ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Ignition switch won't turn (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/544196-ignition-switch-wont-turn.html)

Autolab 12-30-10 06:34 PM

Ignition switch won't turn

I have a new to me 2004 LS430 with Smart Access. All of a sudden the key switch won't turn to start the car, with the key in or out.
Any suggestions?

jmscott 12-30-10 06:43 PM

move the steering wheel back & forth, just like a keyed ignition that's locked...

Autolab 12-30-10 06:49 PM

Thanks, that used to work on my '98. It turns out that it was the engine immobilizer.
You have to turn off the Smart Access and then put the key in the switch and then it will turn. Manuals are a wonderful thing when you read them.

Jam1986 01-03-11 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Autolab (Post 6029148)
Thanks, that used to work on my '98. It turns out that it was the engine immobilizer.
You have to turn off the Smart Access and then put the key in the switch and then it will turn. Manuals are a wonderful thing when you read them.

Hi, yesterday i am suffering the same problem too, mine is year 2001 with smart access in Hong Kong.

I have tried:
to turn with Key in/out the switch,
turning off the smart access button underneath, and insert the smartkey into the switch,
tried to turn the steering back and forth although my LS is parking on a flat land,

but no luck

I find everytime i tried to turn the switch, my smart key blinks a red light, i also discovered the Smart key & lock LED at the dash board keys keeps twinkling when i am inside the car...is it telling the remote is out of battery?

Many thanks!

CarGuy89 01-03-11 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jam1986 (Post 6035247)
Hi, yesterday i am suffering the same problem too, mine is year 2001 with smart access in Hong Kong.

I have tried:
to turn with Key in/out the switch,
turning off the smart access button underneath, and insert the smartkey into the switch,
tried to turn the steering back and forth although my LS is parking on a flat land,

but no luck

I find everytime i tried to turn the switch, my smart key blinks a red light, i also discovered the Smart key & lock LED at the dash board keys keeps twinkling when i am inside the car...is it telling the remote is out of battery?

Many thanks!

Try putting in the new battery. Maybe the manual has something in it. Or, call your local Lexus dealer and ask them. I didn't even know 01-03s had smartaccess as an option! What does your key look like?

caddyowner 01-03-11 11:55 AM

^^^
I think smart-access was available in overseas markets before 2004.

Jabberwock 01-03-11 01:11 PM

I have had the ignition lock balk and refuse to turn a couple of times in my car. I have smart key. It turned after I wiggled the steering wheel around as I tried to turn the ignition. It has only happened 2-3 times in 1.5 years so far but each time it freed up with turning the steering wheel slightly. I will have Lexus look at it on my next oil change.

caddyowner 01-03-11 06:48 PM

I remember reading somewhere (owners manual?) that you have to remember to push the ignition switch in before turning it. Sometimes I forget that simple step and it just sits there not turning.

chris81964 01-03-11 07:25 PM

Had the same problem when I got my car. The steering lock kicked in. Wiggle the steering wheel as suggested and you will be fine. Treat it the way you would as if you had a normal key and the steering locked.

Twix 01-03-11 09:12 PM

I went to Lexus dealer (well my car was delivered there) after once this happened and I could NOT unlock it (I damaged the bearings from moving the steering like a maniac), and on my instruction they have grinded the steering lock metal peace that actualy gets stuck...it also means that the motor that is moving that peace in an out of the steering column is starting to fail (and it is a very expensive part as they don't have the motor as a part but the whole sterring lock mechanism)....

I don't have a reason to lock the steering wheel, and after that peace of metal was grinded - no more problems.

Jam1986 01-03-11 10:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CarGuy89 (Post 6035825)
Try putting in the new battery. Maybe the manual has something in it. Or, call your local Lexus dealer and ask them. I didn't even know 01-03s had smartaccess as an option! What does your key look like?

Attachment 460696

Attachment 460697

I think Smart access is available in all series of UL in Hong Kong. I think I will try to change the remote battery this evening. (the two master keys failed at the same time?)

BTW, i feel the steering wheel is actually locked and only allow a very slight turn (about 5degree). And i am afraid i will break any mechanics if i force to turn it.

I always push the switch before turning it, this is not the case Caddyowner but thanks for the reminder:)

caddyowner 01-04-11 05:11 AM

Look at the bright side, I used to own an 02 Corvette. The C5 Vettes had a number of reported cases of locked steering columns - sometimes while the vehicle was in motion. GM didn't acknowledge the issue for a number of years and their eventual fix was to cut off the gas if the computer ever noticed that the steering column was locked while the vehicle was in gear. Many owners installed an aftermarket column lock defeat circuit that tricked the computer into believing the column lock was working fine after the owner manually cycled the lock to the open position and then disconnected all power to it. Installation was a PITA as it entailed removing a number of interior trim components and laying on the floor of a vette looking up - trying not to cut the wrong wires. The lock was electro-mechanical, separate from the dash-mounted key. My theory is there a spurious signal was generated by something that triggered the lock to engage at incorrect times.

CarGuy89 01-04-11 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jam1986 (Post 6037376)
I think Smart access is available in all series of UL in Hong Kong. I think I will try to change the remote battery this evening. (the two master keys failed at the same time?)

BTW, i feel the steering wheel is actually locked and only allow a very slight turn (about 5degree). And i am afraid i will break any mechanics if i force to turn it.

Yeah it definitely sounds like steering lock, not a bad battery. Either see the manual or call the dealer to ask how to safely get the car out of steering lock. If it's anything like a normal car, wiggle the wheel (without using too much force) and turn the ignition. Hong Kong is a beautiful city btw! Stayed there for a few days on vacation a few years ago. Gotta love the sweet light shows at night with the buildings! We also visited the top of a mountain (had restaurants and shops there) and saw a breathtaking view of the city from above as well as sunset + night view.

Caddyowner: man that sounds really scary. I've always been a huge admirer of the C5. I will now think twice about picking one up though!

caddyowner 01-04-11 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by CarGuy89 (Post 6037699)
Caddyowner: man that sounds really scary. I've always been a huge admirer of the C5. I will now think twice about picking one up though!

Don't let that scare you off. Be sure to get a manual transmission and install the column lock defeat and skip-shift disable mods. (eliminates the factory "feature" that forces you to shift from 1st to 4th during slow acceleration) The cars have their share of GM interior cheapness (squeaky plastics and rocking seats), but they are great summer drivers. Buying a used one in the midwest works out well because most are low mileage and have not been driven in the winter. Many southern Vettes are daily drivers and look it.

CarGuy89 01-04-11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by caddyowner (Post 6037780)
Don't let that scare you off. Be sure to get a manual transmission and install the column lock defeat and skip-shift disable mods. (eliminates the factory "feature" that forces you to shift from 1st to 4th during slow acceleration) The cars have their share of GM interior cheapness (squeaky plastics and rocking seats), but they are great summer drivers. Buying a used one in the midwest works out well because most are low mileage and have not been driven in the winter. Many southern Vettes are daily drivers and look it.

Hehe it will be a few yrs before I can afford such a beast. Haven't even started med school yet:cry:. Plus I need to wait till I'm like 30 something so insurance will be reasonable for me. My ideal garage is pretty simple: One luxury car (like the LS) and one sports car (I'd like a late 80s or mid 90s 911 one day...probably will start with American muscle though like a Mustang GT or C5/C6 Vette..tons of fun without ridiculous bills).