LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS - Navi logic is dumb.. any idea ?

Old 07-26-10, 12:40 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts
Default 01 LS - Navi logic is dumb.. any idea ?

Hey all,

I love my 01 LS, I really do but, the navi is driving me nuts. Not sure what the deal is. I understand the DVD updates (I have a 2004 disc in mine, covers 99% of the roads I travel) only really update maps, not logic or features.

I have a Verizon Windows Mobile phone with TomTom (I paid for and installed) on it, so, in a fix or my wife's car, I use it.

The logic on the navi system is dumb, it will take me an hour out of the way, just to get me to a location for some reason (tomtom will map a more logical route and quicker) and if I select "re-route" I can plan on spending 2+ more hours driving, that TomTom will add maybe 20 min to it (due to getting off the highway).

This is based on going from the CT line to Cape Cod, MA, so about 2 hours but, lexi nav will make it more than 2 hours and 50 min, when the logical route is about 2 hours. No Re-route will bring it to the shortest, logical route, it will always try to take me an hour out, to bring me back, extending the trip almost an hour.

I have tested this in other longer routes as well, and still the same problem. Short routes (under 50 miles), seem ok, not perfect but, it still will get me where I need to go.

Was there any real fix for this ? Will a 2004+ navi upgrade (as posted that it will upgrade the whole system as well as interface) upgrade the mapping logic ?

It's gotten to the point where I will put a location(on longer trips, that seem to be doing a lot of) into my navi, check the time frame, and pull out my phone to make sure they are close and logical.

Anyone have the same problem ? This has become a big problem for me, what is the point of having a factory nav in a nice car if a $50 navi system will do a better job ?

I wanted navi in a car not to have deal with a small thing on my dash....
Old 07-26-10, 10:09 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I noticed this in my car as well while traveling from Dallas to Austin. If I missed a turn, instead of saying "make a U turn ahead" or "make a left turn ahead" to turn me around it would take me through 10 more miles of highway. I figured it out after the 3rd time of missing a turn from outdated maps, lol.

And yeah my Garmin Nuvi is soooo easy to use and routes so much better.
Old 07-26-10, 11:18 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

It's 10 year old technology. Keep your TomTom in the car for a backup.
Old 07-27-10, 05:47 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It's 10 year old technology. Keep your TomTom in the car for a backup.
That's a very loose excuse for Lexus. I have a 2000 Acura TL / nav and that car's NAV is more accurate than my portable Tom Tom.

Occasionally, I drive from Boston to Virginia. My 04 LS takes me off the highway, through DC, then back roads and minor highways, before getting back on to a major highway. Aggravates me to no end. David is correct, I got a NAV built in the car and I would like to use that instead of a dash mount Tom Tom.
David, it is so upsetting that I do have to use my Tom Tom on long trips even though I already have a NAV built in.
Old 07-28-10, 01:17 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusJoey
That's a very loose excuse for Lexus. I have a 2000 Acura TL / nav and that car's NAV is more accurate than my portable Tom Tom.

Occasionally, I drive from Boston to Virginia. My 04 LS takes me off the highway, through DC, then back roads and minor highways, before getting back on to a major highway. Aggravates me to no end. David is correct, I got a NAV built in the car and I would like to use that instead of a dash mount Tom Tom.
David, it is so upsetting that I do have to use my Tom Tom on long trips even though I already have a NAV built in.
Ugh, not good. Anyone with a 2004 have the same problem ? (wondering if that 2004 navi update is worth it or not).

It's too bad, it's much better to use (sitting right in my dash, mixed in with the audio system), I just wish there was a way to make it better.

I saw the 2004 navi upgrade, claiming it would be about a $400-600 upgrade (a few toyota/lexus car navi dvd would be a drop in replacement for the 01) besides the newer looking navi system wondering if the logic was better (then it would only be a 5-6 year old navi system, right ?).

Anyone know ?