LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mirrors no longer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 11:40 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish Al Gore had invented the interwebz back when I was driving Alfa's...
Old 10-14-11, 09:37 AM
white_lx
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone. Another set of corroded contacts fixed in 10 minutes. Great info. ('02 LS)
Old 10-29-11, 02:29 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

My switch was intermittent over the past year, causing the driver-side mirror adjustment to be finicky, and the auto-tilt-down would be equally finicky when the switch was set to driver-side. Passenger side never had a problem and auto-tilt-down worked fine in that position.

I had read this thread a long time ago but didn't feel like fixing it until today. Used Q-Tips soaked with MAF sensor cleaner, and scrubbed the 4 metal contact buttons on the "gasket" and the corresponding 4 on the circuit board. I used my finger to redistribute the old dielectric grease on the center contacts and did not apply any new grease. Tightened the 2 screws down evenly on both sides and as tight as I felt possible without breaking the plastic.

Works fine, ziptie fix not needed so far. Thanks to Ducati11, Yaff, and new2lexus2 for the informative posts.
Old 10-30-11, 09:07 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the same to mine yesterday. Took about 15 minutes. They now work like new. Great thread!
Old 11-22-11, 06:01 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another satisfied forum reader here. Had the same problem, read this thread, took the module off and cleaned the contacts, put it back together and voila!! It works and I saved myself bout $300. Thanks to everyone who contributed here.
I might mention that the service writer did once tell me that since I always have my mirrors fold back that it would probably lengthen the life of the motors as it is one of those "use it or lose it" cases. I think the same is true for the using the mirror adjustment too. The more you use it, the better it performs.
Old 02-17-12, 01:10 PM
jimmyalg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ls430

Thank you! It is hard to believe this was the problem. The pictures and following explanation were great. I did pull the switch group out using the molding, but found that you can go beyond that and grab the solid frame and pull. I will make a donation to our local food bank in gratitude for Club Lexus.
Old 04-16-12, 06:03 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive been having the same problem as everyone else as usual but my particular scenario differed slightly. I did remove the switch a while back because my pass side mirror was giving me problems. Although there was no signs of corrosion, i cleaned the contacts anyway. It was good for a while until the drivers side started to misbehave. What gives??? Theres no way the contacts could've went bad so soon after that. I pulled out my circuit tester to diagnose the system only to find the switch working as it should be. Next step! On to inside the door and traced power/signal all the way up the actual contacts on the back of the adjustment motor itself. Checked the male connector to make sure there is no corrosion. None. Just so you know, my mirror could adjust side to side but not up and down. Started to think my (up/down) motor is shot because a power test at the unplugged contacts yielded motor control power good. Right before i conceded defeat i slightly bent the male connectors on the plug somewhat outward to try and maybe make a connection on the inside once plugged back in. VOILA! It worked! Squirted a lil oil on the moving parts of the motor, reassembled, and Its been working good since Sat eve now. Not sure how long this fix will last but sure does feel good to have full control of my drivers mirror again.Especially when im used to the mirror tiling when put in reverse. Hope this helps some one later!
Old 06-04-12, 12:36 PM
white430s
Driver School Candidate

Default Mirror Issue

My dealer is scheduled to replace the switch under the certified warranty on my 06 LS 430 next week. When I purchaed the car in 2009, they replaced the acutator. That did not solve he problem. The car could adjust the mirrors when it recognized my key upon entry but I could not adjust the mirror (right side) manually. Good thing it's just a contact / continuity issue for down the road.
Old 06-06-12, 02:47 PM
newsbillt
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thank you - thank you

Originally Posted by Ducati11
I have an 02 Ultra lux that had the same exact problem. All you have to do is pop off the mirror control panel and clean the contacts (and be sure all of the pins are pushed into the connector). The panel is held on with clips, just grab one of the lips and pull towards you. Then depress the tab that holds the connector in place and pull off the connector (the one behind the adjustment switch). Reassemble and you're ready to go (make sure the key is on or it won't adjust.....). Hope the pictures uploaded.....
I think you probably just saved me $450.
Old 08-28-12, 06:27 AM
gwjones9
Driver School Candidate

Great thread. I just removed my switch and cleaned it last week. My mirrors are functioning like they were new. I love saving money.
Old 09-01-12, 07:33 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the single quickest and best money-saver tip on this particular forum. Just did this a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I rubbed off all the grease in the process, but in either case, it now works. I didn't have electrical parts cleaner handy so I just used acetone on a q-tip.

Curiously, I was a little worried when I cracked the switch open because there wasn't really a hint of corrosion, oxidation or black residue anywhere on the contacts. I cleaned the pad side and the circuit board side anyway, as well as the switch area and I guess that was enough.
Old 09-08-12, 08:43 AM
musicman1
Driver School Candidate

I just cleaned mine and it fixed a long-time intermittant issue with mirror adjustment. That grease should be cleaned off and replaced with new dialectric grease available at any Radio Shack or auto parts store.. The best part of this is keeping the stealership from taking my money for almost nothing. They must hate these forums.... except when they use forums themselves.
Old 09-10-12, 05:24 PM
tcjeffri
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont get on here much...its crazy how many people have used this tip. Glad to have been able to help along with a few of the other contributors (Yaff, etc)...I have sold my Lexus, but will always have a special place in my heart for her
Old 09-22-12, 06:44 PM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

Great stuff...great project for early morning ;-)
Old 10-15-12, 06:38 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

Default Switch fell apart

An update to my post above.... I took everything apart per this thread, but then all of a sudden I had a pile of pieces and freaked out...see photo. Very easy to put back together, but be careful and use tweezers or small needle nose. The white plastic "thingies" go in only one way. Also, I did not have any grease to use, and few people mention it...is it vital? Finally, the right side mirror does not move vertically, so I have to take it apart :-/
Attached Thumbnails Mirrors no longer adjust-switch.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mirrors no longer adjust