LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 08:21 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My Dealer said not to touch the Trans fluid on my 05 LS , There is a chance that it might cause issues due to new Fluids.
Old 06-28-13, 01:08 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Don't know the origin but I have also heard this advice/story many times - not from trained mechanics just word of mouth mostly, for the last 30 years - "If you haven't changed Tranny fluid on a car ever and it has 80k or more its better to just leave old fluid because changing the fluid would cause clean out the old tranny and cause it to fail.
Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I would go ahead and flush the trans even at greater than 80k. I am a big believer in running with clean oil/fluids in my cars. Take care of your car and it will take care of you is how I think about this.
this has some truth in it, the trick is, if it has over ~80K with it's original fluid, you can't just change the fluid and especially not flush it, as this will shock the system and often cause transmission failure, you have to slowly introduce the new fluid, so at first, just drain out a single quart and replace it with new, then in another 10K or so, drain out two qts and replace, and so on.

Only after you are up to 4 qts drain & fill or so should you consider a pan drop, and only after several complete drain & fills should you completely flush the transmission. (which, guess what, you have already done your flush via multiple drains & fills! )

my best friend Paul works for Aisin
Old 06-28-13, 07:34 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to add one thought to what LScowboy has stated -
I have been advised multiple times to avoid a "power flush". "Fluid exchange" is OK.
Old 07-03-13, 04:19 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Today I had the tranny fluid in my '05 changed at the dealership (109K miles on the car). I asked the SA if the tech made any comments. The answer to that question was no. The SA went on to say that the dealership's SOP is to "flush" the old fluid out of the system with the engine running and in drive, etc., to make sure that the fluid around the torque converter is changed, etc and to remove debris. I'm not sure if they use the procedure described above by Teamplayer or another one. The invoice shows that 10 quarts of Toyota WS fluid were used. In any event, the car is driving great!
Old 07-03-13, 04:28 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My dealer alludes to warming fluids to a certain temp to perform the change. What dealer was that that you allude to to get 10 quarts out of the system. My old LS with 200k shifted great the new one is superb at 64k I want to keep it that way.
Old 07-03-13, 04:53 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
My dealer alludes to warming fluids to a certain temp to perform the change. What dealer was that that you allude to to get 10 quarts out of the system. My old LS with 200k shifted great the new one is superb at 64k I want to keep it that way.
The tech did not drain 10 qts.; rather, he *used* 10 qts in the "flushing" procedure (the labor line on the invoice says "6600 TRANS FLUSH").
Old 07-03-13, 10:13 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you very much
Old 07-09-13, 03:19 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had called my local lexus and Toyota dealer. my lexus dealer said they were not going to service it. my Toyota dealer said it would cost 113+ tax for the service. The service is........ wait for it..... only a drain and refill of 3 quarts. Wow I can do this myself but want to change all the fluid in my car. I guess I'm out of luck and will just resort to a drain and refill every 1-2 weeks until I use all of my atf. I have 12 quarts of the Toyota ws so hopefully at least half of the fluid is new by the time I use all 12 quarts.
Old 12-26-13, 01:23 AM
deagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw, I've owned a couple of cars with 'lifetime' fluid. All they do is try to minimize costs while they are required to service your car for free.

Last edited by deagle; 12-26-13 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 01:49 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to help clarify for a couple of people that have asked but I have not seen any answers.

What is a sealed transmission? Very simply if you do NOT have a dipstick then it is a "sealed" unit. It is NOT sealed as to where you can't drain it and put fluid in it.
Old 12-27-13, 04:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by toyo
Just to help clarify for a couple of people that have asked but I have not seen any answers.

What is a sealed transmission? Very simply if you do NOT have a dipstick then it is a "sealed" unit. It is NOT sealed as to where you can't drain it and put fluid in it.
You know, I honestly think "sealed" is really the wrong word to be using. Something tells me it is almost like a slang name for the 04 - 06 transmission. There is nothing sealed about it. It just lacks a dipstick. Correct me if I am wrong, but starting in 2004 with the upgrade to the AISIN 6 speed is when they removed the dipstick. They also use World Standard ATF and not Toyota type IV fluid which is used in the LS400 and 01 - 03 LS430.

I think World Standard would be a better way of describing our 6 speeds. I can guarantee AISIN did not design the transmission to be left with its original fluid for the life of the unit. This makes no logical sense as WS fluid breaks down just like type IV fluid. Plus the procedure is well documented on how to either flush or drain and refill the WS 6 speed transmission at the Lexus dealer. Most dealers don't flush for the reasons mentioned and apparently the machine needed is incredibly expensive. At least one dealer told me this.

I did my first drain and refill at 105k right after I purchased the car. Although, the transmission had only about 93k as it was replaced under the 04 recall. Anyway, I plan on doing it again in another 30k miles. My local dealer charges only $99 for the service.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-27-13 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 05:17 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You know, I honestly think "sealed" is really the wrong word to be using. Something tells me it is almost like a slang name for the 04 - 06 transmission. There is nothing sealed about it. It just lacks a dipstick. Correct me if I am wrong, but starting in 2004 with the upgrade to the AISIN 6 speed is when they removed the dipstick. They also use World Standard ATF and not Toyota type IV fluid which is used in the LS400 and 01 - 03 LS430.

I think World Standard would be a better way of describing our 6 speeds. I can guarantee AISIN did not design the transmission to be left with its original fluid for the life of the unit. This makes no logical sense as WS fluid breaks down just like type IV fluid. Plus the procedure is well documented on how to either flush or drain and refill the WS 6 speed transmission at the Lexus dealer. Most dealers don't flush for the reasons mentioned and apparently the machine needed is incredibly expensive. At least one dealer told me this.

I did my first drain and refill at 105k right after I purchased the car. Although, the transmission had only about 93k as it was replaced under the 04 recall. Anyway, I plan on doing it again in another 30k miles. My local dealer charges only $99 for the service.
I agree with you totally. I remember my 2004 4Runner had the "sealed" transmission and telling myself how crazy this is. The one thing I really dislike about this design is how hard it is just to check the condition and level of the fluid from a dipstick. My 06 LS is just about to hit 100K and I can't decide what I am going to do as servicing it yet.
Old 12-28-13, 05:29 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is endless, its really a simple formula, if the care is approaching 9 years old and 100k change the fluid in the 04-06 and then do it every 40k,
in the 01-03 i got my car with 89 k and i change it every 30k, the second one i did after 15 k because i didnt do a flush and i was getting rid of the excess bad fluid
just think about fluid as the bad c disease we haven't been able to get rid of in the country if the fluid is bad it will contaminate so stay up on your fluid changes with brake, tranny, power steering, the rear diff can last 100k and be changed every 60 k thereafter.
Old 12-28-13, 06:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

This thread is very informative too. I think the lab results posted speaks for itself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...id-thread.html
Old 12-30-13, 06:57 AM
karasdad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had a complete flush with independent brand fluid

My 2004 LS430 has been pretty reliable and I am not adverse to listening to my mechanic. He did a complete flush and replace with non Toyota ATF product called BG full synthetic ATF at 90K. they have all the equipment to do this kind of stuff and the price is $8.73/qt, about half the price of the Toyota WTF which I had used earlier in a drain and top off. 16 qts was $140 and labor was $116 so it was cheaper. Seems to run fine, been on it for 5K miles and can't sense any difference.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)