LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing Belt Condition 02' LS 430 114,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 06:22 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up Timing Belt Condition 02' LS 430 114,000 Miles

I just bought an 02' 430 two weeks ago and negotiated a $1000 addition off list due to the car needing a timing belt and water pump due to mileage. I shopped both Lexus and Toyota and found Lexus to only be $180 more plus a loner car which I needed for work today. Dropped the car off at Lawrence Lexus at 8:30 this morning, I was on my way with a 10' ES within 10 minutes.
I asked for the timing belt, water pump and Serp belt to be changed. I also asked for the tech to save me the timing belt just to see if it was close to failure. They called me at 3:30 PM to tell me she was complete and had her ready when I arrived. Price exactly what was quoted and the car was clean.
Upon inspecting the belt I have to admit this belt looks close to new. I am not a Mechanical Engineer (am an Electrical Engineer: D) and my opinion is that this belt could have easily gone another 100,000 miles. Not one crack, missing tooth or sign of dry rot. The belt was stamped "Made in USA" and all timing marks were clear and visible. The condition of the belt was great. I kinda wish it was poor so I would feel better about the $1000 investment. But now I can sleep a little better. I will post some pics of the old belt tomorrow.
Old 10-02-10, 07:24 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

it most likely was changed at some point before you bought it
Old 10-02-10, 07:28 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
it most likely was changed at some point before you bought it
When I saw the "made in USA" I thought about that possibility. However all service was completed at the same dealer, per the Lexus website and the timing belt was never listed as replaced
Old 10-02-10, 07:33 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

he may have had it changed at a service center that doesnt report to carfax as with most independents.atleast you know its good for another 100k.probaly cost 500 dollars at a independent shop.the belt would of had toyota on it if it were factory.
Old 10-02-10, 08:02 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The last two timing belts I've had changed on Lexus LS cars at 90,000 mile intervals both looked like new. The problem is that timing belts almost never break on their own but are trashed when another component fails. The timing belt on my first LS was "taken out" by the water pump seizing at around 75,000 miles when the water pump seized.

During the timing belt change, the idlers, the tensioner and a few other small parts should also be changed -- failure of an idler or tensioner is the most common cause of "timing belt failure" except its not the timing belt itself that fails.
Old 10-02-10, 11:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Why --even in these high end cars----do they use a cheap rubber belt to keep these engines in tune instead of a timing chain.

I find it to be ridiculous and seems like they are cheaping out where they shouldnt be.
Old 10-03-10, 04:01 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There's nothing wrong with using a high quality timing belt and maintaining a car properly. Do a search on Cadillac timing chain and you'll quickly see that solution is not a panacea. It appears that I was lucky with the two 3.6L GM engines I had in two of my Caddies.
Old 10-03-10, 05:31 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Why --even in these high end cars----do they use a cheap rubber belt to keep these engines in tune instead of a timing chain.

I find it to be ridiculous and seems like they are cheaping out where they shouldnt be.
The engines run quieter with a belt as opposed to a chain. I have an 08 ES350 that has a chain instead of the belt. For the first 20k miles, it sounded like a diesel when first starting it up cold in the morning. I complained to the dealer and got the typical response that it was normal. The noise has subsided for the most part but its still there.

IIRC, I thought they went back to a chain now on the LS460. I thought I read complaints from 460 owners that they were noisy. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 10-03-10, 05:32 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JimsGX
The engines run quieter with a belt as opposed to a chain. I have an 08 ES350 that has a chain instead of the belt. for the first 20k miles, it sounded like a diesel when first starting it up cold in the morning. I complained to the dealer and got the typical response that it was normal. The noise has subsided for the most part but its still there.

IIRC, I thought they went back to a chain now on the LS460. I thought I read complaints from 460 owners that they were noisy. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Jim,
That's what I was always told.. Belts are much quieter than chains. It makes perfect sense. But I know the new 460's have chains
Old 10-03-10, 05:54 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BT3100,

Given the fact that your belt says it was made in the USA, It seems almost certain that it was changed. If the car was made stateside, then I can see how it could be original, but since its made in Tahara, Japan, I doubt Toyota is/was importing US made timing belts to Japan for installation on the LS during manufacture.

You had no choice but to change it out. You didn't have a service record to support that it was done, and you couldn't take a chance that it was. It was money well spent.

Also, a tell tale sign would have been a sticker in the engine bay that stated the date and mileage it was replaced if a dealer had done it (should be there anyways!).

I would have done the same thing you did...
Old 10-03-10, 06:08 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

BT3100,

Given the fact that your belt says it was made in the USA, It seems almost certain that it was changed. If the car was made stateside, then I can see how it could be original, but since its made in Tahara, Japan, I doubt Toyota is/was importing US made timing belts to Japan for installation on the LS during manufacture.

You had no choice but to change it out. You didn't have a service record to support that it was done, and you couldn't take a chance that it was. It was money well spent.

Also, a tell tale sign would have been a sticker in the engine bay that stated the date and mileage it was replaced if a dealer had done it (should be there anyways!).

Thanks Jim!!
I checked the lexus online service log and even called the local service station that was listed on car fax (oil changed). The shop owner was a nice guy, he reviewed all of the service history he had on file, but no timing belt. I am glad I completed the service, as I did not need a broken belt, my luck it would have happened in the middle of winter on a dark snowy road
Old 10-03-10, 08:19 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

BT3100,

Yes I agree------you did the right thing forsure.

You can take chances on many things in life----a timing belt is not one of them lol.

Good luck and great car by the way -----im still driving my 93 sc400---I love it ---but I cant wait to upgrade to a 430.
Old 10-03-10, 08:21 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
There's nothing wrong with using a high quality timing belt and maintaining a car properly. Do a search on Cadillac timing chain and you'll quickly see that solution is not a panacea. It appears that I was lucky with the two 3.6L GM engines I had in two of my Caddies.
Hey caddy,

I didnt do any research but if your refering to the cadillac northstar engine----yes ---I have heard ALOT of negatives about them--------

I know this is a Lexus forum---but I would be interested in hearing a little more about this topic-----thanks
Old 10-03-10, 09:04 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Hey caddy,

I didnt do any research but if your refering to the cadillac northstar engine----yes ---I have heard ALOT of negatives about them--------

I know this is a Lexus forum---but I would be interested in hearing a little more about this topic-----thanks
Actually, the modern Northstars (say post 2001) are very good engines, albeit underpowered given today's V8 technology. Previous generations of Northstars had problems with head bolts pulling loose. Too bad GM decided to kill the engine rather than update it.

The engines with the timing chain problems are the 3.6L DOHC engine used in the CTS, older SRX, STS, and the Lambda crossovers (Traverse, Acadia, etc.). I think the FWD configuration of this engine is also used in some other GM cars. The timing chains stretch and may break. GM originally claimed it was limited to a small number of engines, but it appears to be more widespread than that.

Both the N* and 3.6 engines are known to use oil, usually a quart or two between oil changes.
Old 10-03-10, 01:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Actually, the modern Northstars (say post 2001) are very good engines, albeit underpowered given today's V8 technology. Previous generations of Northstars had problems with head bolts pulling loose. Too bad GM decided to kill the engine rather than update it.

The engines with the timing chain problems are the 3.6L DOHC engine used in the CTS, older SRX, STS, and the Lambda crossovers (Traverse, Acadia, etc.). I think the FWD configuration of this engine is also used in some other GM cars. The timing chains stretch and may break. GM originally claimed it was limited to a small number of engines, but it appears to be more widespread than that.

Both the N* and 3.6 engines are known to use oil, usually a quart or two between oil changes.

Before I bought my Lexus I was looking into buying a 2001 or newer caddilac deville and I did alot of research on the car and even spoke to many caddilca mechanics--------believe it or not some of them advised me against buying the car-----saying the northstar engine has problems with the head gasket leaking-----they DO burn quite a bit of oil in beetween changes like you said------and if im not mistaken he warned me about the timing belt/chain breaking and causing a catastrophe.

Sorry to change the topic of this thread----and talk about caddilacs-----I just thought i would let you know what I was told.

Thanks guys--and please forgive my spelling lol

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Condition 02' LS 430 114,000 Miles