LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Power steering pump whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 06:24 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
When I drive my 04 (110k), there's some kind of very high pitched "whine" at freeway speeds (70-80) when tach is roughly 1,700 - 2,500. Not super loud but just enough to be really irritating. Kind of like a dentist's drill. Michelin tires are in excellent condition. Other the "dentist drill whine", the car looks and drives well. I tried coasting in neutral. No noise. It's not the stereo. No wind noise. There's a slight vibration at idle which is probably engine/trans mounts.

So to compare, I drove an 06 in perfect condition. Elderly woman owner, full service. Didn't make any noise at idle or any speed. No whine. Just like the 01 I sold.

Can hear the PS pump on mine at idle (loud when cold, can hear slightly when the car's warmed up). Could this be the source? I've heard about 04's having a "mystery whine". Mine didn't need a trans replacement. I did a couple of D/F's. Dealer did the second. Shifts are super smooth. Other than the noise, the car is a perfect low mileage car. Any suggests on ways to solve the whine? Am ready to sell my 04 and buy the 06 (10.5). Perfect one owner but not a Sport.

Side note: the 06 isn't a Sport (mine is) but doesn't feel much different. Not much body roll. There is some road feedback. My 01 was soft. Noticeable body roll and totally insulated from the road.
Could it be coming from your drivetrain? Rear diff? What's the sound if you're using cruise control at 70-80? What happens when you take cruise off and coast IN gear? If it in fact was the PS pump, wouldn't the noise still be present? Regardless if the car's in or out of gear, the PS pump is still going to be churning!

The fact that you mentioned no noise while coasting in neutral makes me think it's in your driveline/rear diff. I'm very ocd and I have a similar BARELY noticable high pitched whine, but it's only if she's kept at a steady speed, either using the gas or cruise. (I ask other passengers and they don't hear it!) The slightest deceleration or acceleration and the barely noticeable high pitched wine goes away. I'm going to be changing the rear diff oil soon. Have you ever changed the rear diff oil?
Old 02-27-18, 06:43 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
When I drive my 04 (110k), there's some kind of very high pitched "whine" at freeway speeds (70-80) when tach is roughly 1,700 - 2,500. Not super loud but just enough to be really irritating. Kind of like a dentist's drill. Michelin tires are in excellent condition. Other the "dentist drill whine", the car looks and drives well. I tried coasting in neutral. No noise. It's not the stereo. No wind noise. There's a slight vibration at idle which is probably engine/trans mounts.

So to compare, I drove an 06 in perfect condition. Elderly woman owner, full service. Didn't make any noise at idle or any speed. No whine. Just like the 01 I sold.

Can hear the PS pump on mine at idle (loud when cold, can hear slightly when the car's warmed up). Could this be the source? I've heard about 04's having a "mystery whine". Mine didn't need a trans replacement. I did a couple of D/F's. Dealer did the second. Shifts are super smooth. Other than the noise, the car is a perfect low mileage car. Any suggests on ways to solve the whine? Am ready to sell my 04 and buy the 06 (10.5). Perfect one owner but not a Sport.

Side note: the 06 isn't a Sport (mine is) but doesn't feel much different. Not much body roll. There is some road feedback. My 01 was soft. Noticeable body roll and totally insulated from the road.
Do a drain and fill on your rear diff its super easy, but make sure you use gloves gear oil is like something you would smell in hell lol

Maybe its the pinion bearing?
Old 03-01-18, 09:23 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
yupp the screens in the reservoir i saw it first hand when i was cleaning mine out
Would you happen to have a picture of the EVO solenoid on the rack and what's necessary to do in order to use it as a drain rather than disconnecting the lines at the rack?
Old 03-01-18, 01:55 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Took a while to find a good pic...
The arrow points to the one bolt holding it on. Just pull it straight out which is towards 3 o'clock in this photo. The electrical connector shown just above the cylinder will obviously have to be detached. Once you pull it out be very careful as there are 3 o rings on the valve that are rather delicate.

Last edited by bradland; 03-01-18 at 02:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Catalina45 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 02:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

What owners of our cars that have not had them for a long time (10 years plus is an example) is that many of these symptoms do not necessarily connote to imminent failure. Not every faulty part in the LS430 needs to be replaced because of noise, rattle, etc......Our parts are quite robust and can last for the life of the car, regardless of symptomatic issues.
Old 03-25-18, 10:35 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Drove 100 mi today. Dentist drill whine at 70-80. Parked, get the same whine at starting at 1,700 and clearly coming from the engine. The higher the rev's, the louder it gets. It was quite noticeable after driving 50 miles. One day this week, it vanished. Nothing the whole drive (60 round trip) then back the next day. Stethescope test results: AC compressor quiet, idler pulley quiet, PS pump sounds like sheet metal grinder. Electric fans weren't running. Car has 111k. 90k done by dealer. I did completely flush and refill PS fluid. Totally quiet but noise is back. Anything else I should check before replacing the PS pump?
Old 03-25-18, 11:09 PM
bradland

Did you put the stethoscope on the tensioner pulley or the fan bracket ? I think I would take the serp belt off to isolate all the components. If you still hear it then it's a water pump (bearing) issue or something else timing belt related.

Although your comment re the sheet metal grinder may be very telling...

Last edited by bradland; 03-26-18 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 06:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I started out at 29F this AM, now that I look back, no whine....normally I would have expected it...
Old 03-26-18, 06:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Could it be coming from your drivetrain? Rear diff? What's the sound if you're using cruise control at 70-80? What happens when you take cruise off and coast IN gear? If it in fact was the PS pump, wouldn't the noise still be present? Regardless if the car's in or out of gear, the PS pump is still going to be churning!

The fact that you mentioned no noise while coasting in neutral makes me think it's in your driveline/rear diff. I'm very ocd and I have a similar BARELY noticable high pitched whine, but it's only if she's kept at a steady speed, either using the gas or cruise. (I ask other passengers and they don't hear it!) The slightest deceleration or acceleration and the barely noticeable high pitched wine goes away. I'm going to be changing the rear diff oil soon. Have you ever changed the rear diff oil?
Hope that isn't the problem....because I slapped snow tires on as soon as I got my car, I thought that my whine could be the rear diff, and all my research led to $$$$$ if so.....turns out, as soon as I put the summer tires on, whine or maybe howling was gone....wouldn't a coasting situation if rear diff, still make the noise?
Old 03-28-18, 01:33 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Here's the sound. Sound like the PS or something else? 90k service by dealer (new timing belt, etc). Car was quiet when I bought it (103 then, 111 now). Noise started. Did PS drain/refill. Quiet but it's getting loud again. I guess the other possible is the alternator bearing. Haven't had time to remove serpentine. Feedback appreciated!

Old 03-28-18, 02:27 PM
bradland

Sounds like you have to rev the motor to produce the noise. When you start the car in the morning, first start of the day, you can rock the steering wheel back and forth from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock. If this produces the same noise it's your PS pump.
Old 03-28-18, 03:52 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by bradland
Sounds like you have to rev the motor to produce the noise. When you start the car in the morning, first start of the day, you can rock the steering wheel back and forth from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock. If this produces the same noise it's your PS pump.
Thanks for the feedback. I get pretty much the same noise in the am w/o even turning the steering wheel. Per stethoscope, PS sounds like a sheet metal grinder at idle and gets worse when rev'd. Checked my neighbors Tundra to compare. Very little noise. I've never had a car w/ a whine that I could hear at 70-80! Just making sure it's not the alternator bearing or something else.
Old 03-28-18, 05:41 PM
bradland

If the noise is evident in the am while parked turning the steering wheel, as mentioned, will amplify it. If doing this doesn't change the noise it's not the PS pump.
Old 03-28-18, 05:52 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

When you drain and fill. Was the reservoir screen dirty/clogged? Fluids might not be flowing fast enough to the pump.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (03-29-18)
Old 03-28-18, 06:21 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Default alternator replace

Originally Posted by bradland
If the noise is evident in the am while parked turning the steering wheel, as mentioned, will amplify it. If doing this doesn't change the noise it's not the PS pump.
Turning the wheel does amplify it. I'm sure the pump is a factor. If I just had the noise at idle and cold, I wouldn't replace. It's the whine I can hear at 70-80 that's the problem. A PS pump can make that much noise? It's the same "screeching" sound you can hear in the video. I put the stethoscope on the AC compressor (quiet), idler pulley (quiet) and PS (dental drill).

Quick Reply: Power steering pump whine