LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Old 07-05-16, 08:43 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a flush on the transmission fluid while I had the undercover off doing an oil change. My car is a 2005 with 97K miles on it. It doesn't look like ATF has been changed.

Overall, I flushed 3 gallons out, and put 3 gallons back in and ran a overflow procedure. Here's a picture of the color of the ATF change at each point of the flush, the initial color looks really bad like used engine oil.

Old 08-29-16, 05:38 PM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the drain and fill over the weekend and decided to take pictures to help those who are looking to do this for the first time.

Tools that you need: 24mm, 14mm, and 10mm wrenches. A ratchet or Allen key set with Allen key 5 for the check plug, and a quart pump.

First you would want to use your 10mm wrench to remove the two screws for the plastic cover to expose the fill plug on the driver side of the transmission.
Name:  IMG_2664.jpg
Views: 9465
Size:  357.0 KB

Next you would want to open the fill plug first with the 24mm wrench. (We want to make sure that you can fill it before you dump out all the old fluid). You would use the quart pump and route the hose into this fill hole to pump in the new fluid once the old fluid has been drained.
Name:  IMG_2667.jpg
Views: 6478
Size:  306.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2668.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  241.3 KB

In this picture the drain bolt is the bottom and the one that is towards the center of the pan that's offset is the check plug which requires the Allen key.
Name:  IMG_2670.jpg
Views: 3242
Size:  222.7 KB

And lastly is the picture of the fluid being drained. Mine was dark at 129k miles.
Name:  IMG_2673.jpg
Views: 3040
Size:  156.0 KB

I performed the flush 4 times to get the fluid to clear out. Eventually as it drained the fluid started to get clear after the second drain and fill. I also used Toyota WS fluid as well for the process.

I followed the manual precisely when I got to my final flush by checking the fluid while the engine was idling without the check plug installed. I saw the fluid trickle out so then I replaced the check plug and everything is good. What I had noticed is that if you check it with the engine off then you will under fill your transmission as it will spill out of the can before the engine starts using it. I hope this helps out!

If anyone else has any other inputs or suggestions please post up.

Last edited by legend921; 08-29-16 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by legend921:
JBrady (03-13-19), kos (10-10-19)
Old 08-30-16, 06:21 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Now that I know my transmission is properly filled I just replace what is drained.
Old 09-01-16, 04:08 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

legend921, excellent pics and writeup. Only comment I'd make is that you can't simply check fluid level with check bolt loosened until it trickles out. It is important that the temperature of the fluid is also correct as well, which by the way is NOT maximum operating temperature. Reason is that the fluid expands with higher temperature. The repair manual describes the procedure to make sure the temp is correct. I guess you could debate how much difference this really makes but in any case its in the manual. If I recall correctly, I did it first without worry about the temp, then repeated with correct temp and the volume difference was about 2 cups of fluid on a drain/fill.

From an engineering standpoint this is kind of interesting, because what it means, I guess, is that the fluid temp varies significantly through a normal duty cycle......unlike engine oil, which is pretty stable once its thoroughly warmed, as is the case with engine coolant. So the engineers specified a test temp for the tranny fluid somewhere in the middle of the range and called it a day.
Old 09-01-16, 06:20 PM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
legend921, excellent pics and writeup. Only comment I'd make is that you can't simply check fluid level with check bolt loosened until it trickles out. It is important that the temperature of the fluid is also correct as well, which by the way is NOT maximum operating temperature. Reason is that the fluid expands with higher temperature. The repair manual describes the procedure to make sure the temp is correct. I guess you could debate how much difference this really makes but in any case its in the manual. If I recall correctly, I did it first without worry about the temp, then repeated with correct temp and the volume difference was about 2 cups of fluid on a drain/fill.

From an engineering standpoint this is kind of interesting, because what it means, I guess, is that the fluid temp varies significantly through a normal duty cycle......unlike engine oil, which is pretty stable once its thoroughly warmed, as is the case with engine coolant. So the engineers specified a test temp for the tranny fluid somewhere in the middle of the range and called it a day.
thanks, Toddmorr. I didn't add the picture but I used a infrared temp gauge on the pan to gauge the transmission fluid temp since I didn't have access to a scanner. While I was measuring the pan was between the specified temperature of 115 and 130. That's when I started the car and then opened up the check plug to see fluid come out and then once it started to trickle replaced the check plug. as for regular fill with the engine off the pan will get full sooner. I noticed this when I had filled it up to the point that fluid was leaking out the transmission and replaced the plug. Ran it through the gears and then removed the plug with the engine on and nothing came out. I then went and added another .4 quarts and removed the plug it atarted to come out with the engine running. At this time the transmission is well made. I didn't feel much of a difference but I feel a lot better knowing the transmission is running fresh fluid.
Old 10-08-16, 11:25 PM
xhifer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just confirming.. The transmission itself will always have room for the 2-3 quarts drained from the pan, correct?
Old 10-09-16, 07:42 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine has always drained 3 quarts while the front of the LS is on ramps.
Old 10-09-16, 07:18 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Mine has always drained 3 quarts while the front of the LS is on ramps.
I found the same with my 2005. As did my friend with his 2006.

Drain 3 quarts, add 3 quarts.....it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.
Old 10-10-16, 08:23 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

I only get 2 quarts out in the last two drain and fills. Always put 2 quarts back in.
Old 10-12-16, 05:38 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I only get 2 quarts out in the last two drain and fills. Always put 2 quarts back in.
Is the front end of your LS up on ramps while draining? With the front end up, more ATF drains out. I have seen this posted wayyyy back in this long thread.
Old 10-12-16, 05:45 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Is the front end of your LS up on ramps while draining? With the front end up, more ATF drains out. I have seen this posted wayyyy back in this long thread.
Yes, the front end was up the last drain and fill. The first drain and fill I had the car level on 4 jack stands and only 2 quarts came out.
Maybe I'm a quart low?

Last edited by tradosauru; 01-23-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-22-17, 10:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My indie is recommending that this is done, 0% chance of causing the tranny to fail because it got new fluid when mileage is in the 80's, so I'm going to do it. Reasoning going back to how can any fluid last forever, it's already 11 y.o...
Old 01-23-17, 07:35 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Yes, the front end was up the last drain and fill. The first drain and fill I had the car level on 4 jack stands and only 2 quarts came out. Maybe I'm a quart low or you over over-filled by 1 quart?
From what I have read over the years is that 3 quarts comes out on a ATF drain and fill... I actually asked a certified Lexus indy mechanic in Naples FL, that I know, and he said usually 3 quarts drains out. Depending on how warm the ATF may be is why in your case maybe only 2 quarts drains. I have always had 3 quarts of WS ATF drain out and that is what I always put back in. If it is running smooth, I would not be concerned about it.
Old 01-23-17, 10:56 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

From what I have read over the years is that 3 quarts comes out on a ATF drain and fill... I actually asked a certified Lexus indy mechanic in Naples FL, that I know, and he said usually 3 quarts drains out. Depending on how warm the ATF may be is why in your case maybe only 2 quarts drains. I have always had 3 quarts of WS ATF drain out and that is what I always put back in. If it is running smooth, I would not be concerned about it.
Thanks. I did notice that whether I had the car level or the front on ramps that I drained 2 qts of transmission fluid. I wonder if I should add 1/2 qt more next drain and fill just to be safe?
Old 01-23-17, 02:30 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks. I did notice that whether I had the car level or the front on ramps that I drained 2 qts of transmission fluid. I wonder if I should add 1/2 qt more next drain and fill just to be safe?
To be safe in my mind requires only replacing what you take out. If you are not having any other drivability issues with your transmission why would you want to take a chance overfilling the transmission?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)