LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 08:46 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods

I couldn't find any pictures of cars with 20's with shortened rods in the different positions (normal and high switch) so I could see the difference so I figured I would lay it out and post it up for those of you wanting to do the same thing. For those of you looking to lower your UL Air with the rods, there are many threads out there with the info on how to do it.

The problem with sourcing threaded rod to use is the fact that one side is right hand thread and the other side is left hand thread. So I looked and looked for a company that had threaded rod with half right hand threads and half left hand threads that I could switch my height sensor rods out with so I could put it back to stock when I sell it.

No Go! Can't find them, they don't exist in metric (at least I couldn't find them)

The standard rods can't be purchased through Lexus without the sensor over $300 (yeah right!) and even at that they don't have enough threads

I initially lowered it using the standard rods but they were too long and it wouldn't sit low enough and I didn't want to cut the rods, besides there aren't enough threads it seems to lower it enough.

So I had to make some, I got the proper threaded rods and nuts
I cut each side of the rod shorter than each half of the factory rods and welded them together.

I put them on the car, dropped the rear height sensors all the way down and lowered it down in the front to get rid of the gap, I'll be getting the alignment taken care of next week.

pics are the -
Shorter Rods I made
Car lowered on the Normal and High settings from the front corner
Car lowered on the Normal and High settings from the side
Front and rear wheels on Normal and High (next post if it lets me)

This is about as low as I can go without scrubbing and standard lips and I'm not planning on rolling or cutting the lips/fenders either.

The rims are Cheapie Sport Edition ST4's and they require centering rings from (Tire Rack)
Size: 20x8.5
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 6.45"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Tire Size: 245/35-20

I redded out the Amber Tails with red vinyl
The tint is VA Legal and I have the sunshades up

It still rides smooth because of the air struts, the 20's though increased harshness a little bit, but that's fine, I usually drive in sport mode anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-9-rods.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-1-front-corner-normal-no-plate.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-2-front-corner-high-no-plate.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-3-side-normal.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-4-side-high-2.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-12-14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-11-10, 08:48 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Front on Normal setting
Front on High setting

Rear on Normal setting
Rear on High setting
Attached Thumbnails Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-5-front-normal.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-6-front-high-3.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-7-rear-normal.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-8-rear-high.jpg  
Old 06-11-10, 09:30 AM
ThaWatcha
Driver

very nice, the little extra drop looks good
Old 06-11-10, 09:39 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Very cool.

So with the sensors adjusted, the factor air bags will deflate to a specific ride height dependent on what you set it to.

So you will lose some amount of travel compared to say, lowering with an SS kit, correct?
Old 06-11-10, 09:41 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those look like amg wheels
Old 06-11-10, 09:47 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Originally Posted by waijai
Very cool.

So with the sensors adjusted, the factor air bags will deflate to a specific ride height dependent on what you set it to.

So you will lose some amount of travel compared to say, lowering with an SS kit, correct?
Yes with the sensors adjusted the system thinks it is higher than it is and it lets some air out to level it, not sure with the SS kit and factory travel

The way I look at it is this is essentially what the data contoller does but you can't adjust it on the fly with the exception of switching the switch to the high position which seems to raise the front and rear about an inch if you need to or want to.

Someone else might be able to chime in with more info about the SS kit
Old 06-11-10, 10:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

very nice!
love the way how it sits
Old 06-11-10, 10:48 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Any pics of the parts installed?
Old 06-11-10, 12:06 PM
speedemon
Rookie

Originally Posted by waijai
Any pics of the parts installed?
These are on my car, I put some white out on the middle so I would know how many turns I have gone, it's easier to count the turns that way. I was going to put a coat of oil on them too cause they were cleaned up when they were welded, but I forgot.

They work great, plus I still have my original ones to put back on the car later.

Also I might be able to make some for people that have already cut theirs if they need stock sized rods if you want to put it back to stock or near stock prior to sale.

2 more pics as well.
Attached Thumbnails Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-left-rod.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-right-rod.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-left-front-no-tag.jpg   Lowered '01 UL Air Suspension I Made Shorter Rods-left-rear.jpg  
Old 06-11-10, 08:18 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the rod method back in the day when I first got my UL. I got pretty proficient at adjusting it as you just need to turn the front wheel full turn to adjust one side and then same for the other. Literally took only a minute to do. Lowering the back just took sliding on your back to get to the 10mm nut and slide it up or down. An excellent easy way to drop the car and make it look good.

To shorten the rod, I bought a die to make my own rod. Very hard to find but a specialty tool place should be able to get you one with the correct reverse thread pattern. Just went down to Lowes Hardware and got a 4 foot length of blank rod with the same diameter, cut to length, then use the die. I could of make a dozen with the blank rod that I got and should of and sold them to cheap to all the CL brothers here Only needed about 4" or so on each side.

I finally just broke down and got the Datasystem Controller and never looked back.
Old 01-10-13, 05:14 AM
LethalLS
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have the thread spec available? I have access to a supplier that can do this for me for very cheap.
Old 01-10-13, 06:16 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Airtime, you saying that with the DataSystems Controller there is no need for this? Or anyone else feel free to chime in...

I just think that doing this may result in more harm than good, with the integrity of the rod in question and all... just my input. I could probable have these made also if someone had the specs, I probably could make an SS Kit copy given those specs. I have a machine shop in my unit, lol...
Old 01-10-13, 06:34 AM
LethalLS
Driver School Candidate

The data controller eliminates the need for this. I feel it won't cause too much harm as long as I don't get to crazy with the shortening of the rod. This just tricks the car to think it's riding higher where the data controller takes over full control and can dump the car all the way to the floor. I'd bet these rods are safer than the controller, but that's just my 2 cents.

Glen, That's a great offer are your rods straight because i'd imagine any bend would effect the accuracy.
Old 01-10-13, 07:05 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Originally Posted by LethalLS
Glen, That's a great offer are your rods straight because i'd imagine any bend would effect the accuracy.
Mostly straight yes, if they are not 100% straight it wouldn't effect the accuracy because it is the position of the sensor that matters. If one rod is shorter than another it doesn't matter as long as you adjust the car on level ground, the system will level itself according to where the sensor is adjusted, level it and it will be level.

Thanks,

Glen