Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006)
Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL >

Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL

Notices
LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL

Reply

 
 
 
Old 12-10-11, 06:35 PM
  #1  
cyclehead
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL

I hunted for some tips on removing the back seat. Couldn't find any, so I took pics while I tore mine apart today.

First - Raise both headrests. Seat bottoms come out first. Yank straight up on the front of the seat. Try to yank in line with the friction snaps.
Second - remove the bottom nuts from the seat-back.
Third - Loosen the top nuts from the seat-back. The ones on the left and right sides are behind the black plastic cover plug. To get the center nut, pull straight forward on the plastic trim that's below the center head rest. The upper nuts don't have to come clear off. The metal frame is slotted to let you lift the seat off.

Lower seat retainers (like the dried milk shake? - Thanks PO!):


Bottom nut for seat-back:


Top nut for seat-back:


Top center nut for seat-back:


I needed to remove the switch panel from the center arm rest. I did it the hard way and removed the whole back seat. If you can get the two to four small screws removed from underneath this fod catcher flap, you don't have to pull the whole back seat.


Here's what I was trying to fix...coke or milkshake spilled and soaked under the LCD display. Yuck!


Armrest inner panel removed:


Armrest outer bucket:


Guts laid out for cleaning. Can of corrosion block on the right. I like that stuff!


Prying the LCD panel up, to flush out the coke with alcohol. This was scary. I did NOT want to ruin the LCD display. Don't bend the pins!


I hosed all the printed circuit boards and all the connectors with "corrosion block" spray.
Reassembled - everything works, and the cruddy coke stains are gone!

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-05-12 at 07:03 PM.
cyclehead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 08:53 AM
  #2  
Frankg2
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did your project result in you removing the entire center armrest, and if so, do you recall if there was anything in the way it is installed that would allow you to adjust it left or right? Mine is not installed properly. When it's down, the front is leaning left. When in the upright position the right side sticks further out and is not flush with the rest of the seat back... the left side is fine. In a perfect world I'd be able to loosen the passenger side pivot point and slide it rearward about 1/2", but I've not found any way to adjust this.

My apologies to the forum..I've posted these two pictures before, but I think it's the only way to convey exactly what is wrong. Would appreciate it if you have any thoughts on how to correct this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL-rearcenterarmrest1.jpg   Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL-rearcenterarmrest2.jpg  
Frankg2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 11:00 AM
  #3  
cyclehead
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

That corner of the seat back is the end of the unit. (The passenger seat-back is a separate unit). Looking through my photos, I think you should remove the seat bottom. Then remove the two mounting nuts for the armrest assy (leave all the wiring alone). If you can get the mounting surface of the armrest exposed, then you can choose to force/bend the passenger side of the armrest mounting surface further aft; or alternatively stick washers under the driver's side bolt. One other idea would be to bend the whole seat-back frame aft in the lower corner. I think the nearest mounting bolt for the seat-back is near the center of the car. That corner of the seat-back frame is kind of floating out there where the armrest mounts. Since you show the whole thing sticking out when folded - I'd try one of the two "bend it" options on the seat back structure. Hope these pictures help you see how it all fits together!





http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...rmrestassy.jpg
cyclehead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 04:57 PM
  #4  
cyclehead
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Gee, thanks a lot Frank! I looked at mine just now, and it's bent too! Not quite as dramatic as yours with the armrest down. It sticks out in the up position just like yours too.
cyclehead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 09:32 PM
  #5  
Frankg2
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cyclehead View Post
Gee, thanks a lot Frank! I looked at mine just now, and it's bent too! Not quite as dramatic as yours with the armrest down. It sticks out in the up position just like yours too.
Ha.. sorry bout that. And if you're like me, and now that you know it's crooked, it's gonna bug ya till you fix it.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm still not sure I see exactly where/how this thing bolts on, but it looks like rear seat bottom removal is almost a must, and then go from there. Thing is, that's all some pretty heavy duty steel back there. I can't imagine it came from the factory like this, yet I also can't imagine it got bent by accident. Very weird.
Frankg2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 08:15 AM
  #6  
jayclapp
Lexus Champion
 
jayclapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,093
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankg2 View Post
Did your project result in you removing the entire center armrest, and if so, do you recall if there was anything in the way it is installed that would allow you to adjust it left or right? Mine is not installed properly. When it's down, the front is leaning left. When in the upright position the right side sticks further out and is not flush with the rest of the seat back... the left side is fine. In a perfect world I'd be able to loosen the passenger side pivot point and slide it rearward about 1/2", but I've not found any way to adjust this.

My apologies to the forum..I've posted these two pictures before, but I think it's the only way to convey exactly what is wrong. Would appreciate it if you have any thoughts on how to correct this. Thanks.
I discovered that my 04 had this exact problem from a previous post. Once you notice it, it drives a person crazy. I took my car to my dealer and they adjusted it at no cost. Now it's perfect. I don't really know what they did to fix it.
jayclapp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 01:19 AM
  #7  
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default thanks

thanks for the write up, it was very helpful in removing my rear seat parts
deejayrock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 09:32 AM
  #8  
hippchip
Rookie
 
hippchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: FL
Posts: 53
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by cyclehead View Post
I hunted for some tips on removing the back seat. Couldn't find any, so I took pics while I tore mine apart today.

First - Raise both headrests. Seat bottoms come out first. Yank straight up on the front of the seat. Try to yank in line with the friction snaps.
Second - remove the bottom nuts from the seat-back.
Third - Loosen the top nuts from the seat-back. The ones on the left and right sides are behind the black plastic cover plug. To get the center nut, pull straight forward on the plastic trim that's below the center head rest. The upper nuts don't have to come clear off. The metal frame is slotted to let you lift the seat off.

Lower seat retainers (like the dried milk shake? - Thanks PO!):


Bottom nut for seat-back:


Top nut for seat-back:


Top center nut for seat-back:


I needed to remove the switch panel from the center arm rest. I did it the hard way and removed the whole back seat. If you can get the two to four small screws removed from underneath this fod catcher flap, you don't have to pull the whole back seat.


Here's what I was trying to fix...coke or milkshake spilled and soaked under the LCD display. Yuck!


Armrest inner panel removed:


Armrest outer bucket:


Guts laid out for cleaning. Can of corrosion block on the right. I like that stuff!


Prying the LCD panel up, to flush out the coke with alcohol. This was scary. I did NOT want to ruin the LCD display. Don't bend the pins!


I hosed all the printed circuit boards and all the connectors with "corrosion block" spray.
Reassembled - everything works, and the cruddy coke stains are gone!


I cant see the pictures
hippchip is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove rear seat and armrest dissassy - 2002 UL


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: