LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying tires this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 05:35 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Integrity is a cheap base tire like the Bridgestone 400 and old Energy MXV4 but I have abuddy with a Camry who gets 90 k on them with even treadwear and he aligns them and rotates them. He is from the UP of Michigan those guys are cheap he practically drives em to the chord. When they wore so uneven did they warrantee them?

If you look at tirerack the old Assurances sold like an ungoshly amount of tires for years though I bet the deep rebates helped.They came on my LS from 50k to like 70ish I thought they where fine, went primacy H now Comfortred V.

The new Comfortred's are redesigned. I always got Michelins Hydroedge, Exalto, Primacy but with the rebates and credits from Seas they where cheap enough to take a risk on. I had em up to 125 MPH last week 100 MPH yesterday and every bit as good as solid and my Primacy's. Again 1 2 on tire rack neck and neck in all categories.

If they where 100 bucks either way(this time like 300-400) I would go Michelin but now that I have em I would just wait for the rebates and such next time I need tires. My car has 150 k miles on and I am not so prefectionist minded anymore I just want a tire that handles and balances well. I value the handling of the V over H speed rating it drives like a different car.

Thanks JMO anybody that buys em hope they like em as much as I do.
Old 11-27-11, 02:42 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gdigio13
I was looking the the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity..

EXCELLENT tire for me.....had these on my wife's old ES330. great tire all around. will be putting them on her LS once i get some money together. the Michelin's on there now suck. she is kinda afraid to drive in the rain with those on since they have slid around on her so much.

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
.....I went with Bridgestone Dueler, they stunk almost as bad as the Intergrity, but atleast were acceptable on snow...
which Dueler model? i have the Dueler REVO's on my truck and they have been great. they got me through the blizzard of 2010 here in MD. once these wear out, I'm either going to try the REVO II's or go for max traction & try the mud terrain tires on my truck. but the REVO's have been very good to me for all types of driving.
Old 11-27-11, 08:38 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
which Dueler model? i have the Dueler REVO's on my truck and they have been great. they got me through the blizzard of 2010 here in MD. once these wear out, I'm either going to try the REVO II's or go for max traction & try the mud terrain tires on my truck. but the REVO's have been very good to me for all types of driving.
I don't remember it having a name, but I'm sure it was H/L on the sidewall. where the cross terrains would be sure footed around corners in snow, the duelers would give out just a little, but still be controllable. Integrity were just jun under any snow
Old 11-28-11, 06:37 AM
GatorRay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More tire options for your LS430 - Hankook???

I recently purchased a used one-owner 2006 Silver LS430 with only 32,500 miles. I've now driven about 1,000 miles. Our previous car was a 1995 LS400. This 430 is dramatically improved in every way. It doesn't have the Nav, camera, etc. (but it does have the bumper sensors which are fantastic). I looked for over 6 mos for this minimally equipped vehicle and our local dealers couldn't come up with one. We got our old base model LS400 as a lease turn-in with only 35k as a 3 yr old car but now the same local Lexus dealer only re-sells trade-ins from local owners drastically reducing his pool of vehicles that met my specs. The LS430 was gleaned from a Fla M-Benz dealer via Internet. What a beauty! The Fla dealer put on new Hankook EVO V12 245/45Z/18Y tires. I checked all the specs thinking I really wanted some Michelins like my old Lexus. I never heard of Hankook. It's a Korean tire. There is a distribution (?manufacturing) plant in Wayne, NJ. The Evo V12's are striking with the diagonal water diverting system. (Sure don't want some dweeb puttin' on these babies with the V-channels facing backwards!). A center ridge is supposed to help with even tracking. The M-B sales guy said they use them on most of their tire change-overs with trade-ins. Since it's a Fla dealer that makes some sense as these tires are highly rated for wet road conditions. My wife has subsequently confirmed this great handling and it came spontaneously after she made a short trip in the rain. (She knows nada about cars and tires....). The tread wear on these Hankook Evo V12/Y are rated at 280 vs the Michelin MXV/H at 400. The Lexus manual does recommend 33 psi for these 18 inch tires and I usually keep them between 33-34). When I looked into the source of the treadwear ratings I discovered that it is really a crude guide at best. Tires are evaluated on an oval track (?Nevada) after having been driven for 700 miles. Wear, handling are evaluated but I don't know about noise levels, etc. Comparing one brand tire to another is not likely accurate simply based on treadwear but comparing within a brand or style might be reasonably helpful. Anyway, these Hankook's are as quiet as the Michelin MXV's as best I can tell, however, the LS430 is definitely a quieter/tighter car so road noise is dramatically reduced overall. How the tires will last, I don't know. I rarely get the 60k miles out of any tire. These tires do NOT come with a treadwear guaranty as best I can tell. I don't plan to drive them until the cord shows as one poster mentioned. (BTW, for those who aren't aware of the differences between digital and non-digital tire pressure gauges, don't make that error as I did some years ago. Non-digital gauges are very inaccurate from one season to the next due to factors of humidity, heat, and age of the plastic stick). We do get more rain than ice or snow in our region of north central NC so I like the specs for this tire for handling in the rain. Something tells me that I won't be exchanging them until they're worn down. Any one have any experience with Hankook's, esp the 18 inch Y rated V12 Evo's?
Old 11-28-11, 06:52 AM
gdigio13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Unsober120
well......

A few stores inventory said they had the goodyears, but appearently there are none in the Denver metro area. i was at Sears at 5:00 AM also to find this out.

So I guess my choice is the Michelins. I going to get them installed right now
Let us know what you think. I still have the MXV4's on as I haven't had the time to go swap them. I have 30 days to do so, I suppose I will take a full week to evaluate them but they are certainly louder than the GY. I also read that they get quieter with some mileage and the noise is caused by having a new design with 8 rows of tread. They do also have 11/32's new vs. most other tires are 10/32's new. There are some benefits.
Old 12-03-11, 08:33 PM
IndyLX470
Driver School Candidate

I have 2 Lexus...a 98 LS400 I inherited from my Father and a 2000 LX470. Trust me on this....KEEP the MXV4's! They are great tires and handle exceptionally well. They seem to last a long time and I drive fairly aggressive. One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here...I run nitrogen in the tires on my LS. I've had people argue night and day about this...but it does make the ride smoother and quieter. I'm my truck I think it's a waste...I have BFG ATA's on it so it's kind of noisey anyways...but you will like the Michelins. I'd give them a couple of days...if they ride that bad there might be something wrong with them.
Old 03-26-13, 06:05 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I dug up this thread after a recent rotation. I have 50 k on the Comfortred and 2 tires have 6 and 2 have 7 tred depth. I know folks rightfully run MXV4 and they are great tires also. No issues with the Goodyear and the way future fall sale as above I am getting 4 more if I still have my LS. I drive like 25k plus miles per year so a cheaper tire I can handle.
Old 03-27-13, 07:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I've had the MXV4 Primacys for the last 3 years on my LS430 and love them! My girlfriend has them on her G35 sedan and also finds them to be a very quiet good handling tire. Just make sure you get the V rated tire. Good luck.
Old 03-28-13, 06:27 AM
elindo
Driver School Candidate

I bought MXv4 for my 2005 LS 430. I heard these are the tires to get for this car. So far they seem to ride very smoothly. I'll report back when i get some miles on them.
Old 03-28-13, 06:35 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pretty simple the michelins primacys are the best tire for the money, had four sets on various cars the tires will last 60k... for 175 a tire its not expensive its well worth it.
gas mileage alone will increase a half to full mile to gallon
safe driving
Old 03-28-13, 11:10 AM
jwass94
Driver School Candidate

I just bought 2 new Michellin tires yesterday. They really ride nicely!
Old 03-28-13, 06:00 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I just wanted to give an update on my Comfortreds but it gives you loyal Michelin guys a chance to beat your chest go ahead. I am glad you guys like the Primacies.

I have had both Comfortred and Primacy and driven my LS 140k miles out of 193. Sorry man Comfrotred's just a better tire in my opinion and for like 125 a tire at Sears Fall repeating sale it is stealing.

My mileage went up noticably with the GY versus the Primacy from like 23.6 to 24.5
Old 03-28-13, 09:45 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm usually a cheapskate, but Michelin tires have won me over, and I think they are usually worth the premium.

I've had so many issues with tires over the years. I would probably say it actually ends up costing me more to go with a "cheap" tire as they usually just don't last, to say nothing of the road noise and ride.
Old 03-29-13, 07:17 AM
xsbc63x
Rookie

I just picked up a set of primacy MXM4 from sears, got a great deal (under 800$ for the set of 4 in 18" out the door with tax and lifetime balancing)

I figure Id try the new ones out instead of going with the MXV4.

They will make it on the car for a review after we get a little rain to rinse the salt.
Old 03-29-13, 08:43 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Have Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/55HR17 97H, for 5 years 3 months. Haven't quite reached treadwear bars, but intend to replace next month. Rotate and balance every 5,000 miles at Costco with nitrogen. Never have to air up the tires. Never had a problem. Smooth and quiet. What could be better?

Quick Reply: buying tires this weekend