LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--

Old 11-10-13, 11:21 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ls430 all day , I love my ls so much I'm about to buy one for the old lady ,so she will stay away from mines. I love my ls . I have own a few luxury sedan to come across the ls430. To this date I still believe the ls is the closiest car to be a perfect luxury sedan . I don't car how much other people like their Genesis , s class or other luxury sedan . All you need to do is ,own one and you'll see why the ls is crown to be the king of the luxury premium sedan. I have no problem with my car , I just dont like the jumpy shifting in low speed . That is something we all have to live with .
Old 02-14-18, 06:41 PM
BigAlLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
in case u guys didn't see my other thread I bought an 03 CL(I think) with 68000 miles, its gold, I paid $7800

its mint runs like a dream, I just blew the mark levinson woofer,so im replacing it with aftermarket subs and amp, drivers side mirror starting to act up, steering tilt makes a whining sound, aside from that is just amazing, I still cant belive I have one, its so fun to drive, gets much better mileage then my SC, just amazing car really
1Will,
My drivers side mirror is starting to act up also... What did you do to fix yours? Thanks
Old 02-14-18, 06:46 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Hi Big Al; Since this thread is rather old, I'm thinking he may not respond. However, there are a few great threads on diagnosing and fixing mirror problems, so feel free to search "Folding Mirror Probems" and you no doubt will find an answer that works for you.

And, welcome to the club!
Old 02-15-18, 11:34 AM
BigAlLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Hi Big Al; Since this thread is rather old, I'm thinking he may not respond. However, there are a few great threads on diagnosing and fixing mirror problems, so feel free to search "Folding Mirror Probems" and you no doubt will find an answer that works for you.

And, welcome to the club!
Thanks 2K,
Found this Thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-adjujst.html and it's GREAT!!!!
Old 02-15-18, 03:05 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

the ls400’s are built like tanks, hence the word “ tank”
the 430’ weren’t tanks thats why they were faster and tanks aren’t that fast.
Old 03-31-18, 12:32 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow, 8 year old thread, cant believe how fast time is going.

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
One big reason not to get an LS is that once you go down this road, you'll never go back. We are going to have our LS for a very long time but once we have to replace it, we can't downgrade to anything else. So, if you're readyto take the big leap...go!!!
Well 8 years later and you were 100% correct, I purchased an 03 430 as mentioned, and the car was so good I wasn't sure where id end up next , but after about 3 years I ended up purchasing a very low mileage 08 460L , its a completely different car , would recommend any 430 owner to take one for a test drive as they are becoming more and more affordable now as each year passes.

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's so true! It's hard to drive anything else now.

I don't even care about my SC anymore now that I've got the LS.
Yep, sold the SC immediately and never looked back, but even to this day I have a soft spot for the SC as my very first lexus, ill never forget the feeling of driving it for the first time, it was special forsure.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Well said - my LS430 is very likely the nicest car I will ever own. It is a very hard act to follow without jumping to huge money cars like S550 or A8.
Yep, I really don't know where id go next other then a newer model 460L (13-17) , or if I'm lucky enough one day the LS500 , hopefully they release one with a V8 soon but that's another story.

Ive searched long and hard and theres no affordable way to enter the german car market , Benz , bimmer or audi, so unless I win the lottery I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.
Old 03-31-18, 05:25 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Ive searched long and hard and theres no affordable way to enter the german car market , Benz , bimmer or audi, so unless I win the lottery I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.
Even if you can find a way to affordably enter the German market, there is no affordable way to stay in a German car after purchase. The LS is expensive to fix, but some of the repair costs I've seen from the Germans is insane.
Old 03-31-18, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Even if you can find a way to affordably enter the German market, there is no affordable way to stay in a German car after purchase. The LS is expensive to fix, but some of the repair costs I've seen from the Germans is insane.
Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Make more money. That's not something we have total control over, but we have some control over it. I had this old boss who was off the wall, had a personality like well I won't get political. But if you dare didn't handle something you'd be cut down in front of peers, very weird, only time in my career I was ever in such a scenario. he got fired, good riddance. Ever since then my pay has gone up a lot more year over year and larger bonuses. I should have left, but good thing he got canned, he's a bad person. Tried to hit me up on linkedin, I don't think so.

What is affordable, see, that's the thing. I have a feeling that the LS430 doesn't need any unpredictable repairs makes it affordable. Look at Hoovie in his 1995 Ferrari, he says you're nervous everytime you turn the key. But it gives a thrill no Toyota ever could, so it's what you want. I am not 100%, but I want to get a W221 MB S550, maybe 2009. Again, not sure, and not now. That's a flagship car which gives me hesitation. But I can afford a BMW 3 Series, because that was entry level, not flagship. So sometimes we have to aim lower. Had the 335i for 11 yrs. now, original owner purchased new. Reliable car.
Old 04-02-18, 07:45 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As if you needed another reason to own an LS430, Consumer Reports listed it as one of the most desirable used cars in the 10-12 years old range, with excellent reliability.
Old 04-02-18, 08:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Its a ponderous boat to some
Old 04-03-18, 11:16 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The Simple Answer is No!

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
I'm not going to lie... we've owned a 1991, 1998, 2002 and 2004 LS and the best car by far was the '98. Those LS400s were a truly remarkable example of top notch engineering. Maybe not Toyota's "W140" per se (as I can not imagine the Japanese ever LOSING money on a mass market car), but probably as close as they'd ever come to that.

The 2002 and 2004 are great cars, and the LS line taken as a whole is one of *the* best large cars of ALL time in my honest opinion. There ARE some things that were undoubtedly cheapened as the model line went on however. Some examples would be the glove soft leather that you could feel when you put your hands in the door pulls on the LS400, the absolutely superior Nakamichi sound system, the "springy" seats, and general fit and finish.

That said, the LS400 simply can not compete in today's world of technology and the same things that make the LS430 a technological powerhouse, also are part of the reason why the 430 should not be expected to be as trouble-free as its older brother. Ultra Luxury models for example feature every technological gizmo one could have pondered up during that time, which unfortunately includes the load leveling rear suspensions that can, and do, find ways to leak... avoid the UL option package unless you absolutely insist on the coolbox and "master command" for the rear passengers (radio controls back there, reclining seats etc.). The 6 speed automatics in the 2004 and up models are not quite as robust as the 5 speed box in the 2001-2003, so its good you won't have that to deal with. Tilt and telescope mechanisms in all years of this LS generation are known to go bad. If you buy one, I suggest having your dealer de-program the auto-exit feature unless you are very large and absolutely must have it. I have heard R&R costs for the tilt/telescope mechanism in the steering wheel from 400 to 1000 dollars depending on what needs replaced. The seat coolers (which of course were not even available on the LS400), don't really work all that well.

Overall, there is not really a lot to go wrong here outside of some electrical doo-dads, but when it does go wrong it can be very expensive to make right. It is SO much more critical on this generation LS to make absolutely sure you find a car with a meticulous dealership maintenance record (manual calls for religious service intervals every 5k) versus the old LS400 in which I tried to just ensure general maintenance was completed when I purchased one.

It doesn't look like you will be able to buy a CPO car, so set aside a small budget for repairs, or get an extended warranty and enjoy.
Go for it. I've had mine for twelve years, and I still love it. It is a 2002 model with 106,000 miles that I bought from a dealer CPO. I have maintained it and kept it in pristine condition. Other than converting the suspension from air (it's an Ultra Luxury version), I have replaced a fuel hose and a radiator. I have confidence that it could go another ten years without many problems. Maintain it very well. I even did a little more than called for, and it has served me well. I just bought a new car, and I am having trouble parting with the Lexus. My wife has finally said if I really want to keep it...it's okay if I find a place to keep it. The reality is that doesn't make sense. So, I am going to sell it. To give you an idea...today the new car is in the garage, and I am in the LS430. Since the new car arrived the other day, my wife's car has been in the shop, so I have been able to keep the Lexus and new car in the garage...loaner outside. The LS430 is among the two greatest cars I have ever owned.
Old 04-05-18, 09:32 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls4
It's ls430 all day , I love my ls so much I'm about to buy one for the old lady ,so she will stay away from mines. I love my ls . I have own a few luxury sedan to come across the ls430. To this date I still believe the ls is the closiest car to be a perfect luxury sedan . I don't car how much other people like their Genesis , s class or other luxury sedan . All you need to do is ,own one and you'll see why the ls is crown to be the king of the luxury premium sedan. I have no problem with my car , I just dont like the jumpy shifting in low speed . That is something we all have to live with .
What year is your Lex? If an 04, it's a known problem. Mine was also really jumpy at slow speeds. Can reprogram the shifting. For mine (103 at the time), the combination of reprogram and fluid change totally solved the problem. Flawless smooth shifting at any speed.
Old 04-06-18, 05:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Its a ponderous boat to some
It's a ponderous boring boat--perfect if you need to get to work, day in, day out, and it takes 75 min. to get 20-25 miles. It just seems that the biggest pro when brand new--totally reliable. Biggest pro at age 12-17? Totally reliable.
Old 04-07-18, 02:55 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Biggest pro. Total satisfaction!
Old 04-07-18, 03:21 AM
iriz
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone here having both a 98-00 and a 01-06 in their garage and using both regularly?

How do they compare driving wise?

And what about the air struts in the 98-00, are they also prone to relatively early leaking?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--