LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Swapping out cut key in remote fob '01

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 08:53 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swapping out cut key in remote fob '01

One of my remote key fobs was unreliable in locking and unlocking, so I purchased a new remote which comes with an uncut key. As my old key worked fine, I swapped the blank key for my old one and programmed the new remote. It locked and unlocked the doors just fine, but the engine would not start with that key.

Next, I put the old remote transmitter back in and programmed that remote. The car starts and doors lock and unlock just fine. So I am visiting an auto lock and key shop tomorrow and have them cut the blank key, so I can try out the new remote key fob. If that works, I will have three working keys, two old and one new.

Question: Are the remote transmitters matched with the keys?

Old 04-30-09, 08:59 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcpeters

One of my remote key fobs was unreliable in locking and unlocking, so I purchased a new remote which comes with an uncut key. As my old key worked fine, I swapped the blank key for my old one and programmed the new remote. It locked and unlocked the doors just fine, but the engine would not start with that key.

Next, I put the old remote transmitter back in and programmed that remote. The car starts and doors lock and unlock just fine. So I am visiting an auto lock and key shop tomorrow and have them cut the blank key, so I can try out the new remote key fob. If that works, I will have three working keys, two old and one new.

Question: Are the remote transmitters matched with the keys?

after you have the new key cut you can program it to your car, aks key cuter to do it for U or give U the info sheet to do it, if not i still have it, i did it couple year ago
Old 05-01-09, 01:07 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Question Remote key programming problem, car won't start

I had my key cut and I asked the locksmith about swapping remote transmitters. He did not know about any pairing between the remote transmitter and the resistor in the key.

Anyway, after following the programming instructions that were provided by the Ebay seller "remote supermarket", the new remote locks and unlocks the doors but will not start the car. I have written to the remote seller, but I doubt if they will say much more than follow the instructions carefully.

Anyone else ever have a problem with a new remote key that does not allow the car to start? Something about the theft deterent system that needs to be covered in the key programming?

Old 05-01-09, 02:08 PM
1conbaba
Rookie

go here my friend you need to program that new key to the ignition transponder receptor! the new keyfob has a little chip in it and your car doesn't recognize it yet, will need your working key to do this, read this post there is a note of instruction.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ed-advice.html

Last edited by 1conbaba; 05-01-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-28-11, 12:42 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does this key have an HYQ12BBK designation? In other words are you sure you have the right key? This procedure should be no different than changing a dead battery in the key if all things are equal.
Old 05-28-11, 10:58 PM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading your post it seems all your problems are with you new key.

I can think of two possibilities.

1. IIRC there is a limit to how many keys can be programmed into the system. So ther may be too many masters already programmed to the ECU and it won't accept another till you delete a code. The instructions in the link posted previously tell you how to delete the extra keys leaving you with only one programmed. You can then program the new ones.

2. As mentioned before there is a problem with your new key and it can't be programmed.

One final possibility is your not completing the sequence for programming exactly. It took me a bunch of tries before I got it right when I reprogrammed my new key.
Old 07-06-11, 02:58 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FDIC code HYQ12BBK worked for my 2001. Battery is CR1616
Still unclear how to erase codes?