LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 06:25 AM
MDEC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Routing the Sirius tuner wires to the glove box

Once you shove the iPod connector from behind the CD player, it easily pops out behind the glove box for you to grab. Once the iPod connector is through, you can use it to help route the other wires. This is a view from behind the CD player:
Name:  DSC01146.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  DSC01145.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  74.5 KB

Use the iPod connector as a fish-tape to lead the other Sirius wires to the glove box (fishing the SCC1 wire and the antenna wire to the glove box). Tape the other wires one at a time to the iPod connector wire and gently pull them to the glove box:
Name:  DSC01161.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  59.4 KB

Last edited by MDEC; 04-03-11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 06:55 AM
MDEC
Rookie

I used rug non-skid stuff to wrap the vaistech units. You can buy it at Home Depot. I thought this would avoid rattles:
Name:  DSC01150.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  143.5 KB

Here's how I installed the Vaistech units behind the CD player. I had some foam sitting around and shoved that in too.
I tried to get all three units behind the CD player, but it was really tight, so that's when I made the decision to mount the SCC1 in the gove box. The SL2i is mounted the lowest in the space behind the CD player (it's at the bottom in this picture), and the SL2s is directly under where the CD/tape Player will reinstall:
Name:  DSC01163.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  164.9 KB

Last edited by MDEC; 04-06-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 08:10 AM
MDEC
Rookie

With all the added wires, the CD player is a little bit of a struggle to push back in, but it will all fit. You also have to push some wires around to slip the CD player back in... Same for the CD-player-door/phone-drawer panel that reinstalls next. Just make sure wires are not behind the phone drawer as you push it back in. Once installed, check to make sure the door and drawer operate smoothly before you put the three screws back in along the bottom.
Name:  DSC01157.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  84.4 KB

I realize I need some closure pictures to wrap this story up...I'll follow up with those within the next few days

Last edited by MDEC; 04-08-11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 08:31 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent and very thorough writeup! I didn't want to do this initially, but the more I see these threads the more inspired I get....maybe this will be my summer project.
Old 04-03-11, 10:42 AM
MDEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Excellent and very thorough writeup! I didn't want to do this initially, but the more I see these threads the more inspired I get....maybe this will be my summer project.
Thanks, CarGuy89!
It really is easier than it appears. If you can change your oil, you can accomplish the Vaistech install. With a wife, two daughters, and a female cat, I wanted to accomplish something manly for a change (right now I am at Somerset Mall typing this at the Apple store while I wait for the three of them shopping...Very unmanly.).

Again, I plan to add some wrap-up final pictures soon.

Both the Sirius and the iPod control through the nav screen, just like my wife's new Taurus....Having the iPod is really great. There's always a song I like! The CD player not being cabable of playing mp3 files almost makes the iPod a requirement.

Last edited by MDEC; 04-03-11 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 11:53 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread is awsome, i really wanted to do this but.. i wanted to see how it looks like on the navi screen. can you post a video or picture of the layout? i would really appriciate it !
Old 04-03-11, 11:59 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!
Although I am not gonna install an ipod adapter, it shows very clearly how to remove parts of the dashboard/center console.
I need that to repair a switch (or to be more precise: a lamp inside a switch).
Thank you!

Jac
Old 04-06-11, 11:41 AM
MDEC
Rookie

Default SL2s and SL2i on nav screen

Originally Posted by BiggVinh
this thread is awsome, i really wanted to do this but.. i wanted to see how it looks like on the navi screen. can you post a video or picture of the layout? i would really appriciate it !
First, this picture is to prove it all went cleanly back together:
Name:  DSC01180.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  122.6 KB

Here is the Sirius interface screen. Push the TEXT button and you see the text message for the station:
Name:  DSC01177.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  73.4 KB
Name:  DSC01178.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  53.6 KB

Here is the iPod interface screen. Each disc number is a playlist. You can have up to 99 playlists. I took about 300 songs and split put them into 12 playlists with alphabetical names. So, I have about 25 songs per playlist (or disc number) arranged alphabetically by the artists' names. I can find a song I want fairly quickly this way. I also have a playlist with all songs, so I can hit random play of all my songs:
Name:  DSC01175.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  DSC01176.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by MDEC; 04-08-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 12:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MDEC
First, this picture is to prove it all went cleanly back together:

Here is the Sirius interface screen. Push the TEXT button and you see the text message for the station:

Here is the iPod interface screen. Each disc number is a playlist. You can have up to 99 playlists. I took about 300 songs and split put them into 12 playlists with alphabetical names. So, I have about 25 songs per playlist (or disc number) arranged alphabetically. I can find a song I want fairly quickly this way. I also have a playlist with all songs, so I can hit random play of all my songs:

How in the world is your nav screen displaying that many characters of a title? . Mine seem to only display a few on ipod and Sirius as i have the Vaistech ipod adapter also and the factory installed Sirius. Does anyone else have an idea???
Old 04-06-11, 01:43 PM
MDEC
Rookie

Yes, from some quick research before I bought the SL2s and SL2i, I understood them to display a maximum of 16 characters...but as you can see, the track title is 29 spaces...Go figure.
Old 04-06-11, 01:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I use only an iPod with my VisaTech unit and the display looks just as pictured above. My playlist consists of albums only. DISC is then whatever title I have assigned to that album (I make the titles the name of the artist with a dash and then the title of the album). The playlist is alphabetical. TRACK then displays the name of each track as it plays.

I generally want to hear more the newest albums, so I number them 1, 2, 3, etc in from of the artist name. This places them at the top of the playlist. When you tire and want to move them into the alphabetical list, you just remove the number.

I suppose there are a number of ways to generate and use a playlist, but this works for me. I put the playlist into an excel spreadsheet with artist and corresponding album title. That way I can print out a copy of the playlist, which helps because I currently have about 90 albums in my iPod.
Old 04-06-11, 01:53 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This has me stompted! At first i didn't see why they made so much space and not use it. No it occurs to me that the space provided can be used to display maybe all of a song or title. Now i need to know how to get it to do it.
Old 04-06-11, 02:17 PM
MDEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I use only an iPod with my VisaTech unit and the display looks just as pictured above. My playlist consists of albums only. DISC is then whatever title I have assigned to that album (I make the titles the name of the artist with a dash and then the title of the album). The playlist is alphabetical. TRACK then displays the name of each track as it plays.

I generally want to hear more the newest albums, so I number them 1, 2, 3, etc in from of the artist name. This places them at the top of the playlist. When you tire and want to move them into the alphabetical list, you just remove the number.

I suppose there are a number of ways to generate and use a playlist, but this works for me. I put the playlist into an excel spreadsheet with artist and corresponding album title. That way I can print out a copy of the playlist, which helps because I currently have about 90 albums in my iPod.
Yes, that's a great idea. Although I don't have albums, I do have multiple songs by a single artist. I could make a plalylist for each artist. (For example, I would make a playlist called "Beatles" for all the Beatles songs.) I think this would make it easier to search for a particular song than my present method of alphabetical catagory playlists.

Of course, most of the time I just put on the playlist that has all my music and hit random play.

Last edited by MDEC; 04-06-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 03:18 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread!! Have you tried playing video through the ipod and on the go?
Old 04-06-11, 03:55 PM
MDEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muti007
Great thread!! Have you tried playing video through the ipod and on the go?
No, I chose to install the SL2i-UP for the iPod. It does not have the video capability, just audio.

Vaistech does have a unit that allows audio and video, the SL2Vi.

I selected the SL2i-UP audio-only unit for the following reasons:
1)I didn't see myself watching video in my car.

2)I believe I read that the video can only play with the car parked.

3)Even if the video played with the car moving, I don't see my kids watching it from the rear seat...too far away. They have their own iPods and DVD players. My wife wouldn't watch it either. She has her own laptop with cellular internet on trips.

4)The SL2Vi (with video) is $150 more that the SL2i-UP (audio-only)... $150 extra for something I won't use.

5)Installing the SL2i-UP does not require removing the nav unit.
The SL2Vi does require removing the nav screen, something I wanted to avoid.

Last edited by MDEC; 04-06-11 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation