LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

First oil change today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 02:21 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default First oil change today

Went about 2,400 miles on the new car dealer's change, and wanted to get some synth in.

Not familiar with the central jack point, and one can't just crawl under to see, so I used the scissor jack with a jack stand

Name:  ki9c_zpseafmgsdn.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  294.0 KB

opened up the panel, rather bent it forward (BMW has a trap door that is hinged, imho the German way is better). Replaced a NAPA select? filter with a WIX XP

Name:  ki9b_zpstydz3kdr.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  237.9 KB

had Mobil 1 laying around, time to pour it in--I measured only 4 3/4 qt. out, so I poured 5 in rather than 5.5

edit: btw removed the old drain plug gasket which was stuck to the pan--it seemed to be metal with some rubber or something, where the rubber had totally deteriorated. Had a 10-pack of OEM which are blue and seem to be made of metal. Pack said "Made in Japan." 90430-12031

Name:  ki9d_zpszzthlzzx.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  631.8 KB

As far as the central jack point goes, the plastic must come off to get to it, right? Because I saw a circular indentation on the plastic, but felt it with my hand and it's not square on the subframe. I think that this point would be ok to hit with the floor jack? It's also on the subframe and exposed, but would lift one side, not both wheels

hmmm is that dampness on the steering rack? Won't know until next time, but will watch the ps fluid...

Name:  ki9a_zpsqj3riqhv.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  267.9 KB

I noticed that on my right side, the splash guard if you will that's in front of the tire, is missing. I'm sure the previous owner had some sort of mishap as the right front bumper is scraped there.

Unfortunately, I can see the screws that hold the underside apron are stripping their way into the whachamacallit, they don't fully tighten, but do hold the plastic. On my Maxima, eventually, they stripped and the plastic fell off....

btw is the "information" on the NAV the same as the maintenance reminder? I put today's date and 5,000 miles (don't really go any further with synth, but prefer it nowadays to dino juice)

The LS430 oil change is no longer a mystery....woohoo! Feel better knowing for sure what's in the crankcase....imho our cars deserve this

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-06-16 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 07:07 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Had a 10-pack of OEM which are blue and seem to be made of metal. Pack said "Made in Japan." 90430-12031
Thanks for the part number. Stopped at a local Toyota dealer the other day wanting to get these and the young man at the parts department said that they did not have access to the Lexus database and could not tell me what the part number was.

What's strange is if I go to Amazon with that part number it tells me that it doesn't fit my vehicle???

As far as the central jack point goes, the plastic must come off to get to it, right? Because I saw a circular indentation on the plastic, but felt it with my hand and it's not square on the subframe. I think that this point would be ok to hit with the floor jack? It's also on the subframe and exposed, but would lift one side, not both wheels
I need to crawl under mine to confirm that jack point. The manual's drawing wasn't all to informative. I might just take a can of fluorescent spray paint with me to mark the spot to make it easier to see from the front of the car.

btw is the "information" on the NAV the same as the maintenance reminder? I put today's date and 5,000 miles
When you startup your car tomorrow you will get a friendly message to change your oil again. The date field is when the maintenance is due next, not the date that it was performed. DAMHIK...
Old 11-07-16, 06:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Thanks for the part number. Stopped at a local Toyota dealer the other day wanting to get these and the young man at the parts department said that they did not have access to the Lexus database and could not tell me what the part number was.

What's strange is if I go to Amazon with that part number it tells me that it doesn't fit my vehicle???

I need to crawl under mine to confirm that jack point. The manual's drawing wasn't all to informative. I might just take a can of fluorescent spray paint with me to mark the spot to make it easier to see from the front of the car.

When you startup your car tomorrow you will get a friendly message to change your oil again. The date field is when the maintenance is due next, not the date that it was performed. DAMHIK...
haha so all it is is a reminder...it was red today. I was expecting to see it on the dash, not the nav screen.

Let us know what you find on the center point, there is a youtube out there (strange I think only 1?) showing it.....also the washers fit the drain plug perfectly. I also got an extra Dorman drain plug with washer--though it's a different material....I think it's possible to get away with not changing it, but it's cheap enough to add to the cost of the job....

edit: apparently there are service, tire pressure, and ac filter warnings.

This one worked, I found a bunch that are incorrect, not sure if for other Lexus:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...red-reset.html

When I did the reset the message was very brief: check VSC (I hope that's normal, did not have a problem earlier today), then "mileage reset" flashes so quickly, you're likely to miss it. This displays on disp 1, where I usually show avg mpg.

also found this, and the first is correct, not sure about the tires and a/c filter:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ghts-on-ls430/

I guess in 2006, this stuff was very primitive. The nav reminder is nothing more than that, I guess.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-07-16 at 05:45 PM.