LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS 430- Brand new Owner! Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 05:22 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by milesdf
Thanks for the warm welcome! I think I have the Modern Luxury as I have the Nav system but no headlight washers, that i can find.
The Toyota dealer I bought it from didn't seem to know how to get the options from the VIN.
Only glitch I have found so far is the rear window shade does not respond to the button on the dash. Will find and check the fuse first, then ask for help!
Need to have a PHD to understand the Nav system. Bluetooth works great!
Photos coming... Again, thanks for the support and info!
Dave
Here's how you find precisely what you have and original pricing. It's all found on the Lexus web site.

Go to lexus.com. At bottom of page select Contact Lexus→Knowledge Center. From Topics→Model Specifications & Pricing (1990-2005)→LS (1990-2005). Select View model specs and pricing for your year car. You can then view or download a pdf document which includes specifications, exterior colors, original pricing and options.

Enjoy, and congratulations on your new car. I also have an 04.
Old 02-16-10, 05:27 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by honeygee2
I'm not even sure what model I have. Can anyone help? Its got nav, heated and cooled seats, parking assist,ML stereo.
There was no Modern Luxury (ML) package in '03 by name, but based upon those features (assuming it doesn't have other things you're not mentioning) you have what is called ML in the '04+. It was identified by the code NL in '03 (Navigation, Levinson, I suppose). My '03 was equipped that way.

Take a look here: http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...3_LS_specs.pdf
For other year models, just change the year in your internet browser bar.

Last edited by I6turbo; 02-17-10 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 05:37 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Looks like you have the sport suspension with 18 inch wheels (standard wheels are 17 inch). Identified by the small emblem behind the front wheels. This makes it rather unique as I don't think there were a lot of those.
Old 02-16-10, 06:47 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Base base base...

Originally Posted by I6turbo
True, but I'll bet there are practically no cars out there that have been modified this way.

Good catch -- I just added Premium to the list. I've never actually seen an '04+ LS without the components of the Premium package. Have you?
I would do the rear side door sunshades, if I could part with some used/junk yard parts for under $200. I would not do it for $400/side.

As for catching a base, never seen one. In my hunting for my LS, the lowest I had seen was premium. I wonder if the base was even more rare than the UL? Like the ES' that have cloth interior.
Old 02-16-10, 07:14 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was no Modern Luxury (ML) package in '03 by name, but based upon those features (assuming it doesn't have other things you're not mentioning) you have what is called ML in the '04+. It was identified by the code NL in '03 (Navigation, Levinson, I suppose). My '03 was equipped that way.

Take a look here: http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...3_LS_specs.pdf
Thank you...its really nice to deal with well informed people.
Old 02-16-10, 07:14 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Here's how you find precisely what you have and original pricing. It's all found on the Lexus web site.

Go to lexus.com. At bottom of page select Contact Lexus→Knowledge Center. From Topics→Model Specifications & Pricing (1990-2005)→LS (1990-2005). Select View model specs and pricing for your year car. You can then view or download a pdf document which includes specifications, exterior colors, original pricing and options.

Great info..thanks
Old 02-16-10, 07:30 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Thanks Jay!!!

Loved seeing what my car cost then in 2001 base price. All I can say is,WOW! A little over $54,000 base price back then!!! WOW!!! Thanks JayClap for the info. Seeing it is like being in a time machine. I always liked these brochures and still have some, somewhere in my home that is. Were is the question! Hhahahaa! Good info, less stress to find the info how you gave it sir!! Thanks! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-16-10 at 07:33 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-16-10, 08:06 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys, after seeing the info JayClap put us on to. I decided to check out price changes of the LS in various years. This is sticker shock and I only used base prices not option included packages that would have made the prices higher and didnt use the bsae 460L's price. I used the LS460 base SWb for the 2010 LS. Heres the list fellow members. I just used first two numbers of prices and made last three digits all $0 for all cars in each year!!!

1990- $36,000 LS400
1997- $53,000 LS400
2005- $56,000 LS430
2010- $65,000 LS460

Either the value a dollar once held has fell out of the universe or Lexus has cleverly raised prices without most noticing due to being lower than the competition. Not bad comapred to how the German makes raised there prices so, I guess I cant and wont complain about it. Just thought it was crazy seeing how they eased the price up each year and are at $65,000 base. Is it just me or is that high?

Really guys Im asking not telling. Not complaining at all guys/gals Im happy with my Lexus and the prices are still lower than the other luxury brands(European,not American) again but, just asking! Imagine how much the European makes have went up since 1990 in prices!! Also, does this mean when they sold the 1st generation LS' they charged very low prices for there cars then, so low the profits were minimal? To the brand new owner I say, Congrats. You made a WISE decision in buying used!! Depreciation is amazing!!L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-16-10 at 08:16 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-16-10, 08:40 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
1990- $36,000 LS400
1997- $53,000 LS400
2005- $56,000 LS430
2010- $65,000 LS460

Either the value a dollar once held has fell out of the universe or Lexus has cleverly raised prices without most noticing due to being lower than the competition.
I agree. All of the above. You can also add a bunch of 50+ year old males who were willing to pay the sticker price.
Old 02-16-10, 09:12 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah LS430DE, its crazy how time flies and prices go up(value of the dollar drops) as they do. Seeing it with my eyes blew me away though! The brand new owner made a Wise decision. As for me I can afford a new LS460 but, this confirms it for me. I only will buy used now. Not for just the purpose of saving a dollar or two but, the price initially always means nothing after years pass anyway.

Seeing those prices thanks to JayClap pointing out that feature on Lexus.com I see something more WISE about buying used than I saw before. The dollar losing value is an issue as well as the car. Did I think of this before? YES! Just not together though. I thought of depreciation over here and dollar value over there!!! But again to the new owners CONGRATS! Such a reliable car is the LS430 as long as you do all the services you will get years of use and be secure that you'll have to do normal wear and tear services and repairs. Not one extra thing had popped up for me. Been ouut of warranty since 2006 and no issues that cost me extra money that wasnt expected issues like brakes,tires,suspension,bulbs going out,belts,battery etc.!!!!

Last edited by usermel; 02-16-10 at 09:15 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-17-10, 07:34 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

There's even more info you can find on the Lexus web site. If you're a registered CPO owner and have access to MyLexus on that site you can find and download your car's service record (including being able to add service by yourself/other shops), order a new owner's manual (no cost), and determine what cell phones are compatible with your car, amongst other things.
Old 02-17-10, 08:03 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usermel
Heres the list fellow members. I just used first two numbers of prices and made last three digits all $0 for all cars in each year!!!

1990- $36,000 LS400
1997- $53,000 LS400
2005- $56,000 LS430
2010- $65,000 LS460

Either the value a dollar once held has fell out of the universe or Lexus has cleverly raised prices without most noticing due to being lower than the competition. Not bad comapred to how the German makes raised there prices so, I guess I cant and wont complain about it. Just thought it was crazy seeing how they eased the price up each year and are at $65,000 base. Is it just me or is that high?
I think a couple of things are going on. For one, there is the natural inflation. For example, a 1990 Ford Taurus base price was $13,400. A 2010 Taurus base is $25,170. By that comparison, the LS has held the line on price increases.

Also, the LS and Lexus in general has EARNED the right to sell for a relatively higher price than when it was just trying to enter the market, so there is some justification there, IMO. After all, everyone and every company deserves to get paid for perceived value, just like none of us would work for $20/hour if we could earn $40.
Old 02-17-10, 09:31 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What the market can stand...

I think a couple of things are going on. For one, there is the natural inflation. For example, a 1990 Ford Taurus base price was $13,400. A 2010 Taurus base is $25,170. By that comparison, the LS has held the line on price increases.

Also, the LS and Lexus in general has EARNED the right to sell for a relatively higher price than when it was just trying to enter the market, so there is some justification there, IMO. After all, everyone and every company deserves to get paid for perceived value, just like none of us would work for $20/hour if we could earn $40.
Well... percentage wise yes, the Taurus has almost doubled, but so has the LS since 1990 and back in 1990 it was "base" but had all the goodies of it's time so really it was "loaded" more than base.

I agree with you, Lexus has earned the right to be up with the big boys and Tier 1 luxo brands. Everybody is selling at that high level, so why shouldn't Lexus? People are buying it, so the market obvously can support it (for now).

As for if cars are worth $60K, that's a different question. Honestly, if you look at a full-sized generic (Camry, Taurus, Accord) sedan loaded, it would probably be in top $30K/low $40K range. So, at say $39K, it would be hard to justify having a vehicle of comparable type be almost double the price, even if the luxo vehicles have better leather and more electronics.

Again... the market dictates pricing and I don't see any big reduction in 7, S, and LS's on the roads....
Old 02-17-10, 10:01 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Honestly, if you look at a full-sized generic (Camry, Taurus, Accord) sedan loaded, it would probably be in top $30K/low $40K range. So, at say $39K, it would be hard to justify having a vehicle of comparable type be almost double the price, even if the luxo vehicles have better leather and more electronics.
IF, say my recent brain surgery went terribly wrong and I found myself buying a new car, I'm not sure what I'd be willing to pay up for. But real-world, for me, there's way more to a vehicle than the list of gadgets on paper. Of course it all comes down to what consumers value, but for me there is no Camry, Taurus, or Accord, regardless of the year model that is remotely in the league with an LS430, so these aren't comparable type vehicles. It'd be about like telling me that I can get a brand new double-wide mobile home with "central heat/air, stainless appliances, carpet, tile, big-screen TV and surround sound" for the same price that I can get a nice 15-year old brick home with all those things. No thanks. There's more to it than the generic list of features.
Old 02-17-10, 03:27 PM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Sport" suspension but 17: wheels?

Looks like you have the sport suspension with 18 inch wheels (standard wheels are 17 inch). Identified by the small emblem behind the front wheels. This makes it rather unique as I don't think there were a lot of those.
Jay and others- Thanks for the great advice! "You are all very wise."
As you mentioned, I do have the "Sport Suspension" label behind the front wheel well, but have 17" tires (Is that a concern?) . NAV, Bluetooth, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, rear camera and parking assist.
I'm still hoping that the VIN can somehow tell me the hole original sticker picture.
Any guidance here?
Very happy newbie!
Dave

Quick Reply: 2004 LS 430- Brand new Owner! Wow!