LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 UL 60K @ $22 or 06 ML 38K @ $29?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 05:59 AM
jeroly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 UL 60K @ $22 or 06 ML 38K @ $29?

I need to buy a car (my DD was totaled last year in Hurricane Irene and my Miata just doesn't do the job when we have guests or more than a box of Kleenex to transport), and have more or less decided on the LS 430.

I want a low mileage car that will be comfy for the heaps of highway miles I expect to put in over the next year or so.

I'd really like the features of an UL, especially the air suspension and dynamic cruise control, but there's not a lot of low-mileage ULs out there. The closest match I've found nearby me is an '04 (older than I'd like and without a warranty) with 60K on it. The other downside is that the color scheme isn't exactly to my liking (black/black) but that's not too big a deal.

The other option I'm considering is a CPO '06 ML with 38K on it. It's got the color scheme I'd most prefer (blue/'cashmere') but doesn't have the UL features and as it's a newly acquired CPO car I expect that there won't be much negotiating room below its 29K+ list.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to do. I'm looking at both of the cars later today.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-12, 06:34 AM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the LS430 is pretty much built like a tank, I wouldn't let miles drive the decision. Just make sure the car has been maintained well. Not sure on how much time you have to look, but if you have a little bit of time I wouldn't settle on something that is not ideal. In the end, you will probably regret not getting the color combo or option package you wanted.

If it were me, I would go for the UL since you like those options (I have the UL and absolutely love the options) and it is much cheaper. Keep in mind that the UL will probably have air suspension problems sometime in its life and it isn't cheap, so make sure you account for that. I converted mine over to regular coils for pretty cheap and I don't have to worry about air ever again.

Bottom line, if you think you want the UL options then go for the UL because it really is an amazing car. The dual AC really keeps the car ice cold in these hot weather conditions.
Old 06-23-12, 08:16 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. I love my UL. This forum scared me away at first from them, but knew I would regret not getting all the toys. I have an 01 with 150k miles, drives almost like new, smooth and quiet.
Old 06-23-12, 12:38 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i have the blue 06 ml package,for me there isnt anyone to
ride in the back seat so a UL is useless .
drive both a see which one you like better.speaking from experience buy the color combo that you want.i couldnt live with a black on black car.hope you find one you like.
Old 06-23-12, 03:02 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

UL has these advantages even with no back passengers - massive air filtration from back unit + it's additional cooling of the whole cabin, air suspension, shades to reduce sun, and (shared with CL) power door closing, lots of extra leather, double-paned glass. The back seat toys are just more bonus.
Old 06-23-12, 03:21 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

if my car kept me any colder i would have to wear a parka.all the other stuff i can do with out,ie the cost to repair the air suspension. power door closers,really!....
i think the ul is nice but not light years ahead of the other packages.
Old 06-23-12, 07:00 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Each to his own but even a base LS is already hugely complex. Common faults are the side mirror motors and tilt/telescoping wheel and they are on all trims. Anything ML and above has a/c integrated with the NAV... if you're after simple you need a Mazda 2.

I never thought I'd care about power door closers but they are the bomb. Same with the double-paned glass, it makes a big difference in temperature and noise over the lower trims. I love being able to really firm up the ride with the air suspension too. All 430s are great cars but having the experience of the UL I would still want at least a CL.
Old 06-23-12, 09:01 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for the color you want bro, but if you want all the UL goodies you're gonna have to buy a UL, lol. I have the black on black, and didn't think I'd like it too much but I do, besides I have 3 kids and the black interior comes in handy, lol. The UL is so quiet you get to enjoy everything about the car, but hey whatever LS you get you won't go wrong...Enjoy whichever, but I'd go with the cheaper one, but I'm on a military budget, lol
Old 06-24-12, 03:50 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! Some items to consider in your search:

- Expand to a national search and be willing to travel or buy a car based on a professional inspection. These cars weren't built in high volumes and there simply aren't that many of them.

- Plan on spending a few months in your search so you don't feel pressured to buy the first LS you see, even if it doesn't meet many of your desires.

- Do some searching here and learn how to spot the different trim levels from the pics in ads. Don't count on ads correctly identifying the trim level - dealers and private sellers are often clueless.

- When you get serious about a car, enter the VIN in the owner section of lexus.com to get the full dealer service history.

- Consider the custom luxury trim level which includes all the features of the UL except the back seat amenities and air suspension. However, these are usually harder to find than ULs.

- Remember that this is a RWD car and you'll need to budget for a set of winter wheels / tires.

Good luck & enjoy the search.
Old 06-24-12, 04:28 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jeroly
I need to buy a car (my DD was totaled last year in Hurricane Irene and my Miata just doesn't do the job when we have guests or more than a box of Kleenex to transport), and have more or less decided on the LS 430.

I want a low mileage car that will be comfy for the heaps of highway miles I expect to put in over the next year or so.

I'd really like the features of an UL, especially the air suspension and dynamic cruise control, but there's not a lot of low-mileage ULs out there. The closest match I've found nearby me is an '04 (older than I'd like and without a warranty) with 60K on it. The other downside is that the color scheme isn't exactly to my liking (black/black) but that's not too big a deal.

The other option I'm considering is a CPO '06 ML with 38K on it. It's got the color scheme I'd most prefer (blue/'cashmere') but doesn't have the UL features and as it's a newly acquired CPO car I expect that there won't be much negotiating room below its 29K+ list.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to do. I'm looking at both of the cars later today.

Thanks in advance!

You kinda answered your own question - in my mind so here is my suggestion -

If you really want a lower mile car and really like blue than you need to jump on the 06 - plus its CPO which in my mind is a great insurance policy to have when buying high dollar used cars. That one would be my choice in a heartbeat but I am someone that has no use for the UL- too much gizmos and expensive complexity to go wrong eventually - (but clearly some savvy folks on the forum love their ULs so there is no right or wrong answer on the UL, just depends on your goals and what floats your boat)....and I do mean boat. : )

If you really want a UL you need to be patient and wait for a color a you like and maybe find lower miles version. I would suggest you not compromise two things - color and miles just to get this available UL. Like Caddy posted you may have to increase search area and it may take more time.

If it were me, and if I was under a serious time crunch, I'd choose CPO 06 in a color I liked and relatively low miles. Others would clearly choose the UL - again there is no right or wrong answer here - every used car buy is a bit of a compromise most of the time. But if you compromise too many factors you will not be happy with it long term.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-24-12 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I would buy the 06. Its CPO, comes with the warranty, its newer, at the end of the model run when any kinks were worked out, and it doesn't have the air suspension which would be my primary concern with the UL car.

You say you're going to put a lot of highway miles on it, IMHO this is the best reason to buy a newer, lower mileage car. The UL is a nice package, but its not so incredible I'd choose a 2 year older car with twice the miles and no warranty just to have it. The LS is a GREAT car, and rides great whether its a UL or not.
Old 06-24-12, 07:28 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The only people that don't like the UL are those who don't own one! Air suspension failure is a popular myth.
Old 06-24-12, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've never owned one but my dad owned an '04 LS430 that was UL, and he had a 98 LS400 that had the air suspension. The 98 had 170k miles on it when he got the 430 and it was showing signs of potential air suspension issues. The LS430 had maybe 100k on it when my mother sold it after he passed away a couple years ago. Air suspension was fine.

Its not that I don't like the UL...whats not to like? I love the air suspension, laser/radar cruise, etc etc its just a question of what is a smarter used car purchase for a given situation. The more complex components there are in a vehicle, the more possibilities there are for failures, especially on an older car when you don't know the types of roads its travelled, how well its been cared for, and you're going to be putting "gobs of miles" on it.

My money would go to the 06 because its newer, lower miles, has a warranty, and has less complex features to repair over time. I've driven UL and non UL's back to back extensively since I almost bought an 05 or 06 LS instead of my new ES back in 2010. Theres not much difference from a ride and drive perspective between the two IMHO.

Bear in mind too, an 04 is going to be 9 years old here very shortly. You start to have issues with bushings and other suspension components, seals, etc that can pop up.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-24-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 08:54 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The two cars you listed are not really comparable. One is older and has double the mileage and the newer of the two is several thousand dollars more so it just comes down to which car you like.I only know of one person who has an ML (I thinks its and 06) and he has had his share of problems with it but if you have a CPO that wont concern you. Both fine cars but I'd take the LS430 hands down given similar miles and same year. Heck I would take the 04 over the 06 and save the $7,000. Even if you have a few issue you would be ahead of the game

I agree with a larger search area. There are some CPO 2006 LS430's out there with the ML package with low miles for around $29,000. Between the two model cars you listed if it were me and I was very picky with the car I wanted and I could find the Lexus with similar miles and cost (both being CPO cars) I would pick the Lexus hands down and I would fly anywhere in the country to go pick it up.
Old 06-25-12, 10:26 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

i guess the op bought a different car,hasnt posted anything but 1 post.

Quick Reply: 04 UL 60K @ $22 or 06 ML 38K @ $29?