LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another Transmission Fluid Thread

Old 10-16-10, 05:12 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
^ damn you found a lexus dealer to actually change out the fluid? All the dealers near me wont touch it lol....

My dealer gets all moody if I bring a container for the oil, like why are you testing it blah blah..
When I walked into the service rep's office with the container, I told him I wanted a urine sample of the mechanic who was going to work on my car.
Old 10-16-10, 05:22 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
When I walked into the service rep's office with the container, I told him I wanted a urine sample of the mechanic who was going to work on my car.
LOL Don't give them any more ideas for optional services they could charge for.
Old 10-21-10, 10:42 AM
fastimes13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quirky Behavior of Transmission

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
I have about the same mileage as Jim (98k) and I had mine changed at Mungenast Lexus here in STL a couple of weeks ago. The same quirky behaviors that were there before they changed it were there afterward. The biggest problem I have is that as I approach a stopping point, if I don't give the car sufficient time and hit the accelerator it jerks into gear at slow speeds. Also, when I'm coasting down a hill toward a stop and hit the brakes the RPM will occasionally rise a few hundred before it fully shifts to stop. This is the second 6 speed transmission I've owned with such annoyances, the first being in my 2003 745i (that was a ZF, this is an Aisin-Warner).

My only option is to have the low speed shift issue TSB done to this car at 170 bucks labor time, I have a feeling that isn't going to do a damn thing though and I'm confident that had the previous owner done more regular fluid changes I wouldn't be having these quirks.

I haven't seen anyone conclusively state whether that TSB actually did anything (TSB, not the recall) but it would be nice to know for 2004 owners.
Have you had any success isolating the root cause of the quirky behavior of your transmission. I am experiencing the same issues (coasting down a hill, quick rise on RPM, jerks into gear at low speeds, etc.), 2006 LS430, ~75K miltes.
Old 10-22-10, 01:03 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes13
Have you had any success isolating the root cause of the quirky behavior of your transmission. I am experiencing the same issues (coasting down a hill, quick rise on RPM, jerks into gear at low speeds, etc.), 2006 LS430, ~75K miltes.
Unfortunately no, I have not had any success in rectifying my transmission issues. It is both encouraging and disconcerting to see that you are having the exact same problems as I am and here's why... you have a 2006. So essentially, your car already HAS the TSB update as part of its software from the factory from what I understand.

At this point I am relatively close to just trading the thing in. But I may still consider keeping the car and paying to have the TSB done as I received an offer from the warranty company to extend my short term extended warranty a little bit longer. This of course might provide me some level of assurance if it still ends up getting worse or breaking altogether. Seeing that your 2006 is exhibiting the exact same behavior is not an encouraging sign though.

EDIT: LOL I just noticed you are in OK... My car was purchased in Wichita but spent the vast majority of its life near Norman, traveling back and forth.

I also PM'ed you the same info.
Old 10-22-10, 11:38 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in regards to the tranny kicking up rpms while traveling downhill...I read in a previous post that this was a feature designed into the tranny. Engine braking to help slow the car on downward slopes. I only notice it kick in when I touch the brakes heading down hill....
Old 10-22-10, 01:53 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigcory
in regards to the tranny kicking up rpms while traveling downhill...I read in a previous post that this was a feature designed into the tranny. Engine braking to help slow the car on downward slopes. I only notice it kick in when I touch the brakes heading down hill....
Hmm... Ok, that seems to make some sense. You are correct that it only happens if I press the brake while coasting down the hill to say, a stoplight or intersection.
Old 10-22-10, 02:30 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
^^^ plus 1. I've noticed this also on my 05. I been reading thru out this forum that this is normal behavior so i feel a bit relieved that its not an rare occasion. Nevertheless, I have 91k on my car now so do you guys think my car had gotten "used" to the fluid in there now as it never has been changed? I used to hear that trans fluids should never be changed once over a certain mileage. I know thats obsurd but i had a 92 camry who trans died after i changed the fliud at around 117k for the first time. Based on comments here, i would probably change it soon but i'm kinda hesitant based on a past experience. Help please!!
Old 10-22-10, 03:22 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That downshift is normal... My 05 does it as well. I travel over some hilly roads to work at speeds around 50mph or so. I get the same downshift / rpm increase going down some of the hills. My two Lexus GX470's have done the same thing. I noticed it more in my 04 than I did in my 08, but they both did it...
Old 10-22-10, 11:27 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Ok, so we have some consensus on the increasing RPMs approaching a stop... but unfortunately nothing on the delayed downshift and consequent "jerk" when taking off too fast after that?
Old 12-31-10, 01:06 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Just had my '05's tranny fluid changed at 30K mi w/ 6 qts of Toyota WS (total capacity according to the FSM is around 5.6 qts). I had it changed on age rather than miles, as fluids oxidize over time, etc. 5 yrs is like driving 60K mi. I don't tow, but the three things that wear out prematurly here in AZ are rubber (belts; serp belt lasts only 45K mi), fluids (extreme heat is murder on fluids), and batteries (heat increases the chemical reaction rate).

At any rate, if you're worrying about how long the fluid will last, just change it! And if the tranny ever dies prematurely, you know the dealer can't pin the blame on improper maintenance since you had the fluid changed w/ OEM fluid and it was serviced by the dealer.
The tranny only holds 6 qts? That doesnt seam like a whole lot. Are you positive on this? Sounds more like the engine crank case. Just asking, not flaming. I have a lexus master tech that will drain and fill, no filter change, for 40 bucks if I bring my fluid. ( I will change the filter at 120k, but I will just do fluid at 60, which will be at some time this summer.
Old 04-17-23, 09:16 AM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone have a noisy planetary? I get a high speed gear noise in first gear only, probably all planetary reduction gear noise and have surpassed 200K miles on odometer 92 SC400. All other gears are quiet with no shifting issues except the 1-2 shift is kinda harsh under light throttle
Old 04-18-23, 06:46 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

In my 2004 if I leave her in drive and coast downhill, she gains speed fairly quickly. I have to manually down shift to 5th to prevent her from gaining speed.
Perhaps there was a change in the 2005/2006 gearbox that detected that your foot was off the throttle and speed was still increasing, so it drops a gear to prevent that.
That would raise the RPM but you might not feel the change down to 5th.
Old 04-18-23, 12:04 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

My 2012 Dodge Caravan has too much compression braking....it will drag itself down off the gas until it reaches 20mph and then will coast, That seams weird to me in these days of wringing out every last MPG. Ive never had a automatic trans do that.
Old 04-18-23, 12:22 PM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by pishta
My 2012 Dodge Caravan has too much compression braking....it will drag itself down off the gas until it reaches 20mph and then will coast, That seams weird to me in these days of wringing out every last MPG. Ive never had a automatic trans do that.
That is more typical of 80s & 90s auto transmissions as they had a top gear lockup to save gas but were terrible at changing down.
60s and 70s autos had no lockup so you could coast forever,... nearly.
Does the Caravan have a turbo as they have much heavier engine braking due to the higher pressures involved.
Old 04-18-23, 03:14 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

no, its a 6 or 7 sp Flex fuel SX model. Does it in ECO mode too. Sounds like the lock up is not disengaging on a lifted throttle if that is what its supposed to do? Its trans was reflashed after we bought it at Carmax.