LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission gear shifting lag

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 10:01 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission gear shifting lag

I noticed that when shifting from Drive to Reverse or vice versa, that there's a slight lag; more so than general cars (e.g., camry, corolla). Is it due to the 6sp sealed transmission? I've only noticed this lag time in some Mercedes.

Besides, that I haven't felt any problems with my 2004 LS430 (built 9/2003). I'm probably going to give Lexus a call to make sure I'm not on the special tranny list. I wonder if I could ask to have the transmission replaced since its in the date range of the recall.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-09, 11:43 AM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus today and found that it was already swapped in 2004. Wheew.
Old 02-09-09, 06:04 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're talking about the transmission recall where it doesn't engage into park correctly? I had called for my 2004 and they also said it was only "early edition" 2004 that were affected and mine was not part of recall... hem...

Anyway, I don't have the lag, so not sure if what you're experiencing is normal or not.
Old 02-09-09, 08:16 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the parking problem in the transmission. Mine was one of the earlier 2004. Made in 9/03.
Old 02-10-09, 10:45 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by warp10
I noticed that when shifting from Drive to Reverse or vice versa, that there's a slight lag; more so than general cars (e.g., camry, corolla). Is it due to the 6sp sealed transmission? I've only noticed this lag time in some Mercedes.

Thanks.
I know what you are talking about and niotice it too. I really notice it when backing up a car is coming up behind you, (you shift quickly to get a move on) and you shilft into D there is a delay like it looking for drive or something. Soon as the back up camera gode out it is in gear, that is how i know to hit the gas. My car is at the dealer now for oil change as well as some other CPO stuff along with the tramission lag coming out of reverse. I will post back and let you know what the deal is, I know the tranny is computer control, so i'm thnking it may need a re-flash...who knows.
Old 02-10-09, 02:49 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

Tee: Duh, forgot that the LS430 has a sophisticated electronically controlled tranmission vs the "regular" cars I've been driving with linkages. I think that explains it, since I felt the same symptom with some newer Mercedes. Thanks.
Old 02-10-09, 03:26 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Okay Duh on my part as well.

The tech said that he compared it mine to 2 LS an 05 & 06 CPO's, my 04 was the same so it is shifting normal. I'm good with their findings, (better safe than sorry) next they placed an order for 2 new mirrors b/c the driver side folds in slower than the passenger, the pasenger mirror is slower to tilt down than the driver side. Cool i want anything that needs replacing under CPO done before it is over. BTW Dayum--- these things are not cheap $827.35 before taxes for some mirrors!!
Old 02-10-09, 04:57 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

Tee: Thanks for the confirmation. It's always good to have the piece of mind knowing that it's the same with another car. Hopefully I'll get used to the lag time and not need to get the heck out of dodge in any situation =)
Old 02-10-09, 05:28 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Computer... self destruct...

Originally Posted by Tee
I know what you are talking about and niotice it too. I really notice it when backing up a car is coming up behind you, (you shift quickly to get a move on) and you shilft into D there is a delay like it looking for drive or something. Soon as the back up camera gode out it is in gear, that is how i know to hit the gas. My car is at the dealer now for oil change as well as some other CPO stuff along with the tramission lag coming out of reverse. I will post back and let you know what the deal is, I know the tranny is computer control, so i'm thnking it may need a re-flash...who knows.
Wait, so the transmission is not linked mechanically to the shifter either? So the driver of the LS is actually not linked to the powertrain... there is "drive by wire" and the transmission is electronic controlled. Wow, kind of scary actually. What sort of "safety" backup is there to prevent the accelerator from going crazy and the transmission from shifting to reverse while in "D" and gonig 80 mph? Scary....
Old 02-10-09, 05:36 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

We must all have faith in Lexolgy
Old 09-03-10, 10:13 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think electronic shifters have been around for a while now, so the slight lag from "R" to "D"... is it the consensus that this is a fairly normal behavior for our '04 to '06s?

Specifically, I am wondering if the low speed shift TSB corrects or has anything to do with this as I am taking the car in for a transmission fluid service sometime within the next few weeks and would like to have them do the TSB (unless they have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask) at the same time to save on shop time.
Old 09-05-10, 06:45 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Delay

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
... is it the consensus that this is a fairly normal behavior for our '04 to '06s?

Specifically, I am wondering if the low speed shift TSB corrects or has anything to do with this as I am taking the car in for a transmission fluid service sometime within the next few weeks and would like to have them do the TSB (unless they have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask) at the same time to save on shop time.
No, I would not say consensus. Perhaps it happens on a majority of the cars, but my '04 shifts fine through the range.

I had the TSB done and it did not make it worse. If you have the delay, I don't know if it will make it better, but it surely made low speed accelerating better. I used to have big issues with the lag when going to turn right not from a full stop. So, when I slow down to about 10 mph, and then jam the gas to start up again... <boop boop boop> nothing...

Now, picks right up.
Old 09-05-10, 08:02 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

This post is probably a good reason for those looking for a used 2004-2006 LS430, to try to avoid the early production 04s.
Old 09-05-10, 09:13 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
This post is probably a good reason for those looking for a used 2004-2006 LS430, to try to avoid the early production 04s.
I would agree with that, except for the post above where the '04 was compared to an '05 and '06 that had the same amount of time lag. Of course that could likely be the technician blowing smoke up the customer's a$$, but its such a SLIGHTLY longer delay I have to wonder if most people would even notice it.
Old 09-05-10, 09:16 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
No, I would not say consensus. Perhaps it happens on a majority of the cars, but my '04 shifts fine through the range.

I had the TSB done and it did not make it worse. If you have the delay, I don't know if it will make it better, but it surely made low speed accelerating better. I used to have big issues with the lag when going to turn right not from a full stop. So, when I slow down to about 10 mph, and then jam the gas to start up again... <boop boop boop> nothing...

Now, picks right up.
Any chance you could point me to this TSB? I'd like to make sure that, if my car needs it, it has already been applied and if not have it done . . .

Thanks,

Andrew

Quick Reply: Transmission gear shifting lag