LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 Ultra-Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 08:45 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 2004 Ultra-Luxury?

Looking for opinions on a 2004 UL model I recently discovered for sale in my local area. I'm not really in the market for an LS430 (currently own a 2010 LS6000hL and a 2006 SC430), but I'm fascinated by the amazing build quality of the LS430s and am always watching CarGurus/etc. to see if any pop up in my area. Very few ever do, so when I saw this UL model I got kind of excited.

Here's the link to the car: https://www.sarpycountymotors.com/20...E_29755653.veh
(please don't rush out and buy this car out from under me ;-)

The CarFax is clean, showing the car was purchased in California and brought to Nebraska in 2014 (2 owners). The Lexus service history is a bit spotty after 45k miles, but it may have simply been serviced by an independent shop.

I looked at and drove the car on Friday. It looks pretty good overall, but does have a rub mark on the right front bumper (that might buff out), and a couple of smallish dents. The interior is pretty flawless. Everything on the car seems to work (door lock actuators, soft-close doors, radar cruise, power windows/locks, tile steering wheel, etc). The car currently has Blizzak snow tires on it, so the ride is pretty noisy on the highway, but it steers and stops straight. The rims are Chrome (which I don't care for), and are showing some signs of corrosion/chipping. There's no indication that the timing belt has been changed, so it probably is original (and will need to be done). Air ride suspension seems to be working fine for now. I hit the "High" button and the car did rise uniformly about an inch or two. The engine purrs like a kitten, as is to be expected.

Asking price is $8900, but dealer said he'd take $8600 due to the tires and timing belt issues. Dealer just bought the car at auction in Kansas City, and hasn't even detailed it yet.

So I'm looking for thoughts/advice on this car. Price okay? I know with the UL's there's a risk of air ride failure, and I'm fairly aware of the general goodness of these cars (I lurk on this forum constantly). Thinking about buying this one, putting nice new tires and rims on it (saving the Blizzaks for winter driving), having the timing belt changed, and giving it to my son (who always admires my Lexus cars and is in need of a good new car).

Thanks!
Old 05-26-19, 09:02 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks pretty nice to me. I'd say decent price, but if I we're buying, I'd prefer $8k or less knowing the timing belt service is due unless they have proof it's done.
Old 05-26-19, 09:03 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

The asking price is fair for a 93K example at a dealer. The 17 inch wheels will give the most compliant ride. Given your location, there probably aren't all that many of these to pick from, so if you and your son like it, go for it.
Old 05-26-19, 09:05 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

i have a 2004 UL and all i can say is that i was very hesitant in buying it due to the air suspension. Fronts were changed by original owner at dealer and rears are still stock at 185000 miles. Not sure what lifespan is, but ride is impeccable. No regrets buying this car at all.
Old 05-26-19, 10:49 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Thanks for the thoughts on this one! I'm inclined to go for it unless I discover a reason not to. These cars are extremely rare in my area (even non-ULs).

Any thoughts/advice on the best way to obtain a nice clean set of OEM (non-chrome) rims for this car, so I can keep the Blizzak's set up for winter use only? I don't care much for aftermarket rims...
Old 05-26-19, 11:59 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd ask the dealer where they can get 4 new tires and a timing belt done for $300. I'd offer 7500 and tell them take it or leave it.
The following users liked this post:
caddylover (05-26-19)
Old 05-26-19, 01:18 PM
razvy
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You end up paying $9500 after taxes , fees , and papers .
Old 05-26-19, 02:15 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
Looks pretty nice to me. I'd say decent price, but if I we're buying, I'd prefer $8k or less knowing the timing belt service is due unless they have proof it's done.
+1 for $8K or less. I would use the timing belt service and tires as bargaining chip. These are needed immediately, which is ~$1500-$2000 which bring the car to $10K. Having said that, if it is clean, well maintained, everything checked out, interior and exterior color are what you like, nothing wrong paying several hundred more.

@riknchar check both outside mirrors. Open and close them. The 04 LS has problem with the mirror which is fixed at later model, and I believe there is a recall (too late now obv to get them fixed). My 04 driver side is not working right. It fold just fine but when it swing open, it open too much/do not stop at the right spot.
Old 05-26-19, 03:05 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Definitely pay someone to do a prepurchase inspection.
Look for wheel sets on eBay.
Old 05-31-19, 01:48 PM
riknchar
Instructor

UPDATE: So I asked the dealer to do a mechanical inspection of the car to let me know what condition it is in. This is a very reputable, very honest dealer, so I figured it couldn't hurt to let them take a look before I paid someone for a full PPI.

The results came back that one of the rear air shocks was shot, and that the other rear shock was leaking (OUCH). The brakes are at 4mm (need to be replaced fairly soon). The timing belt has not been replaced. It also needs new tires (Blizzaks on it ride pretty rough in the summer). And it has a few dings and scratches. So I'd guess we're talking about roughly $2k for new air shocks in back, $1000 for the timing belt, $600 for new brakes all around, $800 for nice new tires, and maybe $800 for another set of rims (so I could keep the Blizzaks mounted on the crappy chrome rims for winter use). The dealer won't budge on his price of $8600 (supposedly), so the grand total to get the car right would be $13,800 (not accounting for any body work to fix the scrapes). Um, NO THANKS!!!

I honestly don't know what the dealer actually thinks this car will bring, but if he paid more than around $5k at the auction for it, he's not going to come out too well... I can't see anyone buying it as is at $8600. I know I won't anyway, and I'm a HUGE Lexus LS fan.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking for the right one to come along for my son. Now that I have him interested in getting an LS430, I want to keep looking, since I think this would be an incredible car for him (he's driving a crappy Hyundai Elantra right now).
The following users liked this post:
aypues (05-31-19)
Old 05-31-19, 02:00 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you made the right decision to pass on this car.
Old 05-31-19, 02:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Good choice to walk away. The nerve of a dealer to inspect the car, find thousands of dollars worth of work that needs to be done and expect you to still purchase the car at list price.
Old 05-31-19, 06:55 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad you had the PPI. Sounds like both rear air struts were bad. Once leaking they have a limited lifespan left. The rears can’t be found at a discount either. I found the fronts for $750 each and had both of mine done 6 months ago.
Good choice on passing on it.
Old 06-01-19, 07:34 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Smart man

That's the issue with cars at right around 100 K. They tend to be due for a lot of maintenance at 90 K and it get's put off. T-belt, brakes, and tires, that's a 2,500.00 dollar bill right there.
Throw in the air suspension issues and a fair price for this car would be 5 grand. That would allow enough room to take care of all the deferred maintenance.

I love my air suspension, and I am really happy to own a UL. I purchased the opposite of this car. The PO spent a ton of money on mine, and then sold the car. Gotta love that.

A great resource is the lexus.com site, click on the owners section. Plug in the VIN number and all the service records, owners manuals and your cars original as sold options show up.
Old 06-01-19, 08:54 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you had the inspection completed and were able to uncover all those costly issues. Back to the drawing board!!

Quick Reply: 2004 Ultra-Luxury?