Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool. Thanks L4L!
Old 09-23-10, 01:56 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
This is what I bought today and used a little bit of based on the recommendation of Mobil 1 ATF...

However, someone above said that you can not use Dexron VI in power steering systems. So do I need to go get something else? This Mobil 1 says its pretty much compatible with everything and "Recommended for use in any power steering unit where a DEXRON or MERCON fluid is recommended". I sure as heck could not find ANY Dex III in my local AutoZone.

So did I uh... just break my car? I barely got one evacuation and refill done so far (there was still some old fluid left in the cavities of the canister).
You have the right stuff. Notice on the back of the bottle that it IS approved for use in Dex II/III applications but that for Dex VI applications the Mobil1 Dex VI product should be used. I have the version posted by Lust4Lexus in my car but agree with him that it looks to be new packaging with the same product inside . . .

Andrew
Old 09-23-10, 02:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

yep - I agree that's the right stuff.
Old 12-19-10, 08:45 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update

So after 2 whole bottles worth of mini flushes, my fluid is getting better, but nowhere near perfect. I have been doing a mini flush about every 50-100 miles, or once a week. Every time I look at the fluid coming out, it appears red coming down the clear tubing into the collection cup, but as it gets full, you can see that it is still quite murky and still does not allow light to pass through like clean fresh fluid does. I guess I will keep on as it can't hurt. How many bottles have others used to do the mini flush? it appears at least in my case, that it could take several bottles to clear things up to the point of satisfaction. And yes, I am aware that a proper flush would take care of it, but I am not disconnecting any hoses on my car, and like the safe and gentle nature afforded to me by this method.
Old 12-20-10, 05:54 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I used about 1.5 bottles on my Highlander before the PS fluid looked fairly clear. Maybe 5 or so drain and refill cycles. I did it at 52k miles on the HL and its OEM PS fluid was just turning brown.

I know I am stating the obvious, but the number of drain and refill cycles required to clean up the fluid in the system depends on how dirty the fluid was to begin with. It would be interesting to hear how many drain cycles it will take to on avg to clear up the fluid in an LS with let's say 50k miles.

But I don't think you need to get the PS fluid absolutely pristine for it to be in way better shape than when it is black and dirty. The system seems designed to work OK with dark dirty PS fluid, so running relatively fresh fluid in it (after 5-6 drain and fills) is likely a huge improvement and will extend the life of the PS system out to where its a non factor given the life cycle of other major components.
Old 02-18-11, 07:27 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just a heads up guys, but it has been about 6 weeks since I did my last mini flush. remember how I said that my resevior was stained from the old dirty fluid? Well, it seems that that mobil one ATF, after about 4k of mini flushes has scrubbed the resevior clean, I can now see the levels just fine! WOOT!
Old 02-18-11, 08:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I use Redline ATF for my PS fluid. You can still buy redline w/ dextron II (i started using this). It's a bit thinner than the Redline D4 (specifically says toyota dextron II compatible on the bottle). I used the D4 since I was living in AZ at the time. Now that I'm in a cold climate, I'll switch back to the Redline ATF w/ dextron II.

And BTW, when I bought my LX CPO (49K mi, 3 yrs old at the time), the PS fluid was black and smelled burnt. In fact, it was so gone it left a permanent dark stain on the inside of the PS resevoir. Even when I bought my '05 LS CPO w/ 21K mi, the fluid was dark, but at least it didn't smell burned. I believe lexus only check the PS fluid LEVEL at CPO time. The reason is there is no written service replacement interval on the PS fluid as there is with engine oil or any other fluid. There should be, though. My local dealer in AZ was saying they recommend changing the PS fluid about every 35K mi. I think it should be more often than that, more like 30K mi.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 02-18-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 12:33 AM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant flush the system (coolant, or power steering ) via a reservoir. The fluid doesnt circulate through there. The reservoir only dumps fluids if the rest of the system gets low.
Old 05-23-11, 09:46 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by svlexus
you cant flush the system (coolant, or power steering ) via a reservoir. The fluid doesnt circulate through there. The reservoir only dumps fluids if the rest of the system gets low.
Completely wrong. It does circulate with old fluid.