LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you rate the 430 now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 04:51 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How do you rate the 430 now?

How do you think the LS430 would stack up against the new generation of cars from a host of auto makers today? I know that it wouldn't do well in its class(flagship) today but what about the class below it that includes cars like acura RL, Lincoln MKS, Infiniti M45, and a host of others that i think would rival the 430 now! Opinions?
Old 01-18-10, 05:17 PM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's sort of a "how do you think a 1965 Mustang would compare to a new Hemi Charger?" question. Of course the LS430 would not compete with a S550 Mercedes, Audi A8, BMW 750--or probably not with the cars you list. It's old gen car in a new gen world.

What's the point of your question?
Old 01-18-10, 05:21 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I disagree with the notion that it doesn't compete with the current flagship models. I've driven the S550, A8, 7 series, and LS460. All things considered, I prefer the LS430 to all of them *for my purposes and tastes*. That said, I'd probably own an S550 Sport right now (no interest in the non-Sport) if it weren't for the reliability question.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-18-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 05:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i had the ls460l and now still have the gs350. honestly i still think the ls430 is one of the best built cars in terms of quality, fit and finish. it's just so solid, smooth, and soft.
Old 01-18-10, 05:37 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For what I was paying on my two leases, plus my planned down payment, I could buy any car under about $65K. After researching new and used premium sedans that can meet our handicap needs, the LS430 is the best solution for us.
Old 01-18-10, 05:56 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS430 is king , for the money you can't beat it. 1, very underrated car.

Last edited by snakehead; 01-19-10 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-18-10, 06:13 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the 04+ LS430's are my favourite model LS'
Old 01-18-10, 07:30 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
That's sort of a "how do you think a 1965 Mustang would compare to a new Hemi Charger?" question. Of course the LS430 would not compete with a S550 Mercedes, Audi A8, BMW 750--or probably not with the cars you list. It's old gen car in a new gen world.

What's the point of your question?
If you read the statement correctly i did say that it would not do well against its class today but how would it fair against newer versions of the class beneath it since it does have a lot of features that cars today are now offering and more. The point of this question is to get opinions(i thought that is what this forum was for) and that's what the members gave and so did you somewhat. Thanks!
Old 01-18-10, 08:01 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it would fare pretty well with current "tier 2" luxo makes, and probably stand pretty close with even some tier 1 models. In terms of performance, 5.9s to 60 mph is still pretty good by today's standard because current models are possibly .5s faster, which really doesn't feel like much in real world standings.

As for looks, of course it's going to look dated, especially the interior, but isn't that like all cars from one gen. to another?

Technology goody wise, probably doesn't compare too well, given that most new models have lane assist, active guidance, parking, etc.
Old 01-18-10, 09:41 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its a taste issue. The thred starter for the most part feels the LS430 doesnt match up. I respect tht. I think it does but, again its a matter of taste and not right and wrong. I dont like the exterior of the LS460 or the new Gs's!!! I think the LS430 is a reliable car and thats why I own it instead of a S-Class430/500/550 or and Audi 8 or Jag or BMW 7 series. Its a taste thing and not so much about technology because tech wise we always add new wrinkles these days month by month. Same goes for cellphones. I just got a new blackberry because the one I have now feel in the toilet out of my pocket. When I wanted the same one that I just damaged they didnt make it anymore(2 years old blackberry) and it wasnt old. I feel why you asked the question it makes for good convo buddy! L.G.N.M
Old 01-18-10, 09:43 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Slvr Surfr, owe you an apology buddy. You did explain the questin better later in the thread. My bad, you did clear it up. I feel you buddy!!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-19-10, 05:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
... honestly i still think the ls430 is one of the best built cars in terms of quality, fit and finish. it's just so solid, smooth, and soft.
i agree most with this statement above ^ ^ ^.

i think in terms of looks it does appear a little dated but i like that old school boxy niche that japan seems to still try to produce, the 04-06 seems to be one of the last of this dying breed (maybe the crown is the last ¿¿¿).

and in amenities my 05 UL seems to have a ton of gadgets that some newer lesser equipped models still don't have i would think the 04-06 ls430 is better than the newer es's. however i don't think the ls430 is very performance oriented. i don't believe it ever claimed to be, i could be wrong on this too.
Old 01-19-10, 05:54 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I would never even consider the current "class below", in comparison to my LS.
Old 01-19-10, 06:28 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I would never even consider the current "class below", in comparison to my LS.
True. There is a LOT more to a car than the on-paper list of what gimicks and gizmos it has. IMO, anyone who thinks the current GS, RL, M45, whatever, whatever is in the league with the LS430 probably hasn't driven those cars, particularly back-to-back with the LS430. I recently had a 2010 GS350 as a loaner for about 5 hours. It LITERALLY feels like much more of a Honda Accord competitor than an LS430 competitor. And the GS is similar to other things in its class, perhaps slightly better than almost all except perhaps the 5-series and E (based upon my own behind-the-wheel time in most of them).
Old 01-19-10, 12:02 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usermel
Oh Slvr Surfr, owe you an apology buddy. You did explain the questin better later in the thread. My bad, you did clear it up. I feel you buddy!!! L.G.N.M
Hey its cool. Sometimes your point gets accross the second time around. Anyway, i think when comparing used cars to new ones the main point,IMO, capability and everyday usage. Performance would not be point of comparison because it wouldn't be fair to compare a new engine to a used one. How well the eletronics functions, ride comfortability, maintainance, and overall condition would be comparison points. Thats just IMO.

Quick Reply: How do you rate the 430 now?