LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Options to get USB audio on a 2001 430?

Old 01-12-12, 08:06 PM
realism
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Vais is $200 direct from their site, almost ordered one tonight but bought something else for the wife's car instead lol.
I just ordered the Grom from autotoys for 111.00 shipped and that was the deciding factor on the adapter,

Ill keep this thread updated as I go

R
Old 01-12-12, 08:18 PM
Milan
Pole Position

$111 is sounding a bit better but I might just wait to hear back from you on your experience with it. So far I'm not sold. The last iPod adapter I bought for my Accord was a Dension Ice Link that I bought on ebay for less than $10. Not that was a no brainer. Worked to the day I sold my car over 2 years later.
Old 01-13-12, 06:28 PM
drdarell
Driver School Candidate

Default If you just want ipod connect soundgate works

I just installed a Soundgate LEXPD2 iPod Auxiliary Input Full Controller with Text for Lexus Vehicles 2001-Newer Models, in my '02 LS430. I got the tip from Jabberwock, I found it on Amazon for $79. At that price I jumped all over it even though they don't make these any longer. Works great! I've got an old itouch that I never use, I'm loading it up with music, books etc. and keeping it in the car.
Old 01-28-12, 04:53 PM
realism
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by realism
I just ordered the Grom from autotoys for 111.00 shipped and that was the deciding factor on the adapter,

Ill keep this thread updated as I go

R
Well here is the update as promised....

First off..

AUTOTOYS - They have been the WORST company I have ever had to deal with in my life. When I ordered the unit, I selected my make,year,model AND filled out the special note box which said to them I need the 20 PIN LEX adapter and not the TOY adapter.... Guess what they sent me? THE ^*&^*& TOY adapter... I politely emailed them asking for correct part and got an email right back from the rudest idiot ever.

> New Ticket: Wrong cable sent
>
> I ordered a grom adapter for my 2001 Lexus ls430 and specified when ordering I need the "lex" cable and not "toy" cable. I was sent the toy adapter and not cant install my new unit. How can I have the correct cable rushed out?
----
We don't adjust orders by notes and we don't sell any cable called lex.
---

Okay... WTF?!

SO I email them back and say they sent me something that doesnt work for my car when their website says it does and if they dont have a LEX cable I need a refund.... here is the response

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Our policy is ALL SALES ARE FINAL. We do NOT accept returns.

You Agreed to these terms when you placed the order, since it was displayed clearly in 2 places.
If we were to order this part for you, it will not be for free. You will need to pay for it. If you wish to return the products, you will be responsible for the shipping, on the original shipping and the return shipping. Otherwise, the terms of the sale, all sales are final will apply. Let us know if we can help you. There is no mention that we sell the LEX cable at all in the description, nor was it mentioned that it is included.

These ***** are about to bring the DEVIL out of me.

ANYWAYS

The Saints at GROM AUDIO Mailed me out the correct cable and agreed to RMA refund the one that those morons from autotoys sent...

Got it installed today and it works perfect!!!

Love being able to dump a bunch of songs on a USB drive without messing with itunes and extra software

any questions let me know!

R'

p.s. Cycle Head thanks for all the help dude!!!!
Old 01-31-12, 08:45 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Wow, that's no way to provide customer service. Glad to hear you had it resolved. I will stay away from Autotoys. You can let them know that!
Old 09-11-13, 12:04 AM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to order the same unit, so its work only with LEX cable, right?
How is your unit work? is any troubles present.
Is any start up issue?
I am going to install in my 2001 ls 430, with navy and mark levinson head unit.
As far as I understand, that Grom company, don't have any phone number for customer support.
Old 01-11-17, 06:29 PM
jbonez89
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclehead
I just installed that Grom Audio unit yesterday in my 2002 LS430 UL w mark levinson. It is the same box I added to my Avalon four years ago. It worked well in the Avalon.

Note, their application guide conflicts... One place says "outside u.s. Only". Another says all 2001 - 2009. Their converter box DOES work with my 2002. (Well, it DID work for about 10 minutes, then the amplifier quit because the Grom audio box is defective. Radio and amp work fine when Grom audio box is removed. Now I must ship it back to them. grrrrr)

You should pull the radio first to see which connector your radio has. Mine was 20 pin, and they had sent a 14 pin. Their 20 pin connector p/n is "LEX". They promptly sent the correct cable, but it wasted three days.

If you do get the Grom unit, let me know and I'll put up pictures of where I installed mine.

I have a 2004 LS430 and bought the GROM. I have Nav/back up. The grom works great bc you can play music thru any phone. I did not buy the wireless i bought the hard wire so it charges the phone and plays music. It stopped working bc i noticed it said AUX instead of USB, but i fixed it. You have to switch from radio to CD and as soon as it says AUX you have to hit the NEXT button until it says USB. Works great! Idk if it works with 01-03 bc i have an 04 but it works great on my car