LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I've been violated

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 10:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, i had no idea about the workings of the hybrid cars. i don't actually think i've ever driven one,,, yet.. but i do thank you for getting me up speed on this. so what about just holding down the brake and gas (hahahaa , electric hybrid) peddle down at the same time. does it have enough torque to get the tires loose.??
Old 01-26-09, 10:27 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
I do notice that the engine will come on when the car is cold until it warms up. Once warmed up, the engine does definitely turn itself off as much as it can and tries to use electric power. When I cruise on a flat road, its somewhat satisfying to see I can go about 38mph in pure electric mode and the car is showing the 99mpg. As long as I don't gun it, it stays this way for as long as it has power. I was getting 48mpg in the beginning when I was gentle with it, now driving a bit more aggressive, I still get 42mpg. Double of what I'm getting on my LS.
I am starting to become a big fan of Toyota hybrid, I mean the reasons we drive a LS is because we want the extreme quietness and smoothness, and guess what, a Hybrid in EV mode smoke the quietness and smoothness of our LS's engine! Electric power is the ultimate luxury car! RollsRoyce agreed and is developing an all electric car.

My wife likes the idea of the Hybrid but she hates the interior. She's grown so accustom to the LS' posh interior vs the Prius' ALL plastic.
That's an easy fix, my next car is likely to be a LS600hL It won't do 48 mpg, but it does have the amazing EV mode, and a 5.0L V8 when I want power, it is perfect!
Old 01-26-09, 10:30 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

what do you guys think of the hs250 h or whatever it is called so far?? if you haven't heard i will save you the few minutes of searching; worlds first dedicated luxury hybrid 2010 lexus hs 250 h...

unfortunately for me the 600hL is a little outside my price range, but i would if i could.
Old 01-26-09, 10:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sojah
WOW, i had no idea about the workings of the hybrid cars. i don't actually think i've ever driven one,,, yet.. but i do thank you for getting me up speed on this. so what about just holding down the brake and gas (hahahaa , electric hybrid) peddle down at the same time. does it have enough torque to get the tires loose.??
1st of all, there is no need to brake torque the thing, since electric motor makes max torque at zero rpm. Again, I don't think it does anything if you hold both pedals down, if the brake is on, the computer just won't power up the electric motor.

The question would be, if you floor a Prius, does it make enough power to spin the tires? I never try it myself, but I am guessing no. 1st, the total system power of the Prius is weak. 2nd, the traction control is probably permanently on.

I have floored both the way more powerful GS450h (340hp) and LS600hL (440hp) on a track before, and those cars don't spin tires at all. That makes me think it is impossible to spin the tires on a 110 hp Prius.
Old 01-26-09, 10:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

what do you guys think of the hs250 h or whatever it is called so far?? if you haven't heard i will save you the few minutes of searching; worlds first dedicated luxury hybrid 2010 lexus hs 250 h...
The HS250h is VERY nice, basically the Camry Hybrid drivetrain in a Corolla body with Lexus luxury, I love it!

unfortunately for me the 600hL is a little outside my price range, but i would if i could.
Sure they are expensive now, but their value is dropping like a rock. 08' LS600 with less then 10k miles is going for $79k now, MSRP was $120k+. I am predicting they will worth around $40k in 2~3 years. So if you can afford a LS430 today, you can afford a LS600 in a few years

If not, there is always the cheaper GS450h and HS250h
Old 01-26-09, 10:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i know on my old gs400 that every time i reset the ecu i could spin the tires for a couple weeks. but it eventually slowed down and wouldn't spin them. hybrid aside i wonder if the new gs is the same way?? i can't imagine not being able to get the tires loose on that gs450h, that is just depressing sounding to me.
Old 01-26-09, 10:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i was thinking the hs250 for the wife' but if they made a wagon or hatchback version i would be all over that, but then you have something close to the rx400h which i am debating upgrading her into presently.

and i can't wait for the day that the ls600 is within my grasp, but as the days in my ls430 go on i am loosing interest in the new ls body style. it just doesn't do it for me since my friends camry looks the same... sort of...
Old 01-26-09, 11:07 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry for chatting in your thread airtime

i know on my old gs400 that every time i reset the ecu i could spin the tires for a couple weeks. but it eventually slowed down and wouldn't spin them. hybrid aside i wonder if the new gs is the same way?? i can't imagine not being able to get the tires loose on that gs450h, that is just depressing sounding to me.
As we progress more and more into computer control, the less wild fun we will allow to have. That's just the way it is, whether we like it or not.
Old 01-26-09, 11:11 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

...but as the days in my ls430 go on i am loosing interest in the new ls body style. it just doesn't do it for me since my friends camry looks the same... sort of...
That's what I've thought since the first time I saw one. They look BLAND and just like all the other Toyotas and Nissans and Hondas and every other look-alike generic thing on the road today. I HATE that. MB S-class may be calling my name when it's time to replace the LS430.
Old 01-26-09, 11:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

hey airtime how long are you supposed to be out ur LS all together? did you decide on a new set of rims yet??
Old 01-26-09, 12:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I6turbo
That's what I've thought since the first time I saw one. They look BLAND and just like all the other Toyotas and Nissans and Hondas and every other look-alike generic thing on the road today. I HATE that. MB S-class may be calling my name when it's time to replace the LS430.
Agreed 100%. It looks exactly like a extra large ES350, I hate that.

But I don't have a choice, eventually my LS430 will get too old and there won't be any low mileage LS430 left on the market, and I don't like the German flavor. I do like the British flavor (Bentley), but they are way out of my budget
Old 01-26-09, 12:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i was thinking the hs250 for the wife' but if they made a wagon or hatchback version i would be all over that, but then you have something close to the rx400h which i am debating upgrading her into presently.
Since Toyota got 2 wagon/hatchback hybrid on the market already (RX400h/Prius), it is safe to say they will never make a wagon version of the HS. Not to mention the sales failure they had with the IS300 wagon.

and i can't wait for the day that the ls600 is within my grasp, but as the days in my ls430 go on i am loosing interest in the new ls body style. it just doesn't do it for me since my friends camry looks the same... sort of...
I feel exactly the same, see my post above. I much prefer the LS430 body style, both inside and out. But eventually I won't have a choice. There will be a point in the future where it is cheaper to buy a used low mileage LS600 then to replace everything in my LS430. Then I will suck it up and drive a HUGE Camry
Old 01-26-09, 12:45 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

hey airtime how long are you supposed to be out ur LS all together? did you decide on a new set of rims yet??
No word from the body shop since Friday. Guess they have to order the glass, install it, then tint it. Also need to order the trim. I'm guessing the insurance company is stalling a bit to find the replacement caps so they don't have shell out for brand new wheels. I did get a quote from D2auto for the D2Forged VS4. They do cost a lot, comparable in price at retail but D2auto is offering a discount so it would covered.

Am also looking for another ride. I need a convertible I've had several throughout the years and once you own one, you always pine for another. Something about air swirling around you. Cars considered are: Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche 911 Turbo, and Mercedes SL63. Mind you all of these would be pre-owned. If I were to keep the LS, then the cars in mind for that would be M3, SLK55, and Boxster. I know all of these will be money pits as I've done it before and you guys are going to flame me but I gotta live my life to the fullest
Old 01-26-09, 12:51 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Cars considered are: Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche 911 Turbo, and Mercedes SL63. Mind you all of these would be pre-owned. If I were to keep the LS, then the cars in mind for that would be M3, SLK55, and Boxster. I know all of these will be money pits as I've done it before and you guys are going to flame me but I gotta live my life to the fullest
Air...if your blessed enough to have a Aston Martin in your garage, do us all a favor and GET IT!!!!! and dont forget to POST PICS!!!!

Old 01-26-09, 12:52 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

the new m3 in a sedan would be ideal but i think i'd settle for 2 doors if the top came off... as for the others, i hear the slk55 hands down will spank 97% of the normal cars you would be aped to pull up next to at a light, this is what i think when i see one of them. a boxster is garbage; don't do yourself any favors, they are for people who just want to say they own a porsche. a 911 would be amazing but i wouldn't want to drive longer than 30 mins at a time. aston martin ehhh?? now your talking. a vantage is respectable but i believe they are in line with the boxster, if you do go the aston route do it right and save up for a db9. not only would you be my hero but you would be driving one of the best vehicles ever made for driving.

SOPhilly's got it right... JUST DO IT!!!

Last edited by sojah; 01-26-09 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: I've been violated