LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Update DVD or Garmin??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 03:37 AM
64impalaSS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update DVD or Garmin??

What are your opinions on the navigation DVD upgrade vs buying a new Garmin. Obviously you have the Garmin on the windshield and wire hanging down but I am curious about the overall product itself? The navigation software in my 03 is weak at best and after reading numerous posts, the upgrade only adds new roads and while the GUI remains the same. Just curious what others are doing. We would only be using the Garmin on long unfamiliar trips (not too often.)

Thanks
Old 10-04-11, 04:33 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

We have an older 765 model which has performed very well for last 5 years and a newer Garmin 3790LTM - the 3790 is packed with features like lifetime map updates, redlight cameras, speed limit warning, traffic warnings, also easy to upgrade software. Also works very well in pedestrian mode when traveling. Unit is very fast, screen is bright, highly detailed and very customizable. There is really a huge difference between latest portable GPS technology and features and old clunky grainy screen inbuilt units.
Old 10-04-11, 04:45 AM
jwhite4304
Driver School Candidate

+1

Right on, the portable units are the future.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
We have an older 765 model which has performed very well for last 5 years and a newer Garmin 3790LTM - the 3790 is packed with features like lifetime map updates, redlight cameras, speed limit warning, traffic warnings, also easy to upgrade software. Also works very well in pedestrian mode when traveling. Unit is very fast, screen is bright, highly detailed and very customizable. There is really a huge difference between latest portable GPS technology and features and old clunky grainy screen inbuilt units.
Old 10-04-11, 05:32 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

While a modern Garmin unit will provide superior functionality, it looks weird to have two GPS units if you have a ML or above.
Old 10-04-11, 05:53 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
While a modern Garmin unit will provide superior functionality, it looks weird to have two GPS units if you have a ML or above.
Agree the car manufactures have not done us any favors in terms of providing for a convenient standardized portable mount on modern cars. The inbuilt GPS screen and interface situation is gonna get worse before it gets better. At least until consumers start to balk at the highly integrated completely proprietary screen and interface systems on today's cars. These systems will result in early obsolescence and in some cases shockingly big repair bills down the road. Unfortunately the manufactures are not smart enough to join together and create a standard instead they will likely keep chasing and adding features over time using very proprietary interfaces.

I rent cars about once a month and going between VW, Mitsubishi, Ford, Toyota, Volvo (sample of recent cars rented with screen interface) screen interface and options is becoming a confusing mess.

The Feds and insurance companies are starting to worry about the driver distraction and added complexity produced by various clunky interfaces to inbuilt display and control devices. Added features like web surfing and Utube watching don't make for a safe driver.
Old 10-04-11, 06:11 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I can't stand cars with factory navagation. I would go with a nice Garmin unit if I were you. I've got the Garmin nuvi 3750 and it's awesome! It's thinner than my iPhone and it's interface is great.
Old 10-04-11, 07:35 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I originally started looking for a Premium for the same reasons, but once I sat in a UL with the upgraded leather, I knew I wanted a CL. The factory nav was just a requirement to get that comfort. Also, I didn't care for the appearance of the non-nav dash - looked too Toyota-esque.
Old 10-04-11, 08:37 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha! Funny I should find this thread. Did I mention my NAV was a real POS? LOL. May just be time for a new Garmin. But It does look a little strange having two displays. Maybe I will just lock the map out and have the display do Radio and Climate all the time when the garmin is on the windshield as to not look silly. Thats an idea....
Old 10-04-11, 08:43 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received the nav upgrade post yesterday from Lexus with the new lowed price,, perhaps over the counter units are making them drop the price,,

daughter has a new Garmin and I can easily see it is way ahead of what Lexus offers,, was considering an upgrade for my 05 but seriously considering a portable unit for the ease of use and offerings,,

Derry
Old 10-04-11, 09:39 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I have no problem with my Nav. It seems to get wherever I am able to program. Local is easy by entering street address. Very seldom use that however. What I do really appreciate are the buttons on the surround template for indexing and the touch screen.

The newer Lexus have that dang toggle lever. It's a near disaster to use that thing while driving. Just changing the radio station is inviting a crash. Hit the index button, get jerky mouse pointer over radio, hit the return button, move the mouse again, etc. That process just isn't safe for driving. The make matters worse, the screen reverts to the nav screen in about 15 seconds or so. If you want to change the station, you have to go thru the whole procedure again! Crazy. We've gotten a bit carried away with this stuff in a car.

Just a few days ago a young driver swerved across the street in our neighborhood where my grandson's car was parked on the street. She was texting and hit his parked car head-on. Although driving slow, she panicked and hit the accelerator instead of the brake. She pushed the car 15 feet and created $3450 in damages. She was taken away with a bloody nose from her airbag (apparently she didn't have her seat belt on) and not allowed to even exchange any information.

I know this sounds like on of those made-up stories, but it's the honest to goodness truth. My grandson is beside himself.
Old 10-04-11, 10:43 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
i have no problem with my nav. It seems to get wherever i am able to program. Local is easy by entering street address. Very seldom use that however. What i do really appreciate are the buttons on the surround template for indexing and the touch screen.

The newer lexus have that dang toggle lever. It's a near disaster to use that thing while driving. Just changing the radio station is inviting a crash. Hit the index button, get jerky mouse pointer over radio, hit the return button, move the mouse again, etc. That process just isn't safe for driving. The make matters worse, the screen reverts to the nav screen in about 15 seconds or so. If you want to change the station, you have to go thru the whole procedure again! Crazy. We've gotten a bit carried away with this stuff in a car.

Just a few days ago a young driver swerved across the street in our neighborhood where my grandson's car was parked on the street. She was texting and hit his parked car head-on. Although driving slow, she panicked and hit the accelerator instead of the brake. She pushed the car 15 feet and created $3450 in damages. She was taken away with a bloody nose from her airbag (apparently she didn't have her seat belt on) and not allowed to even exchange any information.

I know this sounds like on of those made-up stories, but it's the honest to goodness truth. My grandson is beside himself.
preach!!! So true!
Old 10-04-11, 07:10 PM
casmith
Driver School Candidate

The newer Garmin is a fine instrument. Mine works so much better than the LS430's unit. I will only use the LS GPS if I know where I am going. I would say use your money for a Garmin.
Old 01-13-13, 03:34 PM
ADT60
Driver School Candidate

Thak you all for your input. You helped me in my decision to update my indash Nav. I have a Garmin and thought it looked strang to have two GPS in the car. I was really wanting to update my indash unit. But my wife can take the Garmin and look for places while I drive. I understand that this cannot be done with the indash units. I will keep the garmin and like the idea of locking out the map in the dash as soon as I figure out how to do that. I am glad I purchased yhis car used what a waste of money in the Nav system. Once again thanks I have ordered the update at the dealership I will cancle it.
Old 01-14-13, 05:35 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Technology has spoiled us... we're always thinking what our gadgets have and what is better. Like the main function of a phone is to talk, yet we've loaded it with everything under the sun. Same with portable navs and because of that, it makes us think the indash are no good. The nav only needs to get us to where we want to go and back. The LS nav has dead reckoning which most nav do not have unless you hook it up to do it, so in major cities where most nav signals are good at best, the dead reckoning helps. I think updating the indash and keeping a clean look is better. For me, i would always opt for indash if cost is fair.