ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   05 UL or 05 ML ?? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/471846-05-ul-or-05-ml.html)

snakehead 12-26-09 01:01 AM

05 UL or 05 ML ??

I am going to by an LS430 , My question do i go with cypress pearl 05 UL 46,000mi clean in side and out , No warranty $26K or 05 ML Black 60,000 with warranty $27K , These are dealers , What would you do ?

caddyowner 12-26-09 04:34 AM

I would keep looking. If I wanted a UL, I would want a warranty. If I found a car with a warranty, I'd want lower miles because only 40K remaining of a CPO warranty wouldn't last even 2 years with my annual mileage. Oh, and a Lexus CPO warranty is the only warranty I'd consider to have any true value.

I prefer a darker interior, rather than the Ecru that would be in a cypress UL. (My current MKZ has very light cashmere leather and shows dirt too easily.) Aside from that, though I kinda like cypress pearl, my wife would earn a new nickname if I brought home a green car - Xanthippe.

AlexusAnja 12-26-09 05:20 AM

Only choices

Originally Posted by snakehead (Post 5098359)
I am going to by an LS430 , My question do i go with cypress pearl 05 UL 46,000mi clean in side and out , No warranty $26K or 05 ML Black 60,000 with warranty $27K , These are dealers , What would you do ?

If these are the two you're thinking of purchasing, and you're not looking any further, then I would take the UL with lower miles. The Lexus base powertrain warranty is 6/70K, so on the Ultra you have a good 34K left or until 2011 and really, all you worry about is that the powertrain fails and honestly, have never heard of anyone having failed engine or transmission on this forum before 100K anyway.

The ML is just too plain in my opinion for an LS. Yes, it's got the "modern" luxuries of NAV and heated seats, but which midsize vanilla sedan nowadays doesn't have NAV as option?

With the UL, not many cars even now have air suspension, massaging seats, sidesunshades, "refrigerator box", etc.?

As for price, $26K for the UL ain't bad, but I'd still try to cut it down to say $25K or $24K OTD.

tromly 12-26-09 06:44 AM

The UL is the way to go, try 24,500, if not tell them you'll take it , but you want it to be a CPO for 26k. Good Luck

jayclapp 12-26-09 08:28 AM

I would think that if the dealer wouldn't CPO the car that there might be something seriously wrong with it.

snakehead 12-26-09 10:31 AM

Thank you for the info , I wanted Black but lower miles and UL is the way to go, Thanks

AlexusAnja 12-26-09 07:43 PM

Good point

Originally Posted by jayclapp (Post 5098526)
I would think that if the dealer wouldn't CPO the car that there might be something seriously wrong with it.

Good point there, but I don't know if OP meant dealer as in Lexus or just a dealer of used vehicles. Also, he/she said had warranty, not CPO. If this is Lexus and the UL was not CPO'd, then yeah, I would question the true "good condition" of the vehicle. Could be it's past 2nd owner, or it's been in accident. Might need a closer look at.

snakehead 12-26-09 08:22 PM

The ML is a certified lexus pre owned , and the UL is from a caddilac dealer no warranty as is.

AlexusAnja 12-27-09 06:38 PM

Not same deal...

Originally Posted by snakehead (Post 5099457)
The ML is a certified lexus pre owned , and the UL is from a caddilac dealer no warranty as is.

Okay, so we're not talking Lexus dealership for both. In that case, the UL might very well be in top shape as just a trade-in for a Caddy. I would make sure the record is clean on the UL and try to get the service history if possible. You can get the VIN from both vehicles and go to Lexus.com and get the service history (if they were done at Lexus' dealers).

All else being the same, I still favor the UL.