LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

$117 for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 01:59 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mentioned this before but I will do it again. If you have navi in your car it will show where a dealer is located no matter where you are. Funny part is if you are far from a lexus dealer it will display toyota dealers. I know from doing exactly that last summer. Also for regular service items always check your dealer website for coupons. Where I live the dealer has 39.95 oil change coupons for fossil oil.
Old 05-26-10, 01:59 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What has happened to the thread starter concerns me. He stated in his last post they only did an oil change. They didnt top of fluids etc., or anything extra. As several members have stated, the cost should be between $50-$80 at the very lowest and most oil change prices even if you own another brand may be $40 at least which I understand those prices for just an oil change! The dealer I go to isnt cheap but, last I had just an oil change done it cost me $53 to do so. That was 3-4 years ago and with prices going up it may be $65-$70(economy cost rise) now which sounds about right for just an oil change.

Sounds like they gave our fellow member the banana in the tailpipe but, what concerns me is the lack of respect for the customer. I understand making profits is the goal of any business, I have one myself. That said, wouldnt $85-$90 been enough of a profit I guess not!!! Just pitiful what some dealerships do and the horrible dealerships make it bad for those dealerships who try to do customers at least decent, I can deal with decent. They all have inflated prices, thats a given. My issue is the total disrespect they gave this customer and charging $117 is egregious, not just unfair!!! Please call them and question the charges and have them explain what you paid for fellow member! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 05-26-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 02:28 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just called my local lexus dealer (Lexus of Huntsville)... asked for an oil change with synthetic oil. They person on the phone said it would be about $150. Holy crap batman, this is madness!
Old 05-26-10, 02:34 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

For what the OP paid, its about the right cost for synthetic from a Lexus dealer. Not saying its not expensive but that's the cost they charge.

Normal Dino oil cost $85-$87 at my Lexus Dealer. Say they charge $10/qt for synthetic (they mark it up) x 6 qt = Cost of oil alone is $60, add in filter, washer, nut, oil disposal fee, rag supplies, etc and labor at 1/2 hour, it add up to his cost.

Think about it, if you get Mobile 1 at $6qt x 6= That alone is already $36 in oil, add in $10 for filter and you're in it $46.

Took my moms Mercedes into the dealer for an oil change and it was $150 for dino oil. She wanted there specifically as she only wanted dealer oil change which didn't make sense to me but I don't want to argue and since I had a free $100 coupon from them to use, it was only $50 plus tax. So Lexus is not the most expensive dealer for oil changes.
Old 05-26-10, 04:06 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My local dealer charges around $140 for a Mobil1 change including tire rotation and the 24 point inspection.
Old 05-26-10, 06:23 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I guess it depends on were you are. Called my local dealer today for just an oil change price being I'm intrigued by this topic of prices charged and how they vary!!! The local(Charles Barker Lexus Va Beach) dealership quoted to me $55 for just an oil change alone. Again, seems to be a matter of dealer prices and what they decide to charge regionally or just based on cost etc. Also I asked why service amounts are the way they are, so high as the care ages etc., he had no exact answer fr that but, did sy they charge a flat rate for labor so if there slow working on your LS or other Lexus it doesnt cost you more if they go over as well it wont cost you more. He said prices are going up here at our local dealer from $95 an hour for labor to $105 an hour for labor, actually this price hike is currently active.

The economy is the culprit of course. I don't like the unclear reasons and price for labor being so high nor the change in charges when the car ages for the same service that cost much less when the car is younger such as a basic service!!! I asked why I paid so much at 105,000 when I had the same work done plenty times before at much lower prices, why is it getting higher as my car ages when I have had no other service/repair issues to add to the cost? He answered that its just the prices they charge based on pre-pricing but, gave no clear reason but, he just works there so I cant fault him. People have to make a living so you cant knock the working man/woman!!!

My conclusion to this is, if I'm driving this car I have to decide to based on the pros and the cons and the cons are cost at times to maintain it and the fact the prices arent reasonable. That said, a Bentley or Porshe and other exotics cost much more. Benz also cost a bit more to service as well as BMW so, Lexus while a bit pricy to maintain isn't the highest cost of the luxury segment! Just gotta bite the bullet and enjoy the pros of quality and reliability which is a product of perfect servicing that cost a bit that avoids high repair cost. TRADEOFF is long lasting car!!! L.G.N.M
Old 05-26-10, 06:32 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

OH, he also mentioned dealers a switching to synthetic blends and Lexus is trying to develop there own synthetic to keep the cost down instead of buying the synthetic and passing along the cost to the consumer! They use dino oil here for now in my metro area(Norfolk/Va Beach,VA) but, the switch he said is coming to the synthetic but, he gave no reason they are switching! Let's hope they come up with a Lexus blend that doesnt increase the prices to much.

Keep in mind that all Lexus salesman may not have the info this Gent has so you may find others who work for Lexus who arent aware of the oil change at all. He knew of the change from dino and let me know to also soon expect a price hike when they change to synthetic so wont be much longer that the price will be at $55. He explained it also may be why the thread starters oil change cost $117!! L.G.N.M
Old 05-26-10, 07:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cost totally depends on where you are and how many Lexus dealerships are around. I'm within about 15 miles radius from about four Lexus dealers, so it's competitive here. I could see if you're somewhere in midwest where Lexus dealers are not very common, you're gonna get the long rod up the shaft. Just have to be smart and know where to go for "normal" maintenance.
Old 05-27-10, 01:44 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

26.99 For 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec With a Bosch Distance Plus filter , I had the dealer do it for free since I caught a billing error. I wonder how much they charge to just install it.

I am hoping to get less shear with Castrol Syntec this time. This report below is really unknown what they put in, They have no idea. The Mechanic wrote down Syntec, but they say they would never put syntec in a 430 only the 460. I know for a fact Syntec is in the car now so hope it does not shear.

Last edited by tsslaporte; 05-27-10 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 06:45 PM
dh784123
Driver

i just pick up 6qts of MOBIL 1 5w-30 at walmart for a total of $32 + $5 for OEM toyota filter, and my independent mechanic charges $20 labor.

total of $57 isnt bad
Old 05-27-10, 06:54 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I paid $117 for a simple oil change today (Mobil 1 synthetic) at my local Lexus dealer. They wanted to do a 25k package service which would have been $275, it included cabin and engine air filter. I told them I do filters myself. I got home and started thinking about that oil change....seems pretty stupid to pay $117 for an oil change..even for synthetic.

We did an oil change on the wife's Highlander at Toyota last week for $39 and it included tire rotation.

I love my LS 430 but I think Lexus is going overboard on the services fees - the LS may very likely be my last Lexus as a result. In my situation in life I can easily afford it but I don't just like the feeling of getting ripped off.

Thoughts?
Service is like that with ANY luxury brand.
Old 05-27-10, 07:02 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Skyrocket...

Originally Posted by dh784123
i just pick up 6qts of MOBIL 1 5w-30 at walmart for a total of $32 + $5 for OEM toyota filter, and my independent mechanic charges $20 labor.

total of $57 isnt bad
Has the price of the 5-gallon jug skyrocketed? Why are you guys picking up 6 quarts at $32, when 5 quarts is only $24? With filter change, the LS430 takes 5 quarts to the middle of the hash lines. Therefore, add another .5 quarts of dino to top of to top line if you want.

I've just done the 5 quarts even, don't even waste with topping it, but if I was going to, .5 of dino won't hurt anything mixed in with 5 quarts of syn.
Old 05-27-10, 07:07 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't trip over a dollar trying to pick up a dime...
Old 05-27-10, 07:27 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I know its a luxury brand so I can expect to pay luxury brand prices.

But a simple oil change is just a oil change on most cars and what brand it is just doesn't matter.

Jack up the car. Unscrew a drain plug and drain the oil. Screw the drain plug back in. Unscrew the oil filter, and screw a new filter back on. Lower the car and fill with 5.5 quarts of oil. In 90% of cars if this process takes more than 15 minutes, you are slacking.

I did it myself for many years on all my cars until I got tired of getting dirty and having to store and mess with used oil until I get it to the recycle. I may have to start up the diy oil change again.
Old 05-27-10, 07:43 PM
dh784123
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Has the price of the 5-gallon jug skyrocketed? Why are you guys picking up 6 quarts at $32, when 5 quarts is only $24? With filter change, the LS430 takes 5 quarts to the middle of the hash lines. Therefore, add another .5 quarts of dino to top of to top line if you want.

I've just done the 5 quarts even, don't even waste with topping it, but if I was going to, .5 of dino won't hurt anything mixed in with 5 quarts of syn.
5qt jug at walmart is $23.95 + 1qt bottle is something like $5.95 with tax its something like $31 ish ... never thought of mixing 1 qt of dino into it instead of buying an extra qt of synthetic ... ill probably end up doing that next time.

Quick Reply: $117 for an oil change