LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

activated the XM free 2 mo trial

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 10:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default activated the XM free 2 mo trial

I try not to go for everything free, but since it didn't require a credit card, I figured, why not try it.....my buddy said imagine the irony, listening to Yacht Rock radio while cruising in a land yacht.....

You just set the radio to channel 0 and enter the info here...takes a couple of minutes and it's good to go.

https://care.siriusxm.com/preownedve.../preownedtrial
Old 07-22-17, 07:22 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Your car must have had the Satellite radio antenna installed already? Mine doesn't recognize any sat-rad signal.
Old 07-22-17, 07:38 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

They must have changed things. Back when I bought a new 2010 Camaro it came with 3 months for free but you had to give up a credit card and it was auto renewed. It was like jumping through hoops to get it cancel.
Old 07-22-17, 08:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah my car has that puck like thing on the left of the trunk lid, and it always had channel 1 which is a preview. I decided to look online on how one would actually get service, and the forum said turn to channel 0 for the ESN. If they had required a credit card, I wouldn't have gone for it. My wife has had a "trial" on her 2011 car since 2011--6 mos. for $25. Last time, the guy said no such program exists anymore, and I think he was serious. He said we'll do 6 mos. for $30, and give you a $5 credit (technically before the taxes it's just over $4). She feels it's worth $5/mo., so we keep it...but on the LS I'll just let it go until late Sept. and drop it....over the course of this trial, our state added sales tax on internet music, go figure....

I would think, if a person were to register for yet another 2 mo. trial, it would say not eligible? But what if the car were legit sold to another owner, and they did want to try it....

p.s. I always thought the SAT radio sounded compressed in her car, and that HD radio in loaner cars was far better. Can't quite tell on the LS, still think cds sound better than the SAT radio...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-22-17 at 08:57 AM. Reason: taxes
Old 07-22-17, 10:07 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With most vehicle sound systems the sat stuff is not too bad. But, with the ML system and all speakers in good condition... Cd's all the way.

Mine also came with the xm puck on the front right roof. I had to be very careful when I polished out the clear coat 's scratches.... Also the head unit install was less than stellar... Nah, it just plain sucked.

Good to have the tons of channels with xm though if you are just wanting some news or background music.

All the best,

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 07-22-17, 10:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

When I bought this car, I asked the salesman, what's that black thing on the trunk, was this car used by a car service? (I would later find out that in NYS, it has to be certified that it was never used as a limo/taxi etc.)

He goes, "No, I think it's for satellite radio, that's how they did it back then."

Back then....lol

But I do know that with my '07 BMW it was optional, and the hardware is not in the car if you don't pay extra for it. Nowadays it's built in whether you want it or not....like on my wife's '11
Old 07-22-17, 11:46 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

SAT was a dealer-installed accessory for '04 - '06. (The '01 - '03 LS is not "SAT-ready." You can install after-market SAT though.) I installed SAT radio in 2 of my LS430's. Tuner, wire harness, micro SAT antenna and antenna adapter required. (My SAT antenna is not a big ugly hockey puck nor is it mounted on the trunk lid edge as the dealers installed them. It's virtually hidden.)
Old 07-22-17, 12:08 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Whenever I sign up for any "free" trial service and they want a credit card I just go and generate a virtual number (Citibank offers this service, don't know if others do too???) and give that to them. So when the trial period ends and they go to charge the card, it has already expired and is no good anymore...
Old 07-22-17, 12:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

From my build sheet, I have code P7...maybe the port always put the puck on the left edge of the trunk, seen that many times before, but also I have seen on cars.com ones where it was centered on the front edge of the trunk, maybe that is the dealer.....

Code Description Installation Source
P7 XM Satellite Radio Port

also looks like the port installed the trunk mat, cargo net, and wheel locks--imho they should have also left the original lug nuts with the car, in case the owner wanted them. Like when Oakley replaces lenses under warranty, they give the customer the Oakley box which would also have the microfiber bag with it....why not?

Z1 Preferred Accessory Package Trunk Mat, Cargo Net and Wheel Locks Port

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-22-17 at 12:12 PM. Reason: oakley
Old 07-22-17, 12:24 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
From my build sheet, I have code P7...maybe the port always put the puck on the left edge of the trunk, seen that many times before, but also I have seen on cars.com ones where it was centered on the front edge of the trunk, maybe that is the dealer.....

Code Description Installation Source
P7 XM Satellite Radio Port

also looks like the port installed the trunk mat, cargo net, and wheel locks--imho they should have also left the original lug nuts with the car, in case the owner wanted them. Like when Oakley replaces lenses under warranty, they give the customer the Oakley box which would also have the microfiber bag with it....why not?

Z1 Preferred Accessory Package Trunk Mat, Cargo Net and Wheel Locks Port
The "port" never installed a SAT antenna (the "puck" you refer to). Again, dealer installed accessory.
Old 07-22-17, 12:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
The "port" never installed a SAT antenna (the "puck" you refer to). Again, dealer installed accessory.
That's from the build sheet that Lexus emailed me, so I believe them. The ports have value added services, for example, they prep the batteries on BMWs, they installed the wood trim on my Nissan back in 98, etc.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...plained-215790
Old 07-22-17, 05:08 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a flat puck on eBay for $15 and mounted it under the brake light in the rear window. It works quite well. The puck does not need an unimpeded view of the sky, just no metal, to work properly. It's a minor re-routing of the very thin wire.