LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My baby had an accident :'(

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 03:50 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My baby had an accident :'(

On August 31, 2009 at 8 pm the big tragedy had happened.

My wife was driving our 2001 LS430 UL with her Mom. She wanted to turn left and waiting the upcoming car finish so she can turn left. While she was tuning the left light signal and waiting, a woman was driving 2007 Pontiac G6 with 65 MPH hit her from the back without applying any break!!!! The ambulance came and took my wife and her Mom to ER. ANYWAY, thanks to God there are all fine.

Back to my LS430.. the guy who twoed the cars is the best friend to one of coles friends. He told me that both cars should be totaled and there is no way the insurance company going fix your car because it will cost way to much $$.

Next day, I found that the women who hit our LS her insurance was canceled since June because of payment not received his that month. However, Thanks to God then AAA auto insurance. I have uninsured coverage vehicle. So, they will fix or totaled the car and give me the $$$. SO, I AM SAVED

The BIG question is,,,,,
How do they decide if the car is totaled or not?
If they say we will fix the car, where they are going to fix it?
If they say the car is totaled, how much they are going to pay me?

info about my car:
2001 LS430 Ultra package
has 92426 mile
excellent condition, super clean, never been in accident.

I am really nervous.
Attached Thumbnails My baby had an accident :'(-1..jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-2...jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-3.jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-4.jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-5.jpg  

Old 09-02-09, 03:54 PM
bassil2022
Driver

continue with the pics
Attached Thumbnails My baby had an accident :'(-6.jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-7.jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-8.jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-9.jpg   My baby had an accident :'(-10.jpg  

Old 09-02-09, 03:57 PM
bassil2022
Driver

last picture

any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails My baby had an accident :'(-11.jpg  
Old 09-02-09, 04:11 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Honestly by the looks of that car it appears to have frame damage. Once you have frame damage the car is never the same again. I personally would rather a total claim and get my money before getting it fixed. I guess the insurance company is going to give you around the kbb value of the car if they indeed claim the car to be a total loss.
Old 09-02-09, 04:11 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

the important thing is that all your wife and your mother are ok!!
Old 09-02-09, 04:33 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Originally Posted by gs4bkny
Honestly by the looks of that car it appears to have frame damage. Once you have frame damage the car is never the same again. I personally would rather a total claim and get my money before getting it fixed. I guess the insurance company is going to give you around the kbb value of the car if they indeed claim the car to be a total loss.
Personally, yes I want it to be totaled, I don't want it to be fixed.
I hope they give what kbb value my car or NADA or Edmunds they all give a good value of my car.
Old 09-02-09, 04:40 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

good that your family is ok. the ls doesnt look like it has been hit at 65 mph. what do you think you'll buy after you recieve your insurance money
Old 09-02-09, 04:46 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch! hope everyone is ok............sorry to hear about this
Old 09-02-09, 05:22 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
good that your family is ok. the ls doesnt look like it has been hit at 65 mph. what do you think you'll buy after you recieve your insurance money
defiantly LS430, but 2004 - 2006. Of course if they pay me a good money
Old 09-02-09, 05:28 PM
bassil2022
Driver

I just received a call from the twoing guy. He told me that a guy came and took pictures of my car, and he said this is a good proof that the LS is a safty car like Volvo and other companies, and he is going to give it to Lexus or at the newspaper or somewhere else.
Old 09-02-09, 06:21 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Pontiac looks like it hit going 65MPH... The LS held up like a tank compared to the Pontiac... glad everybody is OK.
Old 09-02-09, 06:21 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm glad your fam was okay and hate it for you man. I have to say the way the Pontiac looks you would think your car would look just as bad or worse but Lexus designed the LS430 to absorb accident impact energy the right way.

I think your car will be totaled so don't sweat it.
Old 09-02-09, 06:54 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Total Loss

Originally Posted by bassil2022

The BIG question is,,,,,
How do they decide if the car is totaled or not?
If they say we will fix the car, where they are going to fix it?
If they say the car is totaled, how much they are going to pay me?

info about my car:
2001 LS430 Ultra package
has 92426 mile
excellent condition, super clean, never been in accident.

I am really nervous.
I've only been through one total loss (my dad it, not me) and knock on wood, one accident thus far that required repair.

Total loss is when the cost of repair will exceed the cost of vehicle, minus some amount that I don't know how they determine. So, if your LS costs $10K currently, and it would cost over $15K to fix, it's going to be totalled.

If they say fix, you can fix at either their authorized shop, or at your own shop, all depends on your insurance company. The company we had, we were given an estimate of how much to repair (i.e. $5K) with parts needed. You then take that quote and go around various shops you choose and see if any can fix those items at that estimate. If they can, then you do it there and the insurance check goes to that shop. If they can do for less, then better. If they take the car apart during repair and then find out say "oh the gas tank is broken" but the estimate did not list that, they can get authorization from insurance company for addition money not on estimate.

Value of vehicle is pretty much KBB for "average" condition. No vehicle is rated as "mint" no matter how well you've taken care of it. So, see what KBB has listed for your vehicle and mileage and that's probably what you'll get, maybe a few hundred dollars more, but don't expect "top dollar" for it.

Anyway, glad to hear everyone in car was okay though.
Old 09-02-09, 07:50 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I've only been through one total loss (my dad it, not me) and knock on wood, one accident thus far that required repair.

Total loss is when the cost of repair will exceed the cost of vehicle, minus some amount that I don't know how they determine. So, if your LS costs $10K currently, and it would cost over $15K to fix, it's going to be totalled.

If they say fix, you can fix at either their authorized shop, or at your own shop, all depends on your insurance company. The company we had, we were given an estimate of how much to repair (i.e. $5K) with parts needed. You then take that quote and go around various shops you choose and see if any can fix those items at that estimate. If they can, then you do it there and the insurance check goes to that shop. If they can do for less, then better. If they take the car apart during repair and then find out say "oh the gas tank is broken" but the estimate did not list that, they can get authorization from insurance company for addition money not on estimate.

Value of vehicle is pretty much KBB for "average" condition. No vehicle is rated as "mint" no matter how well you've taken care of it. So, see what KBB has listed for your vehicle and mileage and that's probably what you'll get, maybe a few hundred dollars more, but don't expect "top dollar" for it.

Anyway, glad to hear everyone in car was okay though.

how much do you think the cost of repairing this damage? how about if I want them to fix it at Lexus dealer NOT ANY SHOP!!

about KBB, they only give one choice for the value of my car which is "Excellent $19,610" there is no "average" condition. !!
Old 09-02-09, 08:00 PM
bassil2022
Driver

OK,, if I choose private party value it gives me this

Excellent $17,210
Good $16,360
Fair $15,260

but, if I choose Suggested Retail Value, it give me only one choice "Excellent $19,610"

Quick Reply: My baby had an accident :'(