LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dead Mark Levinson amp on 04 LS430 - any other options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 07:35 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

That's exactly what happened to me last August, same knocking sound from the right passenger front speaker. I sent my ampilifer to United Audio last September $475 and only used it for a month and a half; it been collecting dust since October. I gutted my car and installed a new stereo and all new speakers/amps.

I'm selling my ampilifer for $350+$20 shipping it's a steal- I also have receipt from United Audio should last another 10 years. Let me know ***SOLD*** 10-19-16

-whooodat

Last edited by whooodat; 10-20-16 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-19-16, 07:05 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

As a former reviewer of high end home audio gear, it saddens me to no end to see what is being billed as a "Mark Levinson" audio system.

ML's home gear is truly top end. Same with Lexicon which is also under the Harman umbrella. While I did go into this with my eyes open, that is I have seen what the car system speakers look like, certainly is nothing special.

As for Nakamichi, while definitely better than the ML setup, it does not compare to quality aftermarket car audio replacements. I owned a LX470 prior to my 2005 UL and while I rocked the tape adapter for a while (sadly still do for Spotify until I do the Vais), I eventually did gut the system for a pretty spendy Apple Carplay based one using mostly JL Audio stuff and the change was astounding. Moreover, the speaker quality in the Nakamichi system was nothing to write home about either.

All the same, it still worked quite well for 15 years at the time of the swap out. And while I have not looked at the LS400 Nakamichi setup, I doubt the driver quality will be much better than what was in my LX.
Old 09-07-16, 09:42 AM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whooodat
That's exactly what happened to me last August, same knocking sound from the right passenger front speaker. I sent my ampilifer to United Audio last September $475 and only used it for a month and a half; it been collecting dust since October. I gutted my car and installed a new stereo and all new speakers/amps.

I'm selling my ampilifer for $350+$20 shipping it's a steal- I also have receipt from United Audio should last another 10 years. Let me know

-whooodat
do you still have the amp?
Old 09-09-16, 08:59 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Yes still for sale- PM me
Old 09-09-16, 04:47 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Junglequac
As a former reviewer of high end home audio gear, it saddens me to no end to see what is being billed as a "Mark Levinson" audio system.

ML's home gear is truly top end. Same with Lexicon which is also under the Harman umbrella. While I did go into this with my eyes open, that is I have seen what the car system speakers look like, certainly is nothing special.

As for Nakamichi, while definitely better than the ML setup, it does not compare to quality aftermarket car audio replacements. I owned a LX470 prior to my 2005 UL and while I rocked the tape adapter for a while (sadly still do for Spotify until I do the Vais), I eventually did gut the system for a pretty spendy Apple Carplay based one using mostly JL Audio stuff and the change was astounding. Moreover, the speaker quality in the Nakamichi system was nothing to write home about either.

All the same, it still worked quite well for 15 years at the time of the swap out. And while I have not looked at the LS400 Nakamichi setup, I doubt the driver quality will be much better than what was in my LX.
What would you suggest to improve the system, or do you think that gutting it and starting over is the better response?
Old 09-09-16, 06:39 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Not necessary Yohimbo! I decided this route because I didn't want a wiretap-in job, I wanted it this way because if I sold the car the person can go back to the ML system with a clean installed of all items. I know Best Buy can tap in so that you can run new speakers and add amps to the configuration with the OEM wires, this is one way to improve the system. I know if you get a stereo guy that knows what he's doing you can pick and choose what you want to do with the ML setup. Me personally I would remove the ML amp and install new speakers and install a 5 channel amplifier to power all speakers including an aftermarket subwoofer. IMO the 8" subwoofer doesn't bring in the bass and sound I wanted thats why I went with a 12". I use to be a mechanic moons ago and was comfortable taking the car interior apart, plus I wanted to clean under the seats and found things that need to be cleaned. I know I did a lot of extra work but in the end it was 1,000,000 times worth it, no regrets at all- plus these 5 speaker setup blows away any 9 speaker ML system!

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please PM me- take care!

-whooodat
Old 10-17-16, 09:15 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by whooodat
Not necessary Yohimbo! I decided this route because I didn't want a wiretap-in job, I wanted it this way because if I sold the car the person can go back to the ML system with a clean installed of all items. I know Best Buy can tap in so that you can run new speakers and add amps to the configuration with the OEM wires, this is one way to improve the system. I know if you get a stereo guy that knows what he's doing you can pick and choose what you want to do with the ML setup. Me personally I would remove the ML amp and install new speakers and install a 5 channel amplifier to power all speakers including an aftermarket subwoofer. IMO the 8" subwoofer doesn't bring in the bass and sound I wanted thats why I went with a 12". I use to be a mechanic moons ago and was comfortable taking the car interior apart, plus I wanted to clean under the seats and found things that need to be cleaned. I know I did a lot of extra work but in the end it was 1,000,000 times worth it, no regrets at all- plus these 5 speaker setup blows away any 9 speaker ML system!

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please PM me- take care!

-whooodat
Is the aftermarket stereo redo possible in a car w/ NAV? Do you have to pull the 6CD player to have space for a new head unit?
Old 10-17-16, 05:30 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I am curious about whooodat's installation.Pictures, parts list or any other info would be appreciated. Was your car nav or non-nav? Considering replacing the system in my newly acquired '03 with 65k, Nav and ML.
Old 10-18-16, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
imho so much stuff is licensed nowadays just to make money, and all roads lead to the same place. Some have Bose, some have Bang and Olufsen, Harmon Kardon, etc. the one that really took the cake, was to see McIntosh in Subarus. What a joke.

Since being a pre-teen, I've dreamed about McIntosh. Being a middle-aged adult, I realize, it will never happen. there's a better chance of buying a dream house with the 3 car garage and professional kitchen, than there is of getting a McIntosh stereo. I have a friend who is decked out with McIntosh and B&W, etc. He said, you guys have your BMWs and nice cars, I have my stereo. The only thing is, his stereo costs more than a new BMW.

However, I would love to hear of any tips/tricks to improve with bang for buck in mind....
Old 10-18-16, 05:25 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Sgretchko,

-Pioneer BT/DVD double-din / beatsonic kit- $622 >>> https://www.carid.com/2004-lexus-ls-...-17227424.html
- (1) Kenwood 4 channel amp- $194
-- (4) JBL GX602 $155
-Rockford Fosgate loaded subwoofer with slim box.- $175
-Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge power wire and 8 gauge ground wire- going to the distribution blocks, JL Audio 16 gauge speaker wire (90 feet of it), RCA's, Bass controller, (2) distribution blocks= $355

TOTAL= $1,501 parts only

The toughest part of this project was running the speaker wire throughout the car, fishing it through the rubber booties of the all the doors, and customizing the speaker brackets (Dremel).

Last edited by whooodat; 10-19-16 at 03:11 PM.