LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430 Headlight/Rotate ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 10:27 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 LS430 Headlight/Rotate ??

When i turn left my headlights (Rotate)swivel left , When i turn right they don't swivel right as much at all. Sorry i don't know the correct terminology for this headlight option . Is there a problem with the head lights ?? They are very responsive turn the steering wheel to the left , right not so much ??
Old 01-29-10, 04:40 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Correct

Originally Posted by snakehead
When i turn left my headlights (Rotate)swivel left , When i turn right they don't swivel right as much at all. Sorry i don't know the correct terminology for this headlight option . Is there a problem with the head lights ?? They are very responsive turn the steering wheel to the left , right not so much ??
That's correct. The headlamps turn left more than they turn right. The angles are different, I think 15 degrees right and only 5 degrees right. I think it's because in terms of vision, you need a more angles pivot when turning left because we drive on the left, whereas the right side you have the whole open windshield and better visibility.

Anyway, as long as they're turning they're good. If what you're saying is that it barely moves at all turning right, then you might have to get it looked at.
Old 01-29-10, 09:31 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
That's correct. The headlamps turn left more than they turn right. The angles are different, I think 15 degrees right and only 5 degrees right. I think it's because in terms of vision, you need a more angles pivot when turning left because we drive on the left, whereas the right side you have the whole open windshield and better visibility.

Anyway, as long as they're turning they're good. If what you're saying is that it barely moves at all turning right, then you might have to get it looked at.
Yeah it just seems like turning right maybe 10% Left 50% , ok so that is normal that they swivel a lot more to the left. Thanks , I was swerving all over the road last night trying to make sure.
The following users liked this post:
Eduardo253 (05-22-23)
Old 04-28-14, 10:08 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snakehead
Yeah it just seems like turning right maybe 10% Left 50% , ok so that is normal that they swivel a lot more to the left. Thanks , I was swerving all over the road last night trying to make sure.
Lol, I did the same exZct thing a day or two ago, trying to figure out the heck is going on. It's just funny because I can only imagine what it looked like from outside. Haha, thx for the info btw, I was wondering about the same thing. (2005 LS430UL)
Old 04-29-14, 12:51 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest, AFS on the LS430 is practically useless since the beam pattern is so wide on these cars. It already throws light into and around the corners without moving a muscle in the projectors.
Old 04-30-14, 03:29 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, it's only about 17 mph and above that it works. 5 mph crawl and they don't turn.
Old 04-30-14, 04:19 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

You don't need it at low speeds. Going slow enough to stop if something in front of you on the turn.
Old 04-30-14, 05:56 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Does anyone turn afs off? They work good. On hills I like the vertical adjustment.
Old 02-19-15, 06:13 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bump for the previous question, I also seem to have nervous lamps at times that experience some jitter. Anyone have those issues too?
Old 02-19-15, 09:19 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Bump for the previous question, I also seem to have nervous lamps at times that experience some jitter. Anyone have those issues too?
That is a symptom that your HID is going bye bye.

Invest in a new pair if you've never changed them before. You should notice an increase in visibility. Because older HID's loose lumens when they age.
The LS430 comes with an extended life D2S HID, these are extremely reliable and age for a good period of time. That's why you only see fellas changing them 10 years later when they flicker.
Old 02-19-15, 09:55 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
That is a symptom that your HID is going bye bye.

Invest in a new pair if you've never changed them before. You should notice an increase in visibility. Because older HID's loose lumens when they age.
The LS430 comes with an extended life D2S HID, these are extremely reliable and age for a good period of time. That's why you only see fellas changing them 10 years later when they flicker.
Awesome, thanks! Are these 5500k? What is a good replacement? Philips? Sylvania? 6000K? I want to stay legal but wouldn't mind an improvement considering technology has to have improved in 10 years. I'll search the forum too.
Old 02-19-15, 10:56 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome, thanks! Are these 5500k? What is a good replacement? Philips? Sylvania? 6000K? I want to stay legal but wouldn't mind an improvement considering technology has to have improved in 10 years. I'll search the forum too.
NP, no they're 4300k from the manufacturer, which is the amount of lumens that will output the most visibility the human eye picks up.
The OEM hid's are OSRAM I believe. It depends on the color you want, around ~5k you'll have a pure white output, anything above that you'll start to get a blue tinge, which i love.
I honestly love my "Phillips Ultinon's", they're the best blue tinged hid's with the least compromise of light output.

And on the amazing LS430 projectors these bad boys just shine!

I got'em from TRS, because you can rarely find someone selling the genuine original ones. But TRS is a trusty place to buy them at.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...X#.VObZXUJE688
Old 02-20-15, 11:21 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I just replaced mine b/c I noticed they weren't quite as bright as I remember once I had my headlight lenses cleaned. They were 11 years old so it was getting to be time. The original lights are Philips. There are a TONNN of counterfeit bulbs around. The only place I found that has the OEM D2S bulbs was Amazon...with the hologram and all. And not from 3rd party Amazon vendors...only from Amazon directly. Here is the box you are looking for:

Old 02-20-15, 11:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

This chart may help. What is the lumens rating of the Ultinon 6000k?
Attached Thumbnails 2004 LS430 Headlight/Rotate  ??-image.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-20-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 11:42 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Good stuff aypues and Lavrishevo, thanks for this pics and chart, very helpful!

Quick Reply: 2004 LS430 Headlight/Rotate ??