LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial

Old 07-18-12, 08:10 AM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I surrendered to the dealer on this one!

My driver's side door mechanism failed also. I was chicken and allowed the dealer to repair of the door mechanism. $849. Luckily, my extended warranty covered the repair costs.
Old 07-20-12, 09:07 PM
BizEagle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where to get the door acuator motor that already has the D shaped shaft?

I have a 2003 LS 430, I assume it is the same motor as the other years, yes?
Old 07-23-12, 05:16 AM
Becker135
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Previous posts here say you can't buy the D shape shaft. But it's fairly easy to file down the round shaft. I used a Dremel, but I think a small file will work also.
Old 07-23-12, 03:21 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please provide the motor part number.

Thanks
Old 07-24-12, 12:01 PM
BizEagle
Rookie

Originally Posted by monrovea

Thanks
I have the same question. I have a 2003 LS430. On eBay it appears there are 3 different motors - Regular shaft
Long shaft
Brass collar on the shaft.
I was trying to find out which one is the best fit for my car. I didn't want to take my door apart just to see what the motor looked like and then wait a week until the new motor arrives. Someone on this forum should know the answer but hasn't read this thread in a while
Old 07-27-12, 06:26 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by monrovea

Thanks
Take the time to read through the whole thread. The part numbers are in here,

Randy B
Old 08-02-12, 08:17 PM
lexie430
7th Gear

Thank you so much to everyone for their posts. Got the driver's side motor replaced in 2 hrs flat on my '02 LS. I ordered 2 motors from 2 different sellers on ebay. Both were excellent sellers--performed and delivered efficiently as they advertise. The Mabuchi FC-280PT-22125 (regular shaft) had a slightly longer shaft than the original, but it would have worked. I installed the one from DLUXCARS because it had the exact shaft-length and because of concerns I've read that the Mabuchi had more torque than the original. Took 5 min to grind the round shaft to a D with a dremel. Had to use the cable ties; positioned them exactly as the picture showed in this thread. No screws held the case together and it didn't snap back as tightly as it was as before I pried it open. Two additional tips that hopefully help daring owners: lock the doors using the key before disassembling; and completely remove the bottom bolt that holds the window rail, but just loosen the top. Locking the doors with a key will ensure that the slot in the white cup of the actuator lines up with the spade and that the actuator maintains the same locked contact position when you put it back in the door (unless you turn the cup after removing the actuator from the door). Completely removing the bottom bolt that holds the window rail and just loosening the top will allow you to swing the rail up to make it easier to slide back the actuator in place without having to worry about any of the fasteners (I remember reading about a clip) at the top of the rail coming loose. Hope this helps this very worthy and valuable site and its forum readers. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-12, 10:06 PM
92fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KISMETSDAD
My electic door lock quit working. Since there wasn't a good tutorial on do-it-yourself replacement of the motor I wrote one up. The cost to fix this problem is about $5. The dealer probably charges >$700 for the service. The lock actuator uses a $5 dollar Mabuchi motor (you can find the part number elsewhere.) On my 2001 LS430 the motor requires a "D" shaped shaft to fit the gear. A round shaft will not work unless you want to drill your gear and epoxy it onto the new motor. No special tools are required.

I posted the tutorial at:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexu.../actuator.html

The time to accomplish is about 90 minutes. Return on your time =($700-$5)/1.5 hour=$463.33/hour
Thank you so much for the instructions that you posted and to all of the other CL users. I was able to replace the Mabuchi motor, but it did take me 5 hours. My car is a 2004 LS430 with smart key. Thank you so much everyone, I felt very proud of my work. If anyone has any questions I will help as much as I can.
Old 08-09-12, 06:27 PM
steven29
Driver School Candidate

Default where to buy the motor

Does anyone know where to buy the "D" shaft motor? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 08-13-12, 04:30 PM
92fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steven29
Does anyone know where to buy the "D" shaft motor? Thanks for any help you can offer.
I do not think that Mabuchi makes a D shaft motor anymore. I bought the round one and filed it down.
Old 08-25-12, 10:08 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I checked a Lexus parts website for a 2004-2006 LS430 with easy close doors. The whole assembly for the front doors is around $90 and the rear is $126. Those that did the work of taking the motors apart and reassembling... would it be much faster (and more expensive... i know) to put in the OEM door lock assembly? Thoughts?
Old 08-28-12, 09:06 AM
BizEagle
Rookie

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I checked a Lexus parts website for a 2004-2006 LS430 with easy close doors. The whole assembly for the front doors is around $90 and the rear is $126. Those that did the work of taking the motors apart and reassembling... would it be much faster (and more expensive... i know) to put in the OEM door lock assembly? Thoughts?
Can you give us the URL Link of the Lexus Parts website you are using?
Old 08-28-12, 01:14 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BizEagle
Can you give us the URL Link of the Lexus Parts website you are using?
I used this site (below)... They don't have much detail on the parts included in the rear door, so it might not be the correct parts needed for this repair. After checking SEWELL (which is typically more expensive than the other Lexus dealer parts suppliers), they have the "Actuator" listed for $500.10.

A call to the dealer on the site below should clarify what this part is/does.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...component=LOCK
Old 08-28-12, 02:26 PM
KAHUNA
Rookie

Took a chance and sprayed some wd40 into all the surrounding spaces of the interior door lock - the plastic piece with the orange, I moved it into both positions and sprayed away got the wd40 nozel in the spaces very well-

I never really expected it to do anything but low and behold 24 hours later my door lock is working fine, of course I may have shorted out the window motor but I will not try to roll that window down for a while so it will not kill the joy of today
Old 08-28-12, 10:45 PM
92fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I used this site (below)... They don't have much detail on the parts included in the rear door, so it might not be the correct parts needed for this repair. After checking SEWELL (which is typically more expensive than the other Lexus dealer parts suppliers), they have the "Actuator" listed for $500.10.

A call to the dealer on the site below should clarify what this part is/does.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...component=LOCK
I would order the Mabuchi motors first and give that a try. Taking the door lock assembly out was the hardest part for me, filing the shaft into a D shaft was the easy part. Since you're going to need to remove the old assembly out anyways, just my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial