LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you pay for your recent LS430 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 03:46 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002, Platinum Blue Metallic, 72K miles,UL, 12/2014, excellent condition was owned by an 89 year old woman who passed away, some records, Dealer, month on internet, Houston Texas had shipped to N. Florida ,Ebay $13,000
Old 02-15-17, 11:42 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One last comment on the Mercedes; I was going through all of the service records as I am sending them to the dealer where I traded it. I forgot to bring them with me when I picked up the Lexus.

Over a 4 year period, and 106,000 miles I spent $11,087.50 on parts and service. This doesn't include a few oil changes as I sometimes would just toss the receipts. This was a 2005 E500 4Matic wagon, and I did no mods other than tinted the windows. Most of the work was done by me, so it would have been a much higher amount if I had to go to the dealer or an indy for service. I loved all of my Mercedes over the years, but after seeing these figures, I think it's going to be a while before another Benz moves into my garage!

So far, I am loving the Lexus! I just have to get a key made as I only have one and the body is cracked. I see lots of threads about keys, so I'll follow the lead of those who have done this before!

Thanks!

Rick
Old 02-15-17, 11:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma25
One last comment on the Mercedes; I was going through all of the service records as I am sending them to the dealer where I traded it. I forgot to bring them with me when I picked up the Lexus.

Over a 4 year period, and 106,000 miles I spent $11,087.50 on parts and service. This doesn't include a few oil changes as I sometimes would just toss the receipts. This was a 2005 E500 4Matic wagon, and I did no mods other than tinted the windows. Most of the work was done by me, so it would have been a much higher amount if I had to go to the dealer or an indy for service. I loved all of my Mercedes over the years, but after seeing these figures, I think it's going to be a while before another Benz moves into my garage!

So far, I am loving the Lexus! I just have to get a key made as I only have one and the body is cracked. I see lots of threads about keys, so I'll follow the lead of those who have done this before!

Thanks!

Rick
Cool, congrats! Pretty darn nice of you to give them the records. My cousin kept track of his 1995 M3, which he had from 1997 through 2007, and he said he spent around 25k in maintenance and repairs, he doesn't do anything himself but sought out indies...the car was mint in 2007 so I said I'll give you $4k for it if that's all you're asking, and he said nah you don't want it, needs a lot of work....I've had my BMW for 10 yrs, it has 53k, and I really haven't spent much on it....luckily did the ABS pump myself so < $500....all else maintenance, plugs, tires, brakes, oil, then again even at 53k, dealer wanted to replace front thrust arm bushings and rear shocks....

Looked up the specs on the E500, nice HP and torque, especially for 2005....(302/339, probably comparable to the 2005 LS numbers, 290/320)..

Be careful with your keys, I have two masters and one of them just broke apart when I was trying to replace the battery, such that I use duct tape to hold the door on....the problem with this is the key does not stay extended. I needed the key when the battery died at the hockey game and I needed to open the door manually...I want to put the wear and tear on the duct taped key, and preserve the other...
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 12:57 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Thanks for the advice on the keys! Have to get that straightened ASAP!

The E500 was a true sleeper. The dual exhaust were hidden under the rear apron, so it looked like a grocery getter. Anyone who got in the car would usually gasp when I stepped on it! And playing around on the roads with other cars was always interesting. Let's just say no one likes to get out run by a station wagon!!

Thanks again for the input and the story about the BMW! I am very happy to be a Lexus Owner!

Best,

Rick
Old 02-16-17, 04:52 AM
LEXUSC-400
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone! I'm a fairly new owner of a pristine LS430 and I'm loving this car! I couldn't pass on the opportunity to buy one in such amazing shape!

Year: 2002
Color: White
Mileage: 36K
Package (ML or UL) UL
Price: $11,700
Date Purchased: 9/23/16
Condition: Showroom (always garage kept, 1 Owner car)
Complete Lexus Service Records? Yes, always serviced at Lexus (I was the service writer on this car since 2006 and I got to know the previous owner very well)
Private Party or Dealer: Lexus Dealer (Where I work)
How Long Did You Search? I wasn't in the market but I couldn't pass this one up
City & State: Boise, Idaho

Old 02-16-17, 05:18 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSC-400
Hey everyone! I'm a fairly new owner of a pristine LS430 and I'm loving this car! I couldn't pass on the opportunity to buy one in such amazing shape!

Year: 2002
Color: White
Mileage: 36K
Package (ML or UL) UL
Price: $11,700
Date Purchased: 9/23/16
Condition: Showroom (always garage kept, 1 Owner car)
Complete Lexus Service Records? Yes, always serviced at Lexus (I was the service writer on this car since 2006 and I got to know the previous owner very well)
Private Party or Dealer: Lexus Dealer (Where I work)
How Long Did You Search? I wasn't in the market but I couldn't pass this one up
City & State: Boise, Idaho

Wow. Another one! I'm amazed with all the low mileage LS's coming out of the woodwork. Nice find Lex!
Old 02-16-17, 05:34 AM
LEXUSC-400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Wow. Another one! I'm amazed with all the low mileage LS's coming out of the woodwork. Nice find Lex!
Thanks 2KHarrier! The only problem I'm having with the car is getting the keys from my wife.. Oddly enough we have had 3 LS430s traded in at my work since I purchased my car and all of them have had under 100Kmi.. we have a silver 06 right now with 80K on it and I find myself wanting another one already lol. Maybe a his and hers
Old 02-16-17, 06:00 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by LEXUSC-400
Maybe a his and hers
That's what I ended up doing. The only thing now, is I rarely drive the '05, since she uses it all the time.
Old 02-17-17, 08:44 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Default 2003 ls 430

As promised, here's a picture of my "new" Lexus. Never thought I would by such an older model, but the price was right and I have other vehicles, but I love this car!! Just had the windows tinted ( I have a fairly severe light sensitivity, so I tint all my cars). I would like to add a set of 18" factory rims in chrome, and keep these rims for the winter. Anybody know of a good source for OEM wheels? Thanks!!

Last edited by enigma25; 04-07-17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 08:46 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Oh, and I have the parking sensor that you can see is broken. Changing out this weekend, and then detail it top to bottom!
Old 02-17-17, 10:40 AM
2KHarrier

As promised, here's a picture of my "new" Lexus. Never thought I would by such an older model, but the price was right and I have other vehicles, but I love this car!! Just had the windows tinted ( I have a fairly severe light sensitivity, so I tint all my cars). I would like to add a set of 18" factory rims in chrome, and keep these rims for the winter. Anybody know of a good source for OEM wheels? Thanks!!
Looks like my '01. Window tint looks good. There are many sources for OEM wheels. eBay, Craigslist, right here on Club Lexus, You can post a want ad and see if anyone bites.
One thing to remember, OEM wheels are pricey. Especially the 18' wheels.
enigma25 (02-17-17)
Old 02-17-17, 10:59 AM
enigma25
Rookie

I do like factory rims, and the 18" appeal to my eye. I am going to search around on the forum this weekend and see if I spot anything that I like that looks similar to a factory style. I don't care for 'over styled' wheels, but everyone has their preference! Do you think the chrome will be too flashy? A friend suggested trying to Plasti Dip the current wheels in a titanium finish. He said it's removable if you don't like it. Decisions, decisions...! I love building my wish list of things I would like to do. Very interested in the lowering springs from Tanabe. Very mild lowering and a little crisper handling.
Last thing; this forum has a lot of information compared to some of the MBZ forums and it seems to have a lot less bashing of others posts.
Old 02-17-17, 11:04 AM
2KHarrier

I do like factory rims, and the 18" appeal to my eye. I am going to search around on the forum this weekend and see if I spot anything that I like that looks similar to a factory style. I don't care for 'over styled' wheels, but everyone has their preference! Do you think the chrome will be too flashy? A friend suggested trying to Plasti Dip the current wheels in a titanium finish. He said it's removable if you don't like it. Decisions, decisions...! I love building my wish list of things I would like to do. Very interested in the lowering springs from Tanabe. Very mild lowering and a little crisper handling.
Last thing; this forum has a lot of information compared to some of the MBZ forums and it seems to have a lot less bashing of others posts.
Chrome wheels look good with the right color and I don't think Silver is the right color for chrome wheels. Yes this forum is probably the most civilized forum I've been associated with. Second only to one I frequent, titled "My Tractor Forum" which is a bunch of old men chatting about lawn equipment.
If you install those Tanabe springs, I would be interested in seeing how the process turns out. That is one of the things on my list of "Would like to's"
enigma25 (02-17-17)
Old 02-17-17, 04:15 PM
enigma25
Rookie

What do you think a good wheel style/color would work with silver? I'm not sure about the black wheel trend these days. Some cars wear them well, but others not so much. I know tire rack has a feature where you can pick your car and then see what it would look like with different wheels. I'll probably check that out, but I'm very open to ideas and input.
ill be doing the springs sooner than later, so I'll do my best to photo document the process. I just want a slightly more aggressive stance, not slammed, and the Tanabe springs seem to offer just the right drop. I like the fact that I can get an alignment at any shop I choose. Benz could only be aligned at the dealer.
Ok, my evening of searching is about to start and my wife thinks it's great because I won't talk while she watches movies. Any input is welcomed and appreciated!
Thanks All!!
Old 02-17-17, 04:59 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Chrome wheels look good with the right color and I don't think Silver is the right color for chrome wheels. Yes this forum is probably the most civilized forum I've been associated with. Second only to one I frequent, titled "My Tractor Forum" which is a bunch of old men chatting about lawn equipment.
If you install those Tanabe springs, I would be interested in seeing how the process turns out. That is one of the things on my list of "Would like to's"
True, my American car forum was not very nice, you were not allowed to say anything negative about your car, and the avg. age is high. A stranger would join and say how angry they were about their steering rack going < 20k miles, and they'd get blasted by the entire forum. Routinely there would be happy threads when something went wrong at Honda or Toyota, I didn't like that.

Your tractor forum reminds me of when I was a kid, my dad suddenly came home with a 17 HP diesel Kubota....I think it may have been 2 cyl.....as a kid it was simply awesome! It had a front end loader and I cleared snow with it as a 12 y.o.....

I've never liked chrome, but a gunmetal color which I believe the oem 18's are is very nice indeed...I think stock 18's look the nicest on our cars...

Quick Reply: What did you pay for your recent LS430 purchase?