LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone else having Rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 03:57 PM
LexusLoyal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else having Rust

The driver's side door of my 2002 LS430 UL, is getting some rust coming through the pain, right above the trim. I had an LS400 with the same problem on the driver's rear door. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. Is there any solution? Its definitely too late to be covered by warranty.
Old 05-19-11, 05:45 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's unfortunate to hear. You're the first one on here that i've heard about with this problem. I don't think there's much you can do other than get a new door. Out of curiosity, was the car parked outside on grass a lot (lots of constant exposure to moisture)?
Old 05-19-11, 05:59 PM
LexusLoyal
Driver School Candidate

Car has always been garaged, but I do live in Chicago, so its had its fair share of snow and salt exposure.
Old 05-19-11, 06:28 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I have some rust spots on the surface of my rotors. It goes away after I drive

Do you detail your car at all? I believe the manual states to put atleast a coat or 2 of wax on a year.
Old 05-19-11, 06:54 PM
94LSon20
Driver

Just you northerner's
Old 05-19-11, 07:37 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey fellow yank!! I am up here in Green Bay area and no issues with rust besides the frame and undercarriage after 135 k miles on an 04. Any ideas if you have a resprayed panel or such. I usually wax her up with Maguires nano every 2-3 months, takes about an hour plus for a pretty good job, the new waxes come off so easy. Hope to see a Cutler A-Rod rematch this fall!!
Old 05-19-11, 07:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Hate to see rust on an LS. Get it repaired as quick as possible because it will spread quickly once it starts.

Salt on the roads up North can do serious damage fast. I remember driving in Chicago in the 70's and being able to see the spare tire and misc junk in car's trunk while driving alongside because they had such large rust holes in the car.

Down here in Dallas you see 30 year old cars without a spec of rust on them - we get some small amount of winter, with snow and ice but they never ever use salt on the roads and I think that the critical difference.

Of course modern cars are much more rust resistant - body panels are dipped and chemically treated to resist rust. Primers and paint are way more protective.
Old 05-19-11, 09:22 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Spray the affected area with some rust inhibitor to prevent further spreading until proper repair can be made.. If you don't want your door to be an eye sore from temporarily spray treatment of a different color than your doors current color I recommend using Rust Oleum Clear Rust Inhibitor Spray ... cost around $10 a can
Old 05-19-11, 10:00 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no rust here... CA's weather is awsome
Old 05-19-11, 10:05 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no snow, no salt, no rust! love cali!
Old 05-20-11, 12:45 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLoyal
The driver's side door of my 2002 LS430 UL, is getting some rust coming through the pain, right above the trim. I had an LS400 with the same problem on the driver's rear door. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. Is there any solution? Its definitely too late to be covered by warranty.
I've seen this happen to a guy i know. His door skins have been changed and after some time started to rust all around the door edges.
Old 05-20-11, 05:35 AM
cdnguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same car - 2002 LS430 UL and am getting rust in the exact same spot - right in the middle of the driver's door, just above/right at the trim. I thought it was an anomoly for a Lexus - but obviously not. I have to say I'm very disappointed.

While I live in Canada, this is not a spot really subject to salt etc. - unlike the undercarriage or the front of the car.

My body shop has bought a whole new door skin to put on - their rationale being that the manhours put in to repair the current rust, and to put in new metal etc. (I intend on keeping the car for a lot longer) is almost as much as a new skin - so the new skin is the preferable route.

So $1700 later, my car looks and performs the same.
Old 05-20-11, 08:06 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Yikes - sorry to hear that.

I know the underside gets hit really bad but top surfaces get it also - when you are driving on a wet salted road (particularly at freeway speeds with other traffic) you are essentially driving through a salt water solution atomized mist that's about 5-6 feet high. That's about as corrosive an atmosphere as you get in normal world for something made of steel.
Old 05-20-11, 02:38 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

While rust is certainly more prevelent in the salt prone states, auto manufacturing has come a long way since the 80-90's. I rarely see cars rust here in Green Bay area on body panels bumpers, etc. of newer cars like the days gone by. Underbodies still rust of course.

Car washes are everywhere and clearcoat paint may be a real improvement. I do remember days when rust was just common. To this day Dodge Ram pickups are unsightly after a few years.

Having said that my next car will be from a warm weather state if I can help it.
Old 05-20-11, 05:03 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Living in a rust belt state (Indiana) I have to be very vigilant about rust. My '02 LS430 is spotless but I check it out, stem to stern, 2x each year looking for rust. I also run it through a carwash with underbody spray in the winter when it does get salted. The snow has no effect. Its that #$%# salt!

I know this will not sound very appealing to most, but if I find an area that is showing signs of rust or is very prone to rust, I grease it. Yep. Like inner wheel wells. I clean it up best I can then smear with a thin coat of axle grease. Brake lines, ditto. Messy? You bet. But I have not found anything that compares to the rust-fighting abilities. And I have tried all kinds of things from rustoleum paint, rust inhibiting paint, rust-resolver and plain old motor oil (oil comes close but does wash off).

I envy you guys in the salt-free states.

Quick Reply: Anyone else having Rust