LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Issues with Codes P0440,1,6

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 01:47 PM
wbyrd
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with Codes P0440,1,6

I have a 2001 LS430. Two weeks ago I received the diag codes, P0440, 0441 and 0446. I lossened and retightened the gas cap and removed the code (via code reader). Now two weeks later, I received the codes again. A number of you found the problem to be the EVAP hose was diconnected behind the cabin air filter. Oh! if i can be so lucky.

I removed the cabin air filter and did not see the evap hose. Additionally, I removed the cover from under the cabin air filter housing area and found no hose under it either.

Does anyone know where the EVAP hose is?

=========================================
If any of you are planning to hire an IT Project Manager with PMP certification (or know someone who is), I'd be more than happy to send you a resume. Send me a private message.
Old 06-11-10, 01:51 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll check Alldata when I get home tonight for you.

I'm battling a P0444 on my Infiniti G35 at the moment.
Old 06-11-10, 03:42 PM
wbyrd
5th Gear

Thanks for the involvement. Look forward to your info.
Old 06-11-10, 04:38 PM
waijai
Racer

P0440:

The vapor pressure sensor, VSV for canister closed valve (CCV) and VSV for pressure switching valve are used to detect abnormalities in the evaporative emission control system.

The ECM decides whether there is an abnormality in the evaporative emission control system based on the vapor pressure sensor signal.

DTC P0440 is recorded by the ECM when evaporative emissions leak from the components within the dotted line in Fig. 1, or when the vapor pressure sensor malfunctions.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

HINT:

* If DTC P0441, P0446, P0450 or P0451 is output after DTC P0440, first troubleshoot DTC P0441, P0446, P0450 or P0451. If no malfunction is detected, troubleshoot DTC P0440, next.
* Ask the customer whether, after the MIL came on, the customer found the fuel tank cap loose and tightened it. Also ask the customer whether the fuel tank cap was loose when refuelling. If the fuel tank cap was not loose, it was the cause of the DTC. If the fuel tank cap was not loose or if the customer was not sure if it was loose, troubleshoot according to the following procedure.
* Read freeze frame data using LEXUS hand-held tester or OBD II scan tool. Because freeze frame records the engine conditions when the malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting, it is useful for determining whether the vehicle was running or stopped, the engine was warmed up or not, the air-fuel ratio was lean or rich, etc. at the time of the malfunction.
* When the ENGINE RUN TIME in the freeze frame data is less than 200 seconds , carefully check the vapor pressure sensor.
Old 06-11-10, 07:20 PM
waijai
Racer

Old 01-18-12, 04:25 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I am getting the exact same three codes repeatedly. I cleared them three times before replacing the gas cap. Thought I had it fixed because the codes stayed away for three weeks. But nooo. I got them all back yesterday. They all appear simultaneously. Last freeze frame showed 180F water temp and 685rpm, 0 mph, and 21% calculated load. (plus a bunch of fuel trim numbers.) I'm not sure what to do with all the nice schematics from earlier posts, plus I don't see any resolution. Does anyone have a silver bullet solution or do I need to start random troubleshooting? Direction would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-19-12 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 05:51 AM
waijai
Racer

Mine was a vapor pressure sensor in the engine bay on my G35. Tested it and it wasn't actuating when given voltage.
Old 01-19-12, 06:25 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I'll look at mine. It's frustrating to follow the book and "look for cracks or holes in the fuel tank" etc. Somehow I just don't think that's causing my problem.
Old 01-19-12, 10:03 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When i had these codes on my 01, a hose with a green cap (something to do with a fuel vapor return system, located on driver side, under the engine cover) had completely cracked open.

I'd check for any loose hoses. Always a painful process :/
Old 01-20-12, 09:26 AM
masterff
Rookie

that code and symptoms are the same as my UK spec LS, but the code is P10461.

it's the VSV Valve.

mine occured when the engine was over 4k RPM it opens up this valve, when under the 4k RPM it should close again
Old 12-09-12, 07:35 PM
parmdhoot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tcr101
When i had these codes on my 01, a hose with a green cap (something to do with a fuel vapor return system, located on driver side, under the engine cover) had completely cracked open.

I'd check for any loose hoses. Always a painful process :/

Thank you,

I saw the same three codes and had the exact same problem. For me the hose had just come off from one end.

I will report back if the check engine light comes back.
Old 12-10-12, 11:42 AM
Skynet27
Driver School Candidate

That's a tank side evap code so it shouldn't be anything in the eingine bay. Try replacing the fuel cap with a new O.E. unit from the dealer. The spring in the center go's bad after a number of years. If not that then it's probably the overflow return valve gasket on top of the fuel tank. Though those only go bad usually in hot weather states like arizona and nevada.
Old 12-10-12, 11:27 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VSV here too - had to replace it...the valve was completely “dead”.
Part is cheap (maybe around $40) but labour will be a bit more as it is on a nasty spot - hence it takes a few hours to get to it...
Old 02-14-13, 08:50 AM
warwickj
Driver School Candidate

Default parmdhoot -- did it fix your problem?

Originally Posted by parmdhoot
Thank you,

I saw the same three codes and had the exact same problem. For me the hose had just come off from one end.

I will report back if the check engine light comes back.
PARMDHOOT, I did not see anything in the thread confirming your check engine light stayed off, so I assume it did. I am wondering if my issue is identical...I saw an elbow tube which drops vertically and connects to another vertical tube had come off at that end. Reconnected a short while ago...light is still on but I probably have to reset it. Have not had a chance to read any codes. Does this sound familiar? I attach a picture below of the culprit, taken from directly above (birds eye view) so it elbows downward.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Issues with Codes P0440,1,6-hose.jpg  
Old 02-14-13, 09:45 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wbyrd
I have a 2001 LS430. Two weeks ago I received the diag codes, P0440, 0441 and 0446. I lossened and retightened the gas cap and removed the code (via code reader). Now two weeks later, I received the codes again. A number of you found the problem to be the EVAP hose was diconnected behind the cabin air filter. Oh! if i can be so lucky.

I removed the cabin air filter and did not see the evap hose. Additionally, I removed the cover from under the cabin air filter housing area and found no hose under it either.

Does anyone know where the EVAP hose is?

If any of you are planning to hire an IT Project Manager with PMP certification (or know someone who is), I'd be more than happy to send you a resume. Send me a private message.
evap hoses run from the driver side of the engine down the frame rail and on driver side on the frame rail down to the rear where they connect to charcoal canister. Theres no evap hoses in the cabin air filter area behind the glovebox. The evap lines go from the engine to the rear outside of the car. Remove the Engine Cover and look on top of intake should be 2 lines that run across the driver side valve cover. there should be a green cap that looks like a valve stem. that is a test port for smoke testing the system.

Quick Reply: Issues with Codes P0440,1,6