LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 VS GENESIS 4.6-Desision

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 01:16 PM
LucidSnow
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls430 lol u posted here to hear us chirp in. u didnt post in genesis forum did you? the gensis is very nice car. its better then a acura tl. but its no where clsoe to a ls430. get the ls430 youve already made up your mind haha
Old 11-12-11, 02:54 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Actually, on the Genesis forum, you will find a number of unhappy owners, especailly with the early model(2009). Of course the majority are positive, but there are still a fair amount of "issues".
I agree. Not every owner will be satisfied. Same can be said about LS430. I've driven my dad's LS430 many times and drove the genesis 4.6 couple of times and I would rock the genesis all day. LS430 was too boring for me. Reliability may not be as good as LS430 and so will many other performance cars like AMG's. You will see many owners on genesis forums that own or have owned bimmers, Benz, and lexus's... many even have their other luxury cars with genesis.
Old 11-12-11, 04:25 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ugggh! No offense, but Korean over Japanese? I come from Philippines where the traffic is stop and go, and road conditions are 2.5/10, 10 being perfect. And anybody who buys Korean brands regret it the first year they have it, it's not that it's poorly made, but it's made for the road conditions of Korea, which is even waaaaay better than the road conditions here in US. And plus, you can't beat the luxury and comfortability that Lexus offers. Hyundai isn't on the same level as Lexus, therefore the people in the Hyundai forums are not for the market of Lexus people.
Old 11-12-11, 06:00 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just have to throw in a pleasantly surprised, good word here for the Genesis. Yes the LS430 is a better car, but completely aside from the cost difference it's an older generation. Comparing it to the LS460 (ideally, the GS) is more appropriate, and there I think it does surprisingly well given the cost delta. Lexus has been sleeping a bit and if they're not careful Hyundai will be eating their lunch in a few short years. Few thought Toyota could do it to Mercedes in 1989 either, yet here we are.
Old 11-12-11, 06:18 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KA8
Of course Lexus ls430. This is a Lexus forum. Go to genesis forum. They'll tell you genesis no doubt.

This. Maybe should ask questions at chevy, ford,nissan,acura forums.
Old 11-12-11, 07:16 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything is potential owner expectation. We Lexus owners expect the world of Lexus and Lexus has created that high expectation for us with superb products up to about 2006. A typical Hyundai buyer is not going to expect Tier 1 luxury requirments, and the shouldn't, so a 80% Lexus to them is very very good.

I believe if you take the "H" badging off (or get the Genesis badge) that no one would know that the vehicle is a Genesis/Equus. The new Hyundai vehicles are that much different and better that previous vehicles. However, 80% of a Lexus is still not a Lexus. So, for the same price, get a sure winner and get the LS430. You will not regret it, but with the Hyundai in 5-6 years, you might regret it once the little things starts going (leather wear, fit-and-finish, squeeks, etc.).
Old 11-12-11, 10:01 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
I just have to throw in a pleasantly surprised, good word here for the Genesis. Yes the LS430 is a better car, but completely aside from the cost difference it's an older generation. Comparing it to the LS460 (ideally, the GS) is more appropriate, and there I think it does surprisingly well given the cost delta. Lexus has been sleeping a bit and if they're not careful Hyundai will be eating their lunch in a few short years. Few thought Toyota could do it to Mercedes in 1989 either, yet here we are.
I agree. But, if you're checking what Lexus is cooking/have in store for 2012-2013 models, you'd be so excited like most of people here.
Old 11-13-11, 12:13 AM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes LS430 is the older model here but it is a champ,
Solidly built and what a ride! I had so many Lexuses but this is by far my favourite of all.
Try to get the Ultra Luxury Pkg, it is worth every penny.
Air ride suspension, Rear cooler, Rear reclining seats, Rear heated seats, Rear cold seats, Rear massage seats, Perforated Leather seating that is a pleasure to be in for long trips, Radar based cruise control, and much much more.
According to me, there is no comparision between the two. Lexus wins hands down.
Try to get whatever suits your need. I have bought cars for their looks before and everytime came back to the Lexus.
To me, LS430 defines the Lexus, it is a beautiful ride!
Thankyou.
Old 11-13-11, 07:21 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes - I didn't mean "older generation" in a bad way, we all know how great our 430s are. The ES350 is the more apples-to-apples comparison for the Genesis, the ES is fundamentally a Camry and current Lexus materials and assembly aren't as good as the previous gen. I think the Genesis blows the ES away and is easily in current GS territory, and the GS is way more money.

I'd still take a current 460 or GS over the Genesis but would take the Hyundai any day of the week over an ES. People who haven't done so yet should give the Genesis a drive - it's astonishing what Hyundai has accomplished lately and Lexus needs to up their game for the money.
Old 11-13-11, 08:00 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The greatest marketing campaign of all time was the one where Hyundai convinced the world that people should compare them to luxury cars. In reality, the genesis is not an underpriced luxury car, but an overpriced mid-luxury car. Seems when the world is in a recession, people will tell themselves anything to justify buying the cheaper alternative.

It actually makes sense to compare it to a 430, though, as they share the same price range. I tend to do the same thing and set a price to spend on a car, then look for all available options. When I got my 430, its "competitor" was a new Camry Hybrid.

It is silly to think that the cars would be competitors in any non-economic sense, so you need to decide what your real buying motivation is. The 430, especially in UL trim, still has numerous features unavailable on the Genesis and represents the flagship luxury car from Lexus for those years. If you want something newer, which is about all the Genesis has going for it, then get the Genesis.
Old 11-13-11, 09:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
The greatest marketing campaign of all time was the one where Hyundai convinced the world that people should compare them to luxury cars. In reality, the genesis is not an underpriced luxury car, but an overpriced mid-luxury car. Seems when the world is in a recession, people will tell themselves anything to justify buying the cheaper alternative.

It actually makes sense to compare it to a 430, though, as they share the same price range. I tend to do the same thing and set a price to spend on a car, then look for all available options. When I got my 430, its "competitor" was a new Camry Hybrid.

It is silly to think that the cars would be competitors in any non-economic sense, so you need to decide what your real buying motivation is. The 430, especially in UL trim, still has numerous features unavailable on the Genesis and represents the flagship luxury car from Lexus for those years. If you want something newer, which is about all the Genesis has going for it, then get the Genesis.
my wife and i are looking at houses right now and the biggest difference between us and the realator seems to be that the realator keeps showing us new homes for our price range and i think we prefer an older well established upgraded home to a new home that is shiny and cheap feeling... shinier is not always better to me, whether it be cars or homes.

i love the first paragraph, "The greatest marketing campaign of all time was the one where Hyundai convinced the world that people should compare them to luxury cars." i want this printed on a bunch of bumper stickers that i will go put on every hyundai between my place and downtown the next time i'm walking home drunk from the bars

and btw its not unusual to see a sticker bombing of a particular street in downtown annapolis. on a few occasions i have seen certain political stickers plastered on every car lining both sides of a street... i just laugh and keep it moving

Last edited by sojah; 11-13-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 09:29 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
The greatest marketing campaign of all time was the one where Hyundai convinced the world that people should compare them to luxury cars...
Now Chrysler is doing the same, comparing the Grand Cherokee to the RX 350. Perception is reality in the world of advertising.
Old 11-13-11, 12:33 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i too drove the genesis,a new 8 cylinder and the used 06 ls430.as soon as i drove the 430 it was a no brainer for me.the ride and refinement was the tipping point for me.1 and a half years later and i still love firing up the ls for a spin.
Old 11-13-11, 06:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Hyundai are ugly? An LS430 is one of the most classically beautiful and elegant sedans ever made. Sorry but to my eye the exterior design esthetics on every Hyundai I have seen is a complete dog's breakfast.
Old 11-14-11, 09:29 AM
Radekn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to get the ultra but i'm afraid of the suspension problems
Some of you are talking AMG- i drove my friends 04 E55 with pully upgrade for about 5-8K miles and i loved the power but not the reliability

Quick Reply: LS430 VS GENESIS 4.6-Desision