LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Best leather cleaning methods

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 08:59 PM
mdawg630
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best leather cleaning methods

I got the ecru color leather in my LS and thank goodness for the shirts and different covers, sheets that protected my leather over the years .but its time for a nice cleaning and I feel like I have to be super careful and want to use the right stuff and do it the right way dont really trust no shops any suggestions anyone ?
Old 03-19-10, 09:30 PM
poopsnack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdawg630
I got the ecru color leather in my LS and thank goodness for the shirts and different covers, sheets that protected my leather over the years .but its time for a nice cleaning and I feel like I have to be super careful and want to use the right stuff and do it the right way dont really trust no shops any suggestions anyone ?

I like Lexol cleaner (orange bottle) and Lexol conditioner (brown bottle). I bought them at a Toyota dealer back when a Benz was my full time ride. Been using them for years, and even that benz has perfect leather.
Old 03-19-10, 11:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Leatherique and Rejuvenator works great as a combo.
Old 03-21-10, 08:18 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried leatherique and also the lexus cleaner conditioner bottles. The leatherique is better, but the best I've seen is the stuff the dealer uses (not the stuff they sell in the parts dept...they don't sell to the public)...makes the seats look almost new. Of the stuff the dealer sells, I recommend the cleaner. It cleans spills up just as well as the leatherique part 2 light beige mixture, just less watery and a LOT cheaper. I'm not sure how the leatherique part 1 will work on vented seats...might absorb into the holes, in which case you'll have a disaster on your hands (sticky goo would soak into the holes). I vote for the dealer...only $40 for all the leather in the car. The leatherique costs about $50 and is good for 2 applications, but it takes some number of hours. (1) Is your time worth the $25 savings, and (2) the stuff my dealer uses (they say it's only sold by Lexus to their dealers) works better. I got the Lexus visa card, so virtually all the service, detailing I have done (1 leather cleaning a year plus a full detail per car) is free.
Old 03-22-10, 02:01 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

is there anything that can erase a pen mark? I have a pen mark and it's really annoying me, both in my home (leather furniture) and also in the Lexus.
Old 03-22-10, 05:29 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with the pen marks. I had pen marks on the headrest of my SRX when new. (It looked like someone was checking boxes on a checklist up against the headrest and tore through the paper.) The Cadillac dealer tried a number of solvents and eventually swapped the headrest with another car.
Old 03-22-10, 06:12 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You can try a professional leather ink pen stick cleaner - get it from a trade or pro distributor. But best to call them to get the right specific cleaner for the type of leather you have in the car. There are different cleaners for different leathers.
http://www.metroguardian.net/shop/gu...c-11-p-76.html

http://www.metroguardian.net/shop/in...-c-11-p-9.html

You can also try Isopropyl alcohol on a cue tip and gently dab and wipe repeatedly with dry tissue. The idea to dissolve the ink - put it into solution with the alcohol, and lift it up into the tissue - works if the ink is alcohol soluble. But too aggressive treatment could also remove color from the leather.

I suggest you test any cleaner on an inconspicuous spot first.

And unfortunately, the longer the ink dries that harder it will be to remove. And if the ink has been fully absorbed into the leather you have actually dyed the leather and it is almost impossible to remove - it will likely have to be spot filled and color match re-dyed (painted) - take it to a pro leather shop for this.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-22-10 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 09:53 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The BEST leather cleaning method

I am going to to tell you the BEST way to clean your leather. Especially great for light colored interiors like yours.

First get a set of Mr. clean magic erasors. get the extra strength variety. Moisten them them up until they hold about a little water. Not too little, not too much. You will figure it out very quickly. First make sure your fully saturate and then squeeze out just enough excess water. Proceed to rub your seats down, every so often rinsing the dirty erasor, and it WILL Be dirty. This cleans better than ANY, I repeat ANY liquid leaner I have used.

Now just take a clean micro fiber cloth and spritz some clean water totake off any residue that may be left behind in the car.. (you dont want to put it back into your leather) Now, because these little guys are going to deep clean your leather, it will also be taking out any oils. So you are going to need to replenish them. I suggest now following up with some tanners preserve. slather it on with your hands and massage your leather, let it sit for a little bit, and buff. your leather will look absolutely stunning, if not new. I promise.
Old 03-22-10, 09:33 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
is there anything that can erase a pen mark? I have a pen mark and it's really annoying me, both in my home (leather furniture) and also in the Lexus.
You might want to try buying a Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar. I have some high end leather furniture and this is what the manufacturer recommends to clean it because this bar is very gentle and PH balanced / neutral.

If this doesn't work, you might try getting some of the Leatherique oil, put some liberally on the area, cover it with saran wrap and let it set overnight. It may get under the ink and soften it so it lifts out. My understanding as to why the Leatherique is so effective is that it contains animal proteins, so it has some of the same characteristics as the leather hides we're using it on. It's really a two part system that you apply in reverse of other products. The oil goes on first, then the cleaner (which contains conditioners) goes on second. The oil lifts the dirt and grime out of your leather and softens it.

Jim
Old 03-25-10, 09:05 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the outcome mdawg? did you go at it? Im curious to hear hich method you decided to choose.
Old 03-25-10, 09:45 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

You may not want to use a Magic Eraser on leather - http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...r-leather.html

I would only use a Magic Eraser specifically for very hard to clean marks, and only as a last resort.

For general cleaning, I use Zaino Leather Cleaner with clean white cloths. Any good leather cleaner should work. I find microfiber cloths are able to scrub harder than plain cotton. White cloths will show you when you got all of the dirt out.

After the leather is clean, I use Zaino Leather Conditioner. Again, any product that moisturizes the leather should be fine.

Zaino, Lexol, and most Google results recommend conditioning AFTER cleaning: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13 and http://www.lexol.com/auto.html
Old 03-27-10, 07:10 AM
mdawg630
Rookie

I havent yet went at it waitin for the weather to get a little warmer out this way but i Appreciate all the replys ! I ll definetly get back to you guys but keep the suggestions coming