LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air suspension!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 08:49 AM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension!!!

How is it I have read hundreds of post and replies to issues with the air suspension on the ULs and Lexus has yet to do a campaign on them. Yeah I get it money drives the train but a faulty part is a faulty part. Over $2400 to fix a problem is ridiculous.
Old 03-30-10, 09:23 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Basics

Originally Posted by mrpitbull
How is it I have read hundreds of post and replies to issues with the air suspension on the ULs and Lexus has yet to do a campaign on them. Yeah I get it money drives the train but a faulty part is a faulty part. Over $2400 to fix a problem is ridiculous.
What is considered "faulty?" They're blowing at sometimes around 80K, 120K, some don't go even at 150K. With respect to this great forum, we're also taking the forum members that have issues as being some vast majority, when in fact 100% of the forum may equate to only 10% of the general LS populance.

If they were going at 25K, 30K, and everyone (on forum with UL) was experiencing it, then there is definitely grounds for a recall or campaign.

Finally, basically the air suspension is a bag in the suspension system that is being filled and released with air. That bag is not indestructable (obviously) it's going to break sooner or later. I would imagine the rougher the road, the more you adjust the level, temperature/weather, etc. will all affect the wearlife of the system.

Yes, we like to say the LS is "bulletproof" but I just don't think it's fair to think that every little mechanical item that will wear down, is something the manufacturer has to cover for life... which is exactly what some people are expecting.

just my 2c worth.
Old 03-30-10, 07:30 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

agree completely... if u don't even agree with such possible problems at such mileage u should pick a lower model NOT the UL... mayb ML or CL...

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
What is considered "faulty?" They're blowing at sometimes around 80K, 120K, some don't go even at 150K. With respect to this great forum, we're also taking the forum members that have issues as being some vast majority, when in fact 100% of the forum may equate to only 10% of the general LS populance.

If they were going at 25K, 30K, and everyone (on forum with UL) was experiencing it, then there is definitely grounds for a recall or campaign.

Finally, basically the air suspension is a bag in the suspension system that is being filled and released with air. That bag is not indestructable (obviously) it's going to break sooner or later. I would imagine the rougher the road, the more you adjust the level, temperature/weather, etc. will all affect the wearlife of the system.

Yes, we like to say the LS is "bulletproof" but I just don't think it's fair to think that every little mechanical item that will wear down, is something the manufacturer has to cover for life... which is exactly what some people are expecting.

just my 2c worth.
Old 03-31-10, 05:02 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Lower model

Originally Posted by drpatel77
agree completely... if u don't even agree with such possible problems at such mileage u should pick a lower model NOT the UL... mayb ML or CL...
That's sort of what factored into my decision to go CL instead of UL. I know the air is going to go eventually, along with never using the rear features, why would I want a vehicle that will be higher maintenance in a few years.

Stick to good old reliable struts, and standard back seats. My kids don't need the massaging feature back there anyway.
Old 03-31-10, 12:35 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
They're blowing at sometimes around 80K, 120K, some don't go even at 150K.
Actually, several people have had problems earlier than this... around the 50-60k mile in some cases.

Agree that parts will eventually wear out, but not after 4 years or 50k miles. Just sounds like another "bad design" or "low bid" part added to this sedan. If the part was less than $300, you probably would have less people upset about it. As it stands now, no aftermarket parts exist and the OEM part is nearly $1000. That is sickening!
Old 03-31-10, 07:24 PM
mrpitbull
Rookie

I understand where you guys are coming from but why fault a person for wanting a UL. I know a part isn't designed to last forever but it should also have some durability. And the cost to replace is ridiculous. I guess you just gotta pay the cost to be the boss. But I'm willing to bet, when a person buys a UL they don't expect to pay $2400 or more to fix their rear shocks.
Old 03-31-10, 07:27 PM
AlexusAnja

Default That's the thing...

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Actually, several people have had problems earlier than this... around the 50-60k mile in some cases.

Agree that parts will eventually wear out, but not after 4 years or 50k miles. Just sounds like another "bad design" or "low bid" part added to this sedan. If the part was less than $300, you probably would have less people upset about it. As it stands now, no aftermarket parts exist and the OEM part is nearly $1000. That is sickening!
And that's the thing.. "several" on the forum that go at 50K, equate to how many in total of the total UL owners out there? Are the say 50 that have had the air blow at 50K really statistically any worse than the say 200 that have 200K and the air is still good?

I mean yeah, if I had the UL and my air suspension blew to crud at 50K, I'd be p'd too, but things do break and some times they break because of material variances and there are "lemons" by any manufacturer.

Maybe being a mechanical engineering by study I'm just naturally more forgiving of failures, but to call this a "defect" or "design flaw" is just not correct, for this item.

Would I want my LS to run to 300K with no issues, darn right. If the engine blows at 200K am I going to beeyotch about it? Probably not, just my bad pick to not get the 1M mile motor but the 200K one instead. Shart happens... it just happens.
Old 03-31-10, 09:37 PM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Default resetting sensors

I just was browsing through the lexus owners club forum and they were posting the height adjustment sensors maybe the issue. Resetting the sensors may fix the problem. Anybody have any experiences with this?
Old 03-31-10, 09:53 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

i understand what u are saying... trust me i have a UL as well c 52K miles... i am afraid of similar problem possibly coming in the future but i bought the car knowing that... i actually wanted a CL but this UL dropped on radar and could not say 'no'... so will cross that bridge when i get to it...

can't u switch it out with coilovers ??? why not do that rather than fix the air again and maybe have same problem later..??

can someone answer about UL air being able to be switched by coilovers...??

Originally Posted by mrpitbull
I understand where you guys are coming from but why fault a person for wanting a UL. I know a part isn't designed to last forever but it should also have some durability. And the cost to replace is ridiculous. I guess you just gotta pay the cost to be the boss. But I'm willing to bet, when a person buys a UL they don't expect to pay $2400 or more to fix their rear shocks.
Old 04-01-10, 05:20 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can replace the air setup for coilovers for around 1200-1500 for all 4, just like replacing to aftermarket coilovers in any car. also how would one reset the height sensors? i have adjusted my front height sensors manually and am not sure how i would go about resetting them, didn't know you could.
Old 04-01-10, 06:32 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Regarding the coilovers... i told my wife that i'm facing the dilemma of buying the expensive Lexus air shock or replacing all with coilovers. She said, you bought the UL, you need to maintain it. So, she seems cool about the expense. That is one hurdle... the next will be my common sense on the issue.

On the resilience of the Lexus air shock part. I found this information online at http://www.arnottindustries.com/faq/index.asp

"How long do air suspension parts last?
The air springs normally last 80,000 to 100,000 miles. Over this time, the rubber bladder dries out, and cracks around the bottom piston. Compressors usually wear out due to leaky air springs. For the most part, the computer and height sensors normally last the life of the vehicle."
Old 04-01-10, 06:43 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your wife sounds a lot like mine (on this issue). the ls430 is not listed on their product list though, only the ls 400 on that link.
Old 04-01-10, 06:49 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by sojah
the ls430 is not listed on their product list though, only the ls 400 on that link.
True... i have not been able to find any re-manufactured or replacement (non OEM) LEXUS LS430 air shocks. If anyone find a source, please post.
Old 04-01-10, 03:35 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Regarding the coilovers... i told my wife that i'm facing the dilemma of buying the expensive Lexus air shock or replacing all with coilovers. She said, you bought the UL, you need to maintain it. So, she seems cool about the expense. That is one hurdle... the next will be my common sense on the issue.

On the resilience of the Lexus air shock part. I found this information online at http://www.arnottindustries.com/faq/index.asp

"How long do air suspension parts last?
The air springs normally last 80,000 to 100,000 miles. Over this time, the rubber bladder dries out, and cracks around the bottom piston. Compressors usually wear out due to leaky air springs. For the most part, the computer and height sensors normally last the life of the vehicle."
I just swap my air struts out for coilover this past weekend. my air struts are still good and i also have the data controller, I'll sell you both. i have a 04 Ul.
Old 04-01-10, 09:05 PM
gldndrgn14
Pole Position

drpatel77, off topic, but who is that in your sig?

Quick Reply: Air suspension!!!