LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what do u think is better ls430 or 750li?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 03:07 PM
718LS430
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well yea im from queenz and i already got a 2005 Ls430 no i was just wondering and curious .. because my cousin just also got a ls430 but b4 that he bought a A8 05 i think but had a transmission problem and got rid of it and he said he liked the a8 interior ..another reason i asked was i see lots of ls430 750li and s550 around were i live and just wondered prsonally i like the Ls430 doesnt give any problems just a pain to drive in the snow due to it being rear wheel ..so thats wat i think..ohh also the reason i went with a ls is that lots of ppl told me bmw , audi and benz are constantly in the shop wit some sort of issue but i guess i cant say all of them are bad it also depends on the way its driven my uncle has a s500 never complains my boss had a q7 always taking it in to audi for electrical problems. my boy had a 745 also had issues

Last edited by 718LS430; 01-22-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 04:37 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What do you want?

The 750 has a much better ride, handling and road feel. I just wouldn't want to own it out of warranty, and service is not cheap. Some of the beemer interior doesn't quite appeal to me.

The LS is cheaper to keep, and it has better reliability. Ride is great for those who want smooth, quiet, etc.

If you want handling, nice road noise, etc., the LS is probably not for you. However, realistically - how often does anyone push their car around curves, turns, etc.

If you lease......reliability doesn't matter (unless you get a lemon & shop visits are a pain).

If it's me - I'd get the A8....better performance/ handling than the 750 and LS, awesome interior and technology inside. Really great finish on paint & interior.

The active suspension will make the A8 out handle the A4.

My vote: 1. The A8 2. LS 3. BMW

It's so objective. If a car purchase was rationale, none of us would even talk about these cars.
Old 01-22-09, 05:27 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Again, back to passion. If you're leasing, DO NOT lease what you think will be reliable. NOTHING on this planet now (except maybe Chrysler) is going to go have major issues within a 3 year/36K lease term. That's all within warranty anyway, so it's all covered. Lease what you want and will enjoy for those three years.

If you're going to buy used and keep for over 5 years and you know you'll get to the 100-150K range, then reliability should be a factor, but you should probably still make a more "desire" choice, since you're not keeping forever.

If you're going to keep until the car dies and you want something long term, then European is definitely not the answer and you will have to settle for quiet and smooth, but boring at times.
Old 01-23-09, 03:20 AM
lxus4xms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOTHING on this planet now (except maybe Chrysler) is going to go have major issues within a 3 year/36K lease term.

The fiat boys are not going to like you.
Old 01-23-09, 04:36 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Fiat

Originally Posted by lxus4xms
NOTHING on this planet now (except maybe Chrysler) is going to go have major issues within a 3 year/36K lease term.

The fiat boys are not going to like you.
ha ha.. that's true. Hey, I'm sure Chrysler will find a way to bring down Fiat quality like the way they did when DC took them. oh oh, did I open up a can of worms? Truth be told, it was DC that raped and destroyed Chrysler even further and left the pulp for others to chew on. Guess Fiat was really desparate.

Anyway, Fiat is not sold in the States, so who cares...
Old 01-23-09, 08:26 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
750.....good handling car, somewhat aggressive looking, nice features as far as gizzmos are concerned.....BAD STUFF...very very unreliable...too many issues with electronics....Navi is a the biggest POS....plain dash...guages are boring as well...even though the car is more expensive when they were new, used 750 prices are pretty much in line with the 430.

430.....boat, smooth, reliable, nice gizzmos as well, breeze to use Navi, never have to visit the dealership for anything...plus service is better. BAD STUFF...some people consider this car boring, very plain styling.
i agree with above, except I think LS guages are much more boring, maybe because I'm too used to Lexus cars (had several ES's and SC's in the family). I consider LS very boring compared to 750Li. It's your call dude! I bought my LS430 straightly for Luxury, Comfort, and Reliablity alone (and Saddle Interior made it little less lame IMO).
Old 01-24-09, 12:04 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I am pretty sure most people who don't own either car would tell you the 750 is a better car.

I am pretty sure most people would choose the 750 if they didn't have to pay for all the maintenence.

Having said that, I would never own a 750, because I, like many others, prefer smooth-quiet-comfort over performance.
Old 01-24-09, 01:56 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Under warranty or not, I want to know that I WONT have to be taking the thing to the dealer every other week. Reliability #1 in my book. That's why I bought a LS and not the BMW, Mercedes or Audi. Those things, while fun to drive, have a bad rep for reliability. You'll be taking off from work and the other things you like or have to do to drive down to the dealer and fight with them to get your car fixed.
Old 01-24-09, 06:38 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

A guy I knew had a son who was a doctor who bought him a brand new 750iL He drove it for 4 years and absolutely hated the car because it was in the shop constantly. He said the frequent back and forth to the dealership for service ruined the ownership experience for him. There were things (not sure what ) wrong with the car that the dealer simply couldn't fix. He couldn't wait to get rid of the car - he only kept it as long as he did was because he didn't want to hurt his son's feelings.

After he sold the car he asked me what he should get. I told him him to get an LS430 which he did a week later. He absolutely loves the car.
Old 01-24-09, 07:12 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Stories galore

Originally Posted by Stu
A guy I knew had a son who was a doctor who bought him a brand new 750iL He drove it for 4 years and absolutely hated the car because it was in the shop constantly. He said the frequent back and forth to the dealership for service ruined the ownership experience for him. There were things (not sure what ) wrong with the car that the dealer simply couldn't fix. He couldn't wait to get rid of the car - he only kept it as long as he did was because he didn't want to hurt his son's feelings.

After he sold the car he asked me what he should get. I told him him to get an LS430 which he did a week later. He absolutely loves the car.

The the BMW stories and the Lexus stories, the better I like it... I've never been into European cars, so never visited their sites but I am curious what issues that the 750 forums' owners experience...
Old 01-24-09, 07:57 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

at least you get free maintenance with BMW, which is a plus no matter how you cut it. I got rid of my 545i and 540i only because of reliability issues. I thought the 1st was was bad luck, but the replacement was just as bad.
Old 01-24-09, 10:18 PM
willmad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus is known for their reliability and resale which go hand in hand. Its hard to sell a BMW out of warranty, thats why their resale suffers. I own 2 LS430's and a 01 740il. I've driven every highend luxury car. I'm in the car business. BMW owners/lovers are willing to put up with the maintenance issues for the driving experience. The 7 series (e38 and e65/66) are more fun to drive and have a heavier more solid feel. Lexus has the best ride quality. In my opinion. I wish the 2 companies would merge and make a great driving,smooth riding, reliable car with great resale. Until then, we all need both
Old 01-25-09, 07:03 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default This sounds so contrite & cliche, but

Isn't it great, and aren't we so fortunate to be able to discuss the comparison of two great automobiles. We have means by which to buy and own them (new or not, etc), and we have a forum like this to talk to fellow enthusiasts everywhere.

I enjoy this forum. I am not a car snob in the sense of Lexus is THE best because I own one...or BMW is the best, because...etc. On a flight a few years ago, I sat next to the head of testing for Harley Davidson. I ride, so we talked bikes for a while. He said nothing irritated him more than Harley owners who had the attitude of if it's not a Harley, it's not a motorcycle. In fact, at the time, he owned a Honda - prior to that a BMW. HE said he rode his company's product every day for a living. He owned competitors products for fun, a change, and to benchmark against. He only had good things to say about all the mcycle manufacturers.

The only brands I don't care for are Mercedes, and Infiniti. I cannot understand what Nissan thinks when they design a car? I saw a brand new M35 at the office - imo it looked like an Impala. The cockpit looked like an attempt to be a 7 series cockpit.

Mercedes styling is so inconsistent. The new S & E class are decent looking cars, but the new SL is ugly along with most of the others. They are also trying to be a "luxury car who wants to be a performance car."

When it comes to maintenance and reliability, where MB was once a standard, they don't do well with JDPower ratings anymore. My mom (she's a creature of habit bless her) has a late model SL500 - she says even when she goes in for a minor service, by the time she picks up the car, the tab is over $1,000. When my dad decided to sell his '05 UL after a year (my dad doesn't keep cars long & he is biased toward MB), I suggested she take it instead of another S class. She said she preferred the MB. I suggested she drive the LS for a year, and then decide. She stuck with MB...now she's back to complaining about the dealer and the $1000 just to pass go...Still says she loves her car. To each his own.

BMW = Bring Money With you
BMW = Bring Mama's Wallet
Old 01-25-09, 12:08 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peronally i like

as opposed to

But as AlexusAnja said i bought for reliability cause my intentions were to keep it for years to come. So its all in what type of situtaion your in.....
Old 01-25-09, 12:53 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Personally I like (my garage)

As opposed to (their garage)

And that is one of the reason that swayed me to Lexus.

Quick Reply: what do u think is better ls430 or 750li?