LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 06:34 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by honeygee2
All good points but the real reason you do not want an LS is you will look really silly walking around with a smile on your 24/7 ,,the car is that good!
Excellent point

That and if you don't want to turn around whenever walking away from your car. I practically walk backwards everytime I leave mine.
Old 09-12-10, 07:31 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned a 06 LS430UL for about 18 months and traded it in on a 07 MB SL550. To this day it is the best car I have ever owned in my 47 years of driving. That car was so comfortable and such a pleasure to drive I once drove down and back to the Gulf from Atlanta just to buy some frozen shrimp one day. The quiet cabin, silky smooth transmission and simply the most comfortable drivers seat I have ever sat in. I would get another if it wasn't for the wife. She would drive (or try to drive) it like a sports car. Quick acceleration and fast turns with last minute braking. She constantly said it drove like a barge. Well frankly, with the air suspension, it did. But what a luxurious barge.

So now we are in the SL550 with 382hp, 7 speeed transmission, 16 way power driver and passenger seats and with the ability to go to top down convertible in 16 seconds that is much more "fun" to drive but I really do miss the "barge".

I'll probably go back to a LS460 in about 18 months when the SL's warranty runs out (as it has been in the shop twice in my first week of ownership with "check engine" and "STOP CAR" warnings).

Last edited by BlackUltra; 09-12-10 at 07:34 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-13-10, 02:58 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar position,I had a JDM Celsior UCF11 several years ago and loved it,but it's age was catching up with it and it got traded in on a WGNC34stagea.

I'm looking to get back into a lexus in the next month and have decided to go for an '03-07 LS430.

All our cars here in Australia come with std coil suspension,but we have trim levels similar to the UL and premium base package. I'm after the UL-style model. Every gadget you could ever want and some that you didn't even know you needed!

Reasons for my getting one are reliability,comfort and value for money.
European cars are VERY popular here,but nothing comes close to a lexus for the overall experience. You only get a merc or a BMW if you're a badge snob and like burning money.

Justin...
Old 09-14-10, 08:24 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
I'll probably go back to a LS460 in about 18 months
I'd find the lowest mileage '06 430 I could and hang on to it. Outside of newer technology and more power, the LS460 simply can not out-"LS" the LS430.
Old 09-14-10, 10:24 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
I'd find the lowest mileage '06 430 I could and hang on to it. Outside of newer technology and more power, the LS460 simply can not out-"LS" the LS430.
In light of all of the ls460 problems you may be right. Hopefully, they get all the "bugs" out and future models get back to the superior quality the LS was known for since its inception. Otherwise, the LS430 will remain the "best" LS ever.
Old 09-14-10, 02:35 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

From some of the things I've seen on here didn't the 430 not out "LS" the 400? I suppose with more sophisticated tech (whoever needs the parallel self park in the 460 should'nt have gotten a license in the first place) reliability will decrease. This is why several members recommend just the premium pack on the 430 (no nav, just heated/cooled front seats + heated rear).
Old 09-14-10, 04:11 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
From some of the things I've seen on here didn't the 430 not out "LS" the 400? I suppose with more sophisticated tech (whoever needs the parallel self park in the 460 should'nt have gotten a license in the first place) reliability will decrease. This is why several members recommend just the premium pack on the 430 (no nav, just heated/cooled front seats + heated rear).
It depends. I suppose if we are speaking from a stand-point of purely overall fit and finish then the answer would be "yes". I admire the LS400 tremendously, as it will be hard to top.

However, part of the "being coddled in luxury" experience DOES have some to do with technology to certain individuals. To this group, the LS430's ability to merge excellent engineering and durability you can not find in other cars of this segment, with accoutrements that are STILL impressive by today's standard (Smart Key, Radar Cruise Control, PCS, Massaging Seats, Bluetooth etc etc), would make the LS400 somewhat irrelevant. In this sense the 400 can't really be the "ultimate LS" because it just doesn't have enough to compete, whereas the LS430 still has LOTS of convenience and technology... and enough in fact to edge out the 460 based on the "whole package" overall. In other words, you won't really find enough new in the 460 to put up with the compromises you have to make versus the 430.

The interesting thing is that its the technology that attracted me to the LS430 way back when it was introduced in 2001, but as the years have passed, I find that I fall into the camp that finds the simplicity, elegance and laser precision of the last LS400 more desirable to anything the LS430 could ever offer. The Premium package in my car gives me a lot of that feeling, but given the opportunity, I would go back to a top of the line 2000 LS400 in pearl white or black in a heart-beat.

Keep in mind, that when comparing within these cars versus competition, we're still basically deciding which supermodel we'd rather date here. They all put most other marques to shame when it comes to the virtues we sought in a Lexus.
Old 09-14-10, 04:27 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by honeygee2
All good points but the real reason you do not want an LS is you will look really silly walking around with a smile on your 24/7 ,,the car is that good!
LOL you guys have been great.

At first i wanted one but now I REALLY want one.

I am more of a bread and butter guy---just the basics---so the premium is probably the one for me----but I would gladly take any one I can find for a decent price.

Im thinking of selling my sc400 but I love that one too-----LEXUS's are hard to get rid of----im afraid of missing it the next day.

Guys thanks so much fore the help and advice---u really came through better than I thought.

I very much hope to be back here one day as a proud new owner of an LS-----time will tell.

Thanks again everyone
Old 09-14-10, 04:54 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

playdrv4me - I 100% agree with you. I do feel that the 430 will be remembered as one of the best from Lexus/Toyota. It is just such an excellent all-round package. The seats are more comfortable than most furniture I have sat in (with exceptions to our couches in my parents' house), the ride is sublime, the handling is quite good for a big car, and the engine/trans is really a jekyll and hyde thing: quiet when cruising, but absolutely hauls *** when you want to have some fun. All this and you get top notch reliability. I really am blown away by the car...it really is that good. As for a 400 or 460, I have driven neither (would love to if I ever had the opportunity) so I can't really comment from experience from either.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the 400 and 430 are both great. They have those confident, strong lines that a big luxo car should. There is a clean black LS400 by my dorm (along with a LOT of other nice rides, notable ones I saw lately include 2 kids with new 997 Carrera S's one black one with powder black HRE rims... and a decked out black E92 M3 with a CF trunk and powder black HREs) and I do a double take everytime I see it.

***** - Like i said in my previous post: DO IT!! I cannot find any faults with the car...other than the fact that I can't drive it ALL the time.
Old 09-15-10, 12:06 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Carguy as soon as my finances get to the right place i will be going right to the LEXUS dealer.

Thanks man.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and great info.
Old 09-15-10, 01:09 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Not a problem man! Good luck with your near future purchase Post up some pics!
Old 09-15-10, 05:55 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m
, but as the years have passed, I find that I fall into the camp that finds the simplicity, elegance and laser precision of the last LS400 more desirable to anything the LS430 could ever offer. .

Interesting observation, Ian.
When I first went from an extremely low mileage 2000 LS400 to a 2004 LS430, I was hooked on the toys, the softer leather, more wood, etc.

But, at the end of the day, the 430 didn't actually improve upon the driving dynamics. My seat of the pants observations told me both cars accelerated about the same ... the 400 seemed to give me slightly better hwy economy, and I believe it cornered a bit better. The 430 does have a plusher ride, however. I might be in the minority here, but I actually prefer the softer seats in the 430 ... I just didn't like the look of the peforations, it seemed to allow the leather to gather and wrinkle, and doesn't look as high end.

Like you, Ian , I keep a lookout for a low mileage 2000 LS.
The weakest point I see on these cars is the front ends always need repairs.
Other than keeping a few dollars aside for front end servicing and T Belt, the LS400 is a heck of a car.
Old 09-08-13, 10:18 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

well guys its been a few years but im going to test drive an 05 ls430 this week.

After re -reading this thread I am really impressed with all the responses.

Does anyone here have a good source for replacement parts for these cars?(I hate dealers)

On my sc400 you can find almost anything for very cheap, due the the age and the amount of them that are being parted out, there are parts available everywhere.

Where do you guys go to get yours?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-13, 11:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well guys its been a few years but im going to test drive an 05 ls430 this week.

After re -reading this thread I am really impressed with all the responses.

Does anyone here have a good source for replacement parts for these cars?(I hate dealers)

On my sc400 you can find almost anything for very cheap, due the the age and the amount of them that are being parted out, there are parts available everywhere.

Where do you guys go to get yours?

Thanks!
You'll love the 05. As a fellow SC owner I find the LS to be leaps and bounds better compared to my SC. I don't even drive my SC that much now because the LS is so much more fun to drive.

As far parts go Sewell Lexus, the LS430 Classifieds section, Rock Auto, Amazon, and Carson Toyota are where I get my parts from. We have a new vendor on here that also gives us good deals on parts but I can't remember their name at the moment. They should have a thread in the Vendor Marketplace though.
Old 09-08-13, 01:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

+1 to the list that Kira X mentioned. Carson is cross town so that is usually who I buy from and pick the parts up.

Quick Reply: I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--