LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Has been at the Dealer because of hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 04:48 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS430 Has been at the Dealer because of hesitation

Since the question was never answered on here, I decided to drop the LS off for service at the dealer.

IT all started with minor lags in low acceleration (Almost like a small hick-up) I could bypass this by driving faster or giving it more gas. First thought... TPS or Fuel Pump. Lexus swore that neither of those parts could be failing on the car... so instead, we installed a whole new ignition system, plugs, coil packs, you name it, I bought it. Ran fine for 100 miles... then the problem escalated. The hesitation under load was getting to be outrageous. There were times were it would completely lose acceleration while driving, and also times where it would start at a stoplight, then give out moments later (This can be dangerous if you are pulling into traffic).

Anyway, Lexus calls and tells me that it is either the Fuel Pump, or the TPS, and that they will be finding out on Monday.

If this does not solve the problem, I will be parting my ways with the LS430.
Old 07-19-10, 09:37 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem similiar to yours. Changed plugs, coils no change, it turned out to be the fuel injectors.
Old 07-20-10, 10:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Since the question was never answered on here, I decided to drop the LS off for service at the dealer.

IT all started with minor lags in low acceleration (Almost like a small hick-up) I could bypass this by driving faster or giving it more gas. First thought... TPS or Fuel Pump. Lexus swore that neither of those parts could be failing on the car... so instead, we installed a whole new ignition system, plugs, coil packs, you name it, I bought it. Ran fine for 100 miles... then the problem escalated. The hesitation under load was getting to be outrageous. There were times were it would completely lose acceleration while driving, and also times where it would start at a stoplight, then give out moments later (This can be dangerous if you are pulling into traffic).

Anyway, Lexus calls and tells me that it is either the Fuel Pump, or the TPS, and that they will be finding out on Monday.

If this does not solve the problem, I will be parting my ways with the LS430.
any updates TJW?

it didn't throw out any codes?

I had 2 incidents in my GS and mb and turned out it's the TPS / vehicle speed sensor/accelerator. It's a cheap and easy fix.

No need to get rid of the LS for this problem-keep it
Old 07-20-10, 11:22 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

this one is too easy... simple fix... now pay attention.

step 1: unlock door

step 2: pop hood and trunk

step 3: take out the size 10 wrench from the tool box in the trunk and open up the hood

step 4: with the wrench loosen the negative batter terminal (the black one)

step 5: remove the negative battery terminal and tuck it down on the side of the battery

step 6: wait about 30 minutes (very important step)

step 7: reverse the process

this should fix your problem with the acceleration hesitation. it works on my old gs400 and my current 05 ls430. if you doubt it, try it and see for your self, it is free to try and won't cost you $$$ at the dealership for stuff you don't need.

NOTE--- you will loose your radio presets and your seat memory so write down the radio presets before hand and make sure your seat is how you like it. that is all that you will loose.
Old 07-20-10, 11:27 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Any updates?

Seems doubtful it is a fuel pump. IME, they either work or don't. Has the fuel filter been changed at the stated intervals? TPS seems more likely. They'll get it sorted...no need to get rid of the car for that.

In my seat belt thread: I've been unsuccessful in finding tan one. Told the wife last night, let's get rid of the car. The thought of a gray belt inside sickens me.
Old 07-20-10, 02:05 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Late to this thread, but I have a statement to make:
Your dealer is either totally incompetent, or totally dishonest.

Since, if you needed all new ignition, your car would have been throwing codes faster than they could be downloaded, I believe it's probably the latter.
Old 07-20-10, 05:36 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

sojah,

I tried this, and it has yet to work. It may work, but only for 100 miles... and I'm not a temporary fix, kind of guy.

UPDATE:

Dealer says it is the TPS. The car should be done tomorrow, and hopefully I can go take it for a run. I knew the ignition system wasn't the problem to begin with since the car threw no codes. This is a reason why I believed it to be the TPS. It had been 30,000 since I replaced the plugs anyway (which isn't long, I know) so I just had them do it.

And to answer someones question, the LS430 has ALWAYS been serviced at the Lexus dealer in either Louisville or Lexington, KY. Might be expensive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry in a State where many local shops are only domestic friendly.

With 184K can I really be complaining? The LS430 has never let me down, so I guess I shouldn't be upset about it. Just one of the minor yet annoying Lexus issues. I just would rather it be accelerating on it's own than not at all

Last edited by TJW98LS; 07-20-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 09:37 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im have the same issue with my 2001 LS430. but i have a check engine light for my cat. but the hick-up feeling is new please let us know if that fixxed the issue
Old 07-21-10, 05:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
sojah,

I tried this, and it has yet to work. It may work, but only for 100 miles... and I'm not a temporary fix, kind of guy.

UPDATE:

Dealer says it is the TPS. The car should be done tomorrow, and hopefully I can go take it for a run. I knew the ignition system wasn't the problem to begin with since the car threw no codes. This is a reason why I believed it to be the TPS. It had been 30,000 since I replaced the plugs anyway (which isn't long, I know) so I just had them do it.

And to answer someones question, the LS430 has ALWAYS been serviced at the Lexus dealer in either Louisville or Lexington, KY. Might be expensive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry in a State where many local shops are only domestic friendly.

With 184K can I really be complaining? The LS430 has never let me down, so I guess I shouldn't be upset about it. Just one of the minor yet annoying Lexus issues. I just would rather it be accelerating on it's own than not at all

i didn't realize you had that many miles... yeah it could have been a whole host of issues at that point. is this the first time you would have had them replaced or cleaned (TPS sensor)??
Old 07-21-10, 07:13 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I had 2 incidents in my GS and mb and turned out it's the TPS / vehicle speed sensor/accelerator. It's a cheap and easy fix.
When you say cheap and easy, what do you mean... Is it a DIY fix for the rookie weekend garage mechanic or does it require parts from Toyota and a visit to the dealer?
Old 07-21-10, 08:28 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
i didn't realize you had that many miles... yeah it could have been a whole host of issues at that point. is this the first time you would have had them replaced or cleaned (TPS sensor)??
Yes, the LS430 is my highway car. It will be the first time replacing the TPS from what I recall.
Old 07-21-10, 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
When you say cheap and easy, what do you mean... Is it a DIY fix for the rookie weekend garage mechanic or does it require parts from Toyota and a visit to the dealer?
Yes, very simple.....even a caveman could do it...j/k

Basicaly buy the part and just swap out the old one.

On my mb, the vehicle speed sensor was actually the whole gas pedal itself.
Bought the part at a mercedes part store (around $170'ish?) and a simple taking out 2 hex nuts.

On my GS, I took it to the dealer, they ran the code, and I had them replaced it there. Had I known what it was, I could've done it myself.

There's plenty of thread on the TPS in the GS section.

For TJW's LS to last that long on oem is superb
Old 07-24-10, 10:42 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

The TPS seemed to be the problem. I've been afraid if I posted, then I'd jinx myself. But so far so good. Driven about 500 miles on the new TPS.
Old 11-09-10, 06:15 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lately I have noticed a similar problem. When I accelerate from a stop (not hard acceleration) the car will bog down in either 2nd or 3rd gear. It will last for a few seconds and then accelerate back normal. It doesn't happen all of the time though. The car has 151K miles so I'm thinking it might be the same problem.
Old 11-10-10, 05:49 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hesitation doesn't happen all of the time and I have not noticed any decrease in mpg. TJW98LS, did replacing the TPS fix your problem for good?

Quick Reply: LS430 Has been at the Dealer because of hesitation