What to expect from an LS430 with 170,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 04:18 PM
dr_alwafi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect from an LS430 with 170,000 miles

Hi guys,
I own a 2001 LS 430 with 170,000 mile on it. its beginning to require major services that cost around 5000$. Do you think i should expect more from it in terms of life expectancy. what are the life expectancies of its engine anyway?
Old 04-22-10, 04:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd guess the car is worth $10k with that many miles. You might be better off selling the old car and spending the $5k maintenance dollars instead towards a newer used LS - 10k +5K =15 add 5 more and you're at 20K and you can likely get a 2004 with a lot less miles.

In any event if you want to keep the 2001 with all those miles, I'd find a good independent Toyota shop that would give you a good discount price for all that work instead of having someone like the Lexus dealer do it.

Once it hits 200k miles it will take another huge depreciation hit so it may be time to say goodbye...
Old 04-22-10, 05:23 PM
jyeager
Driver School Candidate

Not sure what kinda of major services you are referring to, but many of the suggested maintenance items are just a way for them to milk you for extra money. I would have a hard time investing 5k in a car with 170k miles, even an LS.
Old 04-22-10, 05:32 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^agree with Jyeager and Jabberwock...I would try to get rid of it HONESTLY and pick up a newer LS with less miles because unless you want to try to set the record for "most miles on an LS" its not worth keeping really...when Jabberwock makes a very good point...OR you can probably sell your car for around 10k and invest 5k into ANOTHER younger 2001 for $15k EASILY...I'd aim for 2004+ though...
Old 04-22-10, 06:38 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me poor, but you guys are saying throw in $5K, to something that MIGHT be worth $10K, then throw another $5K and you're at $20K. Okay, how many people first of all have $5K sitting around in their drawer ready to just be thrown. Also, good car indeed, but I'd almost think it would be a tough proposition at the current market to see an almost 10 year old car with close to 200K for $10K. JMHO, but I don't think I'd put in $10K for a 200K car no matter what it was.

Secondly, what are the $5K you're talking about for major service. Is this in one shot, or over a period of a year or so? I mean if you're doing timing belt every 60K, water pump and things like that, then it's just excessive first of all. I would keep to maintenance schedule and try to either have a local mechanic or Toyota dealership work on the car, no need going to Lexus dealer anymore for maintenance.
Old 04-22-10, 07:12 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^we are saying that a car worth 10k is not worth 5k worth of repairs...you rather sell the 10k car and put 5k into buying a new car...
Old 04-22-10, 07:47 PM
Jabberwock

There is definitely room to argue this both ways - fix it or sell it. And as correctly pointed out some of where you fall in that decision matrix depends on your budget. If you do have an extra $5k or so available...and I am pretty sure some LS owners do given the demographic that drives this type of car, it makes the value equation and decision point different.

If you do a quick check on Edmunds for high mile 2001 LS they do sell for about 10k. So even if there is no extra $ in the budget, and you just add $10K sales price to the $5K maint cost you can certainly with a little work and patience find a newer LS with a lot less miles for apprx $15 K - again just check Edmunds. So my personal assessment is that if the old car really needs $5k work I'd prefer to sell it and buy a newer one. But another person could reach a different but perfectly valid choice to make the repairs - it just depends.

My point is that I always want to stay near the top of the value curve in a car if possible (since its a rapidly depreciating asset). To do that at some point a person has to be able to calculate and recognize that it is time to say good bye to a car that is past its prime on the value curve.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-22-10 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 08:01 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bad news is that the car isn't worth much. You need to find ways to significantly reduce the maintenance costs if you want to keep it. The good news is that you are driving a reliable rock that should be able to exceed 500,000 miles on the factory engine/transmission, if you keep up with the maintenance. If you have let it go, then good luck breaking 250k.
Old 04-22-10, 09:04 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im trying to understand what service cost $5,000 without neglect being an issue(maybe previous owner) or something. Am I the only one who questions this? What did the dealership suggest or tell this fellow member. Sounds like repairs and not service! Something must be broke that needs repair or maybe its preventative work!!!

Besides those issue, I would keep the car if the issues aren't problematic that are causing you to possibly have to spend $5,000! First time I have heard of an LS owner having to spend $5.000 for a regular schedule service at 170,000 miles. Can the thread starter be more clear as to the service or repair or if it is a service or a repair the fellow member needs! Depending on how much money you have free and clear is what determines your next move. I would keep the car but, selling it like other members have suggested is also a good option if you can find a 2004 LS430 with a good/great service records!

Any way, all the best whatever you decide!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-22-10, 09:13 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 03 is about to break 180K and running fine. I'm keeping it until the wheels fall off... then buying a 2006 model. The LS430 is an amazing car to travel in.
Old 04-22-10, 09:51 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

I bought my 2001 LS430 last August at 120k miles for 10 grand.... I have 144k now and it still runs great......
Old 04-23-10, 03:16 AM
dr_alwafi
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys i was away from the computer. Its more of a repair that i'm talking about. The Lexus dealer told during the last check up that i need to change the steering box (because its leaking). and the master break box which was malfunctioning. that was all after i just spent 4500$ on changing the radiator (which was leaking) and changing the starter that stopped working.

according to the dealer the steering box costs around 1500$ and the master brake box costs around 2700$ thats parts only. by the way i haven't missed a service yet. Are these failures going to continue to happen.

The idea of selling it and getting another one is not bad. But if fixing the above well give another 100K hassle free ride i'll stick with it
Old 04-23-10, 04:38 AM
Jabberwock

That's the downside of driving older LS430s, they don't often break but when they do replacement parts and repairs can be extremely expensive particularly using a Lexus dealer. Try to find a reliable third party mechanic if possible. Maybe post a note on your local Craigslist looking for a Toyota or Lexus tech that can do side jobs.

In the end its a simple economics equation. Is it a better value for you to fix your older high mile car or sell and get a newer version.

If your old car has been well maintained, it may be better to just go ahead and fix it but you have to be prepared to then drive it for at least 2-3 more years to make the repairs worth it.

A well maintained Lexus engine and trans should last for a long time - how long ? 250-300k+ is my guess.

One caveat is that if this is a Northern car and seen several winters I'd check for rust under the car. If you have significant rust I'd get rid of it rather than repair.
Old 04-23-10, 08:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_alwafi
according to the dealer the steering box costs around 1500$ and the master brake box costs around 2700$ thats parts only.
I'd also check around for other quotes if you or acquaintances know any shops you can trust. I'm not sure what they are referring to re: master brake box, but if it's a master cylinder, that's a <$150 item to purchase new, and a used (should be fine -- they're not known for failing) steering box is $3-400. Depending upon the install, you might be looking at a much lower cost to repair from an independent shop (again, if you know one you would trust).

Also, I'd want a second opinion as to what's leaking on the steering box -- make sure it's not a line or fitting or something that can be more easily repaired.
Old 04-23-10, 09:00 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As I said, 170K and mechanical problems with car, I would not bring to dealer and get rippped. I'd take to a shop you like or someone can recommend and easily save over 50% on parts and probably only 60-75% of the dealer's labor. $2700 better not be for the master cylinder, it better be the wole booster assembly. Steering column leak, just bad luck...

Quick Reply: What to expect from an LS430 with 170,000 miles