LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smart Key no longer works..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 08:21 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smart Key no longer works..

My smart keys no longer work, it was working fine last week but all of the sudden it just stop working. anyone here has this problem? Now I have to pull out the key to open door and put the key in to start the car. I replace the battery about a month ago so it wasn't the battery. its a 04 LS430.
Old 10-06-09, 09:04 AM
dan812
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start by replacing the battery again just to be 100% sure thats not the problem. If it still does not work you will most likely need a new remote - - do you have the second remote?

I just had my spare remote die and not work after replacing the battery and I found directions to reprogram the remote as long as one was working correctly. I can post the directions if you would like.
Old 10-06-09, 09:46 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

I thought it was the remote but both of my keys don't work even the spare key.. I wonder if anyone has the same problems here...
Old 10-06-09, 10:41 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Well I would also check the smart key switch under the dash. It's been a while since i've had to turn mine off (which your suppose to do when the car will be left unrun for more then a week or so). You'll need to check your user manual or do a search to find out how.

That would be the first thing I would check. If you replaced the battery, no sense in spending another $5 to buy a second one.
Old 10-06-09, 11:24 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

You most likely turned off the smartkey function. If you are seating in the drivers seat, the button is about where your right knee is.
Old 10-06-09, 11:36 AM
dan812
Rookie

you will only see the **** if you put your head by the carpet and look up -- its right next to the tire pressure reset switch. I believe you only have to push the button to turn it on/off, and then the smartkey/ararm light to the left of the dashboard should flash. You may need to have the remotes reprogrammed otherwise
Old 10-06-09, 09:31 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

you are right I check the smart key button under the dash for some reason it was turn off. Now all the keys works fine. Thanks!
Old 10-07-09, 10:35 AM
lexus girl
Driver School Candidate

Default Smart Key no longer works

I'm new to the forum--sought you out because my smart key is only working intermittently. It's the one with the emergency key, which I've had to use twice, BUT this morning it didn't work either and I had to go get my spare smart key. Do you think this is a key problem or a car problem?
Old 10-07-09, 11:29 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people always say to check the key fob battery first, so i'll just pass this along. my key worked for the ignition but not for lock (via black button on door handle) or unlock (via sensor strip inside door handle) and it turned out one of the doors wasn't registered as closed all the way somehow... also the button down by the drivers side floor under the dash but i thought this only worked for the ignition not the keyless stuff too??? hmm...
Old 10-07-09, 03:54 PM
Vagabond
Driver School Candidate

I have an 04 but with no button to turn the Smart Key off with.... the under dash one!
Old 10-07-09, 06:49 PM
sarkleshark
Driver School Candidate

How do you change the smart key battery?
Old 10-07-09, 07:12 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus girl
It's the one with the emergency key, which I've had to use twice, BUT this morning it didn't work either and I had to go get my spare smart key. Do you think this is a key problem or a car problem?
You've had to use your KEY twice, or the EMERGENCY button on the key? Either scenario is weird!?

Regardless the answer, I'm thinking it's the battery in your smart key.

It takes a CR2032 lithium battery which you can pick up at a Radio Shack...maybe like $7 for a 2-pack? I'd replace the battery in BOTH keys, personally...but I'm weird like that.

Originally Posted by sarkleshark
How do you change the smart key battery?
Here are the instructions. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-battery.html

Btw...SEARCH is a great tool on this website. Also the STICKY-FAQ is amazing!

ALSO--Make note of the battery's orientation as you take it out! I think it fits either way, but obviously will work only the correct way!
Old 10-07-09, 07:56 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vagabond
I have an 04 but with no button to turn the Smart Key off with.... the under dash one!
If you have the smartkey system, the control panel MUST be there. You have to stick your head under your dashboard on the driver side to see it. Its not in the same place the owner's manual claims (visible from the driver's seat). Note that this panel also has controls for the TPMS system and the lock confirmation tone.
Old 11-09-09, 10:03 AM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

Smile

i just called lexus because my smart key also stopped working, they couldnt help me with anything and said i would have to bring the car in for $175 to figure it out

what a ****ing *******, the button must have been pressed because once i pressed it everything starting working again!

THANK YOU CLUB LEXUS!!!

Old 11-09-09, 10:22 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

sojah - the button is an on/off switch for the smart key system. So i'd assume (with out any testing) that is controls entry, puddle lamps, keyless trunk entry, etc. Anything related to the smart key system. It would probably disable the feature that prevents you from locking your keys in the car or it's trunk, but havn't tested it to see.

lexus girl - your issue sounds like a battery problem. Since it works sometimes, but not other. If replacing the battery doesn't help then it is most likely the key itself. This is assuming your spare smart key works with no problems.

Vagabond- you do have a switch under the dash. Your smart key system continually is looking for the key. If you were to leave the car undriven for several weeks, this would kill the battery. If you are sitting in your drivers seat, reach down towards your right shin. The button is facing downward toward the carpeting. It's the big fat one that pushes in and out (not the one that spins)

Quick Reply: Smart Key no longer works..