LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need Inspection in Austin, Texas -- and Shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 06:03 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Need Inspection in Austin, Texas -- and Shipping?

I am new to the forum, almost ready to pull the trigger on a '05 LS430 ML in Austin, TX. I live in Denver (850miles away). The car is gold with 52,000 miles, and the dealer (a big Jeep/Chrysler dealer - Nyle something) tells me it's great and was a trade-in, not an auction car. The pictures look great. The salesman went out to the car and tried everything, even took it for a test drive. Carfax is clean. Lexus records show normal maintenance up to 30,000, then nothing, except a battery replacement under warranty about two years ago. They said that's not uncommon around Austin, where people have small services done in their towns far from Austin. (Of course one never knows...)

Price is $22,5

Advice?
It would be great to have someone to check that car out - I am planning to ship it to Denver. The price of shipping is just over $500, so I figure I'd about break even with miles, gas, air, time off work, etc.

Any advice on shipping? There are quotes from $540 to $800. (open truck). $900 for closed. At $900, I would probably drive, but at $500, shipping seems better.
Old 04-16-12, 06:04 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and Thanks!
Old 04-16-12, 06:58 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Post a request in the southwest forum also looking for someone to check the car over and recommend an independent shop for inspection. I bought my car in Bellevue, WA and member Airtime took pics of the car and recommeded me to his indie Lexus shop for inspection (~$100). Good luck.
Old 04-16-12, 07:12 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Dang I'm itchy to get that car here...
Old 04-16-12, 01:42 PM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Austin. Did you already purchase the car? I don't see it on their website. The dealer is probably about 20 minutes away from where I work. My '05 LS ML is also for sale.
Old 04-16-12, 02:17 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

if its anyway possible you will do yourself a favor to fly down and drive it home.my experience with a shipping company didnt go well.shipped my mr2 from or to ga and had several hundred dollars of damage.
its ship at your own risk.they have a iron clad contract that basically says they are not responsible for any damage.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 04-16-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 02:21 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are asking for an Indy Mechanic to do a Pre-Purchase inspection I would recommend Bearden Automotive.
Old 04-16-12, 05:20 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

My advice is to fly down and pick it up. I used DAS and was very disappointed. It took them over three weeks and they never knew where the car was. It arrived in perfect condition because I paid for the car to be on top in a covered carrier but ti was a terrible experience. It took over 6 months to gat the refund promised when they failed to have the car delivered by the guaranteed date.
Old 04-16-12, 05:59 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Oh I love this forum thanks everyone for the great stuff. Update: had to move quick do hired Auto P.I. To take a look. They were protect and polite -- $149 for a decent but generic check. All looked good. Kind of wish I'd just bought a ticket but gotta work.
Now 2 questions- should I buy extended warranty (non-Lexus) 36k/36mo for $2000. Anybody had experience with those?
As for the transport -- those two stories are my fears!!! Gotta think about that. Trip is long and boring but I hear those LS's are comfy.
Yeah I think they took it off website-- but still on CarGuru -- I didn't look at any on this forum for sale -- didn't even know about it til yesterday---
Old 04-17-12, 04:58 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

if its got a good history and all services were done i would not buy a ext warrenty. these cars are very easy to work on and every thing is all toyota so prices are reasonable if you dont go to a lexus dealer.
Old 04-17-12, 12:44 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all the replies! Update: pulled the trigger, paperwork being sent overnight to sign. I am soon to be a "official" member. (Gold 2005 LS430 ML if you forgot.)

Decided to go with a 5 year, 75,000 mile (starting at the 53,000 currently on the car -- so it goes to 128,000)extended service agreement/$100 deductable per visit for $2,200. Can be used at any shop in the US. Transferable, and can be cancelled with pro-rated return on premium. I actually thought it sounded a bit too good to be true, but.... well, time will tell. (The two year, 24,000 contract was $1800). The sales guy told me they are real sticklers about doing all the recommended maintenance, so I figure that might keep me honest as well. I don't think they require it be done at Lexus, but do need written records. Exhaust, catalytic converters, brake discs/pads, trim pieces (non-moveable) - excluded. Stereo/Nav/Electronics/drivetrain and all mechanical parts - included.

Once I get things settled in, I'll decide about whether I want to do all the maintenance work at the Lexus dealer here in Denver (6 miles away through town traffic) or just have it done at my local friendly mechanic. Maybe do the quickie oil changes here and the major routine service at Lexus? Advice?

I have decided to have the car shipped --- a bit worried, but really can't afford to take the time right now - and it's economically about the same (850 miles: Shipping = $575 ---vs--- Airfare=$250/Hotel $75/Gas $150/Depreciation-tires-milage $200?) I have a good feeling that it will work out OK, keeping fingers crossed. My main problem is the I WANT IT NOW. No, not now, YESTERDAY. No not yesterday, I want this thing LAST WEEK. They say it is insured against damage. They say they won't actually guarantee an arrival date, but 90% chance it will arrive within 4 days of leaving.

Thanks again for all the replies. Feels good to have a place to get out some of my concerns/worries/excitement with people who can relate. Learned real quick that wife could care less. Not a great conversation starter with wife: "Yeah, I know the school called and has some concerns... but what do you think about the Nav with ML vs. the Premium sound system?"

Last edited by DocDenver; 04-17-12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 04:16 PM
ok66
Rookie

Congratulations! Only few more days... You will love how smooth it rides.
Old 04-17-12, 07:24 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Docdenver,

I'm not sure what company you got the warranty through, but I'm not a fan of 3rd party warranty companies. Now many of you are probably thinking, its not possible to get a Lexus warranty, but it is....... I just got one. I got a lexus plantinum(highest level possible).....zero deductable....5yr-60k miles....for 3k(including taxes). Its an official lexus warranty. If you are at all interested, PM.....i will give you contact information.
Old 04-17-12, 08:15 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

OK, PM sent. I'm interested in the Lexus warranty. The Lexus webist says it isn't available to me based on age/miles. What's the secret?

I am getting pretty neurotic at this point - I'm not sure buying a car sight-unseen is something that works all that well for me. It's a bit stressful to send money to someone I don't know for something I've never seen in person. And I'm concerned about the color - I got gold, but really like white. I wanna take one more look at it. I wanna feel the "karma" of the car..... And then the shipping -- still not totally comfortable with that. Normally, at this point, the car would be in the driveway - or on the highway with me at the wheel, allowing the music to sooth my worries. Unlike Amazon, I can't ship it back and just pay some extra postage....
Old 04-17-12, 08:27 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Docdenver, I responded to you.

As a recent buyer, let me tell you......just relax, this is a solid car. Now each cars previous owners may not have put the love and effort us CL enthusiasts would, but this car can take the "abuse". My car wasn't perfect, but i'm slowly bringing her back to pristine quality. There will always be the dings/scraps that is unavoidable. I looked at the car you reffered to, and it looks fine(if you like the gold car!). Its a very nice looking car. With the warranty, basically anything mechanically, you are SET, because that warranty will give you a peace of mind. It will be serviced by lexus, so you know its in good hands.

I set aside a few hundred dollars, got the car immacuately detailed(outside and interior). You may think, a simple car wash is enough, but it isn't. There will be those swirl marks, etc. etc. Find someone who is good, and passionate about detailing. The polishing/buffing/waxing can literally restore this car to showroom quality.

Invest in a great set of tires(just today, I had new Goodyear Comfortred assurance put on, WORLD OF DIFFERENCE......was it worth $1200.....yes it was to me). Get some new floormats(or clean the old ones througly). For $100, you can get new ones. And floormats really make a huge difference in a cars appearance.

Everything i'm telling you is pure cosmetic......The lexus ls430 is a classic, extremely well-built car, that I find any silly excuse to go drive it everyday. You will love the car. Be patient with the process. Remember, if anything happens in the shipping process, you have insurance, call your company to see if that is something thats included in your coverage.

Quick Reply: Need Inspection in Austin, Texas -- and Shipping?