LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 02:38 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ok66
As my understanding, it's for Lexus Link. So, if your car doesn't have the optional Lexus Link module installed (see image from url below), that roof top antenna is only cosmetic…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_Link

Again, I'm looking for that "antenna stick" for my 05 and will be glad to take it out from your garage space. :-)
I'll trade you for a fin antenna lol
Old 04-04-12, 05:07 PM
Jrmitchell
Driver School Candidate

The fin is too hot! If somebody finds a link for one please post it here i wanna get one of those bad boys
Old 04-04-12, 07:55 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrmitchell
The fin is too hot! If somebody finds a link for one please post it here i wanna get one of those bad boys
Think big! With a little effort you can make your LS430 look just as tasteful as this lovely car.
Attached Thumbnails Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-shark-fin-antenna.jpg  
Old 04-05-12, 08:43 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Think big! With a little effort you can make your LS430 look just as tasteful as this lovely car.
LMAO!! Hay if it gives you better reception on your radio why not?? HAHAHA
Old 04-05-12, 11:15 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i believe thats the top rated amphibious car of all time.
Old 04-05-12, 09:20 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waijai
Not my car but someone did swap it out.

Ok, this is actually my car. The antenna used is a Beatsonic USA (Japan made) Fin-Style antenna, available in color coded Toyota/Lexus 062 Pearl White pre-painted unit. This is a functional antenna with copper core shield-core lead inside. While I know for a fact that the 2004 LS430 used the roof antenna for Lexus-Link and cellular devices, strange enough, my AM radio reception actually improved noticeably (possibly not because of the mast getting more radio signal, but perhaps changing the grounding or EMF characteristic on the chassis?) My radio is a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 navigation/AV head unit and not factory however.

I sort of prefer the factory look of the stub antenna, but this test-fit antenna worked fine, mounting securely with good quality 3M automotive tape adhesive, and color matched fairly well, despite the usually difficult color match of any pearl paints.

Hope this helps, for those who are curious.

Oh, and before somebody asks, I'll answer this too. Yes, the rear Lexus emblem has been modified by cutting out the L, and inserting a Griffin logo from the nose of a Soarer UZZ40 in burgundy red color.

Last edited by motohide; 04-05-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 10:58 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the new fad: modifying badges
Old 04-06-12, 11:08 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by InfamousLS
the new fad: modifying badges
Nah, it was more like being stuck at a car show for 3 hours, bored, with a box of emblems, a Buck knife, and can of NOS drink.

Fads? I still look like a geek from the 80s, what the hell would I know about fads?
Old 04-06-12, 08:40 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks! I just bought the car I've wanted since 2004 -- a 2004 LS430 black on black. This freed up my 2002 SC430 black and saddle for my daughter who has craved the car for the last 10 years. I was going to buy a 2007-2010 LS for a lot more money, but Lexus cut about 2 inches of head room out so my 6'4" frame didn't fit. Actually like the 430 interior better.

I love the car and wondered about the roof antenna which my SC didn't have. The screw on antenna part is warped and looks really crazy on, and not so great screwed out. I'll try out one of these Beatsonic FDA7 to cover the current antenna base. Just as cheap as replacing the screw on thing and much easier than attempting to remove the old antenna.

Any words of wisdom on the install. Looks too easy!
Old 04-06-12, 10:10 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnMD
Thanks! I just bought the car I've wanted since 2004 -- a 2004 LS430 black on black. This freed up my 2002 SC430 black and saddle for my daughter who has craved the car for the last 10 years. I was going to buy a 2007-2010 LS for a lot more money, but Lexus cut about 2 inches of head room out so my 6'4" frame didn't fit. Actually like the 430 interior better.

I love the car and wondered about the roof antenna which my SC didn't have. The screw on antenna part is warped and looks really crazy on, and not so great screwed out. I'll try out one of these Beatsonic FDA7 to cover the current antenna base. Just as cheap as replacing the screw on thing and much easier than attempting to remove the old antenna.

Any words of wisdom on the install. Looks too easy!

Hi, if you have long arms to reach the center of the roof, and alcohol to clean up the surface, the rest is screwing on the wire coil on the oem base then peeling the 3M tape. With tape you get one chance so buy some extra in case, and try to get it on nice and straight! That's it. Mine's gone through a full winter, thunderstorm, many car washes, and it's still on there nice and secure. . It's a universal antenna but it fits the contour of the LS well and is color is Toyota 062 pearl white.
Old 04-12-12, 06:30 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Got the antenna in black in two days from Japan. It looks great and matches the color and lines of the car very nicely. The black makes it blend in and seem smaller than it is. If I sell the car, which I doubt for sometime, and if anyone cares, a little 3M tape removal and it will be back to stock with a somewhat bent and useless antenna.

But for now, this is a great replacement useless antenna that takes about 3 minutes to put on. Hard to go wrong as it is self centering on the old useless antenna base and you can re-position it to be straight all you want before you press it down as it sits up on a rubber gasket. When you push it down for the tape to make contact, the rubber gasket seals the base of the new useless antenna and looks stock. A bit easier than my other options like removing the head liner and dealing with a hole in my roof. Or staring at a bent antenna for the next decade.

And I can now stop pondering why Lexus would put a useless antenna on a $65k car. Kind of.
Old 04-12-12, 08:34 PM
ok66
Rookie

Got the antenna in black in two days from Japan. It looks great and matches the color and lines of the car very nicely. The black makes it blend in and seem smaller than it is. If I sell the car, which I doubt for sometime, and if anyone cares, a little 3M tape removal and it will be back to stock with a somewhat bent and useless antenna.

But for now, this is a great replacement useless antenna that takes about 3 minutes to put on. Hard to go wrong as it is self centering on the old useless antenna base and you can re-position it to be straight all you want before you press it down as it sits up on a rubber gasket. When you push it down for the tape to make contact, the rubber gasket seals the base of the new useless antenna and looks stock. A bit easier than my other options like removing the head liner and dealing with a hole in my roof. Or staring at a bent antenna for the next decade.

And I can now stop pondering why Lexus would put a useless antenna on a $65k car. Kind of.
Pictures? Where did you order it? Thx
Old 04-13-12, 10:54 AM
tle99104
Driver School Candidate

check new lists on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190666538309...#ht_500wt_1156
Old 04-14-12, 07:24 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

But I will continue to ponder why people do not read the posts in a thread before responding. ;-)

In an earlier post in this thread, I mentioned the Bluetooth Complementary kit that was sold and installed by Lexus dealers in many countries. The kit used the roof top antenna which both improved phone reception and eliminated the phone interferring with the car audio system.

The installation manual for the LS430 version of this kit - in 15 languages including English - is on the Lexus Europe service website. The manual PDF is too big to post but here is the cover page and page 9 which shows the cradle baseplate and the coax antenna cable leading from it. Interchangable phone cradles that snap into the baseplate are available for many popular phones including iphone.

A similar Bluetooth Complementary Kit is available for the LS460/600 but it comes with an antenna that sticks on the front windshield due to the LS460 not having a built-in phone antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-ls430-bluetooth-comp-kit-install-cover-page.jpg   Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-ls430-bluetooth-comp-kit-install-page-9.jpg  
Old 04-15-12, 11:30 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pics of the faux antenna. I won't call it useless as it covers up the stub from the useless one.

To quote Kansas from a previous post. "Maybe Toyota just didn't want to delete the antenna from North American LS430's for the last two model years (05-06) - I can't tell you why it was kept."

So I still ponder why they put useless antennas on these $65k cars -- but I'm not obsessed with it. I'm sure a couple Lexus engineers scratched their heads too. No harm no foul. It' s great car!!
Attached Thumbnails Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-img_0941-598x800-598x800-.jpg   Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-img_0942-598x800-.jpg   Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-img_0943-598x800-.jpg   Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-img_0946-598x800-.jpg   Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-img_0951-598x800-400x533-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'