LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Do I buy a 2004 LS430 UL with 104k ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 09:28 AM
dan812
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I buy a 2004 LS430 UL with 104k ????

I am looking to replace my 98 Cadillac Seville (with only 64k) for a 2004 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury that has 104k. I can buy the 430 for $15,700 and it is black/black with service done at the dealer although I do not have the receipts yet.
I was wondering the overall opinion of the car and the "normal" issues I can expect to go wrong. Any help and advice is appreciated.
Old 09-18-09, 10:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome aboard

If services you mean the major service at the 90/100 recommendation: timing belt, water pump.... are done, then you are golden. That should run anywhere in the $1500 or so at the dealer.

The other thing to worry about is the air suspension. If it hasn't been replaced before, then it's bound to fail. Not trying to scare you but to keep that in mind.

Pricewise, I would try to go a little lower.
Other than that it should last another 100k and more easily.
Regardless, I would still take this lexus over the cadillac.
Old 09-18-09, 11:40 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why do people swear that these air susp setups will fail... the only mention of them failing is on this board and mostly by people who have modified them, i.e. big wheels, and controllers.... the number of failed air setups is like 1%.

i am a firm believe that you get what you pay for. definitely get it checked out (inspected) by a lex dealership and make sure like gs3tek said that the big 90k service was done properly.

i would hope to sell mines for closer to 18k if it had that many miles and mines is an 05 UL...

if it gets a clean bill of health that is a steal at that price. just make sure you take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 09-18-09, 11:59 AM
dan812
Rookie

I manage a repair shop (for the time being) so the 90k service will not be so painful. I can buy all the parts at cost and pay my mechanics to do the work. The car looks great
and has been maintained by Lexus. I know the VSC/engine light are on which I need to check into. I know the reset procedure and will check it out before buying the car. I know these cars are great and very reliable. Just want to make sure I know what I am getting into before I buy it
Old 09-18-09, 03:01 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would keep looking for a lower mileage auto sir! If miles are not a concern go for it. If the car was taken care of then things should be ok! All The Best! L.G.N.M
Old 09-18-09, 07:55 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

If all service was done by lexus ask for the records on the car.
Old 09-21-09, 06:43 AM
dan812
Rookie

so I negotiated down to $14,500 for this 04 UL with 104k and I thinks its a very good price, but still debating. Looking to see what problems people have aside from regular maintenance. I only do about 8k miles per year.
Also, is it worth getting rid of my 98 Seville which has no problems? Looking at about $10k price difference
Old 09-21-09, 08:06 AM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been down your road ... I've owned 4 STS', 1 LS400, and a 2004 LS430CL.

The LS is simply in a different league as far as luxury, quietness, smoothness, and
refinement. You will have years of enjoyment with Lexus' flagship.

I read your same query over at Caddyinfo.com, and didnt respond. Too many negative
posters calling the LS "souless", even though it outperforms the same vintage SLS/STS.

I would consider the upgrade based on the enjoyment of ownership provided by the LS430. However, the LS won't necessarily cost less to own. The powertrain is pretty much problem free, but other items will certainly break down due to age and mileage, just like with your SLS.
My power folding mirror started going haywire ... the part alone was well over $700 CDN, plus labour.
My headlight height sensor went, causing the annoying AFS flashing light issue.
The part was about $550, plus labour. Both of these common issues occured at
70,000 miles. I currently have 2 parking assist sensors out ... which I could care less about.
To reiterate, I would buy another LS430 for the superb ride that it provides ... but there is no guarantee that the LS will cost less to own than your SLS.
That being said, I would feel pretty comfortable driving a higher mileage LS with full Lexus service history. Like you, I'm a low mileage driver, so a well maintained LS doesn't scare me.
Good luck in your search.
Old 09-22-09, 03:57 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

have u found any more in the dc area, ive been looking for about 2 months, good luck, but if u dont take it pass me the info lol
Old 09-22-09, 12:52 PM
dan812
Rookie

I have the seller bringing the car to my mechanic later this week - we will see what they say. I ran a Carfax and it came back clean with mention of service about every 12-15k at the dealership. I got him down to $14,500
and think its a good deal - this car is extremely clean in/out. I hope it checks out well......
Old 09-22-09, 01:21 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan812
so I negotiated down to $14,500 for this 04 UL with 104k and I thinks its a very good price, but still debating. Looking to see what problems people have aside from regular maintenance. I only do about 8k miles per year.
Also, is it worth getting rid of my 98 Seville which has no problems? Looking at about $10k price difference
I have a 2004 Modern Luxury LS430, and on my drive home today it will hit 120k on the odometer. I did do the timing belt and water pump @ 100k though, but I wouldn't sell it to anyone for $14,500. You need at least 18k to get my pretty little car off of me! Even then I'd have to think about it. I mean, with new brakes and low miles on the tires with the service done it'll go probably another 50k without any major service. What else can I buy for $18k with this level of sophistication and class? A two year old Pontiac?

$14,500 for 04 Ultra seems like a great deal if the car has all the service records!
Old 09-22-09, 04:17 PM
hrp
Rookie

Default Is there not an on-line

Is there not an on-line Lexus link where the owner (and I'm not sure who else) can look up the service records on the car if the servicing was done at a Lexus dealer???
Old 09-22-09, 07:59 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If service means oil changes about every 12-15k I would pass on this one. Even if it was done at the dealership, ask for other receipts for oil chages if they where done or walk. JMO
Old 09-23-09, 03:54 AM
dan812
Rookie

SO NOW I HAVE A DILEMMA....... The Lexus checked out great on Carfax and even indicates when and where it was serviced and comes with service records. They did more service than the 12k I posted before, just not at Lexus. Car is nearly spotless. So I am going to end up buying the Lexus. I also negotiated down another $500 so now I'm buying the car at $14,000 and its the UL.
The problem comes in regarding the Caddy. I bought it 2 years ago and did all the service then (tune-up, belts, hoses, tires, brakes, suspension, all flushes)So now that I know the car is great mechanically I see they are basically worthless when you try to sell them. It makes me not want to sell it and have a winter Caddy and summer Lexus? How can I justify getting rid of this car for so little - doesnt make sense to me.
BTW - I called RayCatena Lexus who worked on the car and they would not give me any service history - they said "privacy laws" the customer has to give them to me. Found that strange.
Old 09-23-09, 09:02 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

nah man with the vin number the lex dealership should be able to give you the service history,,, or you can get at it from the lex homepage too i believe.

Quick Reply: Do I buy a 2004 LS430 UL with 104k ????