LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430. Amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 01:11 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430. Amplifier?

No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430 UL. Amplifier?
Ok. It has been raining lately and I actually don't use my radio/CD much. Now it has no sound but the navigation guidance has sound. I searched up and down and concluded that 1. maybe rain gets into under the seat and a connection to the amplifier got wet and shorted out the amp? Or 2. the amplifier itself dying as a common problem not related to the rain?

It is a 2004 and warranty has just been expired but it has only 12k miles. Dealership said they can provide 30 min free troubleshooting and could request Lexus to cover the warranty (for low mileage).... So, I am here at the dealership, waiting, waiting and waiting.

They said one hr of waiting. Now it is 2.5 hrs (and they actually just started working on the car about 30 mins ago). Now they said 30 mins free is over and need $199 to buy a block of 1.5 hrs to continue. I told them to find out if Lexus will cover if it turns out to be the amplifier problem (which should have a TSB for it, even it is a 2004?) Technican went to lunch and another 45 mins of waiting and they now said Lexus still has not called back. They are putting the car back and when Lexus calls, they will call me.

So, we are back to this morning 10am, with nothing done except 3 hrs wasted.

When they call back, if LEXUS covers it, we will come back again. They will troubleshoot and go thru the same thing and may ask for $ for troubleshooting, etc, except I will know Lexus covers it if it is the amplifier. Hope then they would not say something else is the problem and are out of warranty. blah blah blah.

Maybe I will just go to a local audio shop and they will fix it for couple hundred dollars OR I can try fixing the amp myself (like an internal fuse?) OR I can get an used amplifier from ebay and replace it myself.

Going home now.... with the car unfixed and 3 hrs wasted.

Rain could get into under the seat? That means it is leaking from somewhere. Wouldn't that be a major problem? That could happen to a 2004?

That is why I always love to fix things myself.

Last edited by DEREKC; 01-02-09 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 01:43 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Logged out and back in. I was about to leave and the service advisor said all things lead to a bad amplifier and he will wait for LEXUS to call and mostly I will have to talk to them after that because they like hearing from the customers.

Question is... Was the dealership trying to charge more time unneccesarily - $199 for another block of 1.5 hrs? I think just the symphoms can tell it is the amplifier, without really taking it out to check? (Fuses are all good - I checked.) OR they have a special machine / flowchart procedure to narrow down the source of the problem? I heard a lot of you keep bringing cars back to dealership for one problem... meaning they really don't have any better way to narrow down the problem (audio/amp) except to keep on changing parts.

Glad I didn't send my wife to do that. Otherwise, they might have even more ways to ask for more $.
Old 01-02-09, 02:41 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the PDF listed on this page. It should atleast get you into some more diagnostics that you have at the moment. File is AU001-06.pdf in case this link doesn't work. I'm not sure what the nav options are to check for the amplifier having a fault - I think it is in the diagnostic menus but I'm not sure where.
Old 01-03-09, 01:14 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Thank you. Nice to see the troubleshooting procedures. It is the amp that is defective. Easy troubleshooting. Shouldn't have taken more than 20 mins even for me.
Old 01-03-09, 03:30 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you verify that it was the amp that was the problem?
Old 01-13-09, 09:26 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Everything is working except simply no sound when playing audio (CD, AM/FM). For my LS430, the navigation guidance bypasses the amplifier and it still works. I did a lot of reading and led me to believe it is the amplifier (which is known problematic.)

And then AU001-06.pdf confirms it.

Last edited by DEREKC; 01-26-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-13-09, 09:45 AM
Bigstyle09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem, navi sound works fine and the radio turns on but no sound from that or the CD. It's been driving me crazy. Any thoughts on where to get an Amp at a reasonable price? I was also told that one of my speakers must have a short in it and that's what caused my Amp to blow. Any thoughts on that as well? Thanks
Old 01-14-09, 07:01 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

I had the same exact problem before. Turned out to be my amp. I took it to a local amp shop and they fixed it. Lexus wanted me to get a new amp.
Old 01-26-09, 10:46 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Ok. Bought an ML amp off ebay for $320. Swapped it out and problem fixed.
BTW, it is painful to get into the amp. It is right above the gas tank inlet but on the other side of the car. Be careful not to break those clips.
Old 01-26-09, 10:49 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JemmyTran
I had the same exact problem before. Turned out to be my amp. I took it to a local amp shop and they fixed it. Lexus wanted me to get a new amp.
Jemmy, yours is a ML? I was told that no one yet could work on the inside of the ML amplifier because there is no schematic diagram released. Maybe it was something else (a fuse?) that your shop would not like you to know? You took the amp out and they fixed it?

(All shops are good to hide the true facts to make the most money from you!)
Old 01-27-09, 11:04 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

True but I dropped off the amp to the shop and they repaired it. I took the amp home and installed it myself and it worked.
Old 02-01-09, 09:53 AM
Bigstyle09
Driver School Candidate

The only Amp I see on Ebay is $450. a little prcey for my budget. Also, is there a link o here to remove the Amp. Also JemmyTran dropped it off to be fixed, how much did it cost and how do you find a shop that does that in New York? Thanks
Old 02-01-09, 08:44 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

True but I dropped off the amp to the shop and they repaired it. I took the amp home and installed it myself and it worked.
Jemmy, you have a 2001 LS430? I think the amp is different than the 2004-06 amp, especially if I have a Mark Levinson amp.

Below is the reply I got from Bob at www.carstereohelp.com. They are a big guy for repairing amps.

=================================================
Hi Derek,
This is an amplifier we have not been able to figure out how to repair yet. There is no technical service literature, support or parts available at this time. I'd suggest a salvage yard. But, I'm sure the dealer$hip would be happy to sell you a new one.
Good luck, if you find a source I would like to know!
Bob
www.carstereohelp.com

----- Original Message -----
To: 'fcsr@msn.com'
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:10 PM
Subject: Can you guys repair an amp off a 2004 LS430 with Mark Levinson sound system?

Can you guys repair an amp off a 2004 LS430 with Mark Levinson sound system?
What is the procedure if so?

Or you have one for sale?

RE: http://carstereohelp.com/
=================================================
Old 02-21-09, 05:32 PM
speedemon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bigstyle09
I am having the same problem, navi sound works fine and the radio turns on but no sound from that or the CD.
Bigstyle, what year is yours?
Bigstyle and JemmyTran I have the same issue on an '01 LS430 UL with the ML Audio, but mine works sometimes usually when it's cold, or if it has been on for 5-30 minutes. The question I have for both of you and anyone else reading this that has the same issue, when this was happening, did you lose the ASL button under audio on the nav screen, also did you lose the midrange adjustment, and not be able to adjust the bass or treble or any of the fade or balance settings under the sound option under audio like it was locked out? Not sure if the Amp would cause my issue so I'm trying to get others feedback. I've disconnected the Lexus Link system by disconnecting the 4 white connectors and connecting them to the other one basically looping the Lexus Link wires and bypassing it, on the trunk floor on the right by the DVD unit.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-09, 06:53 AM
bruhhman
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I have the same problem on an 01 LS430 with an ML system. I took it to two different dealerships, and both suggested a full replacement at $800. It just seems to me that such a high end vehicle shouldn't see such an occurence. I would understand better if the dealershp could explain that something occured to blow the amp. But they just indicate that it just doesn't work anymore. I have owned cars of lesser quality, and in fact abused the sound system, but never had them just stop working. Do we suspect that this a common problem that Lexus should consider backing?

Quick Reply: No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430. Amplifier?