LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430. Amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 10:43 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedemon
Bigstyle, what year is yours?

Bigstyle and JemmyTran I have the same issue on an '01 LS430 UL with the ML Audio, but mine works sometimes usually when it's cold, or if it has been on for 5-30 minutes. The question I have for both of you and anyone else reading this that has the same issue, when this was happening, did you lose the ASL button under audio on the nav screen, also did you lose the midrange adjustment, and not be able to adjust the bass or treble or any of the fade or balance settings under the sound option under audio like it was locked out? Not sure if the Amp would cause my issue so I'm trying to get others feedback. I've disconnected the Lexus Link system by disconnecting the 4 white connectors and connecting them to the other one basically looping the Lexus Link wires and bypassing it, on the trunk floor on the right by the DVD unit.

Thanks.

The only problems I was having was no sound coming from the speakers when I was playing music.
Old 04-29-09, 05:15 AM
opie
Driver School Candidate

Frankly, I don't hear an improvement in sound quality. And while we're on this subject, I'm not sure what the big deal is with ML. I rented a Hyundai Sonata while in Hawaii recently and the stock audio system sounded much better than my LS430 with ML. Crisper mid range with tight bass (plus stock iPod docking). Maybe I have a blown sub and don't know it?

p.s. the photos I uploaded are available in super large sizes. For instance...

Just PM me or send me a message via Flickr for access to larger photos.
Old 05-04-09, 02:50 PM
opie
Driver School Candidate

Default Refurb Amp

So I did a little further sleuthing today.

For $260, you can send your amp to Electronics Masters in Deluth, GA. They, will ship you back a refurbished ML amp. According to the tech I spoke with, they ship them back to ML and exchange with refurbs.

Ask for Naheed.
ph: (678) 957-0686

note: I have zero connection with these guys, and can't vouch for their work. The amp I have installed is working fine however and supposedly came from their shop. I paid $325 because I had an eBay middle man in between me and the shop in GA.

If someone is interested in buying my old amp to play with or use it for exchange purposes, I have it available. Call me at 303.746.6896.
Old 08-05-09, 07:53 PM
cdc1017
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the advice. My sound went out yesterday. My radio has power, it scans for stations, but absolutely no sound. Does this sound like the amp. I hate to order one, do the install, and find out it was something else. I don't think I can then return the amp if it's not the problem. Any idea as to how I can be sure?

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-06-09, 09:40 AM
speedemon
Rookie

if you're actually in MD check out http://www.lexusofwilmington.com/AboutServiceAndParts (no affiliation) they had a decent price on a refurbished unit but you need to let them check your car out, an hours labor I think and then they will order one. Unfortunately they won't sell you one without diagnosing the vehicle first. Although you may want to sift through this site and lexus owners club to get a better idea that it is an amp problem. I think the '04 is a different amp compared to the 01-03 so I'm not sure if it suffers from the same issues that the '01's do. I priced refurbed amps out all over the place and my brother lives up that way so that is how I found them. good luck
Old 01-20-10, 02:04 PM
schow07024
Driver School Candidate

I just call Naheed in Electronics Masters in Deluth, GA. Now he wants $450 for the exchange, but comes with one year warranty.
Old 06-29-10, 05:50 AM
LillaGubbo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for an excellent thread!

I have exactly the same problem (no sound, no tone control...) on my '01 LS430, so it is clear that I need to replace the ML amp.

You guys worry about the cost of $800 from Lexus dealers - here in Sweden they ask almost $3.000 for the same amp!

I'm thinking of getting one from the US, but the shipping and taxes and everything adds a lot of costs...

Maybe I'll just listen to the silence instead.
Old 06-30-10, 04:55 PM
jamesz3
Driver School Candidate

DEREKC - Do you have the contact information for the guy who purchased the Non-working AMP from you. I also replaced the Mark Levinson Amp and want to sell the non-working unit. Thanks!
Old 03-17-11, 07:13 AM
LillaGubbo
Driver School Candidate

Since my last post I have been searching for a used amp on Ebay and other places, but no luck.

Recently a friend was going to California on vacation so I arranged with him to bring my amp to a Lexus dealer to get a refurbished one - all was agreed on phone, but when my amp was delivered to Lexus they refused to exchange it because my car's VIN number was not in their database...

Sadly, my only option was to buy a new amp for over $1.800... I did, after all this price is much cheaper than here in Sweden.

Now I can listen to music again!

Anyone interested in my broken amp?
Old 05-15-11, 07:10 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

How nice!!!
I left Philly with the wife and kids and headed to Orlando (Disney).
Car performed well on the 1100 mile trip. As soon as we entered FL the volume control froze up. Still heard volume but it would not adjust. I powered off the stereo and restarted... nothing. Same symptoms and all others. No sound and all adjustment buttons are no longer working. So now I have to drive 1100 miles back home with no radio
Anyway with all of the great knowledge and experience here has anyone tried to repair the amp or even test to determine the problem?
If amp shops are fixing these units then it is safe to say they are just swapping out some parts. They are not swapping out the mother board or processors. I am leaning towards a faulty capacitor or resistor. My 94' LS had some issues with the fuel gauge. Turned out to be a bad resistor that cost $.32 to fix. When I get back home I am going to pull the cover off and start spraying some cooling spray on the components to try to isolate what if any parts are overheating and causing this issue. Seems like some people have had their units work when they are cool. This is a tell tale sign that something is overheating and causing the unit to fail. I will keep you posted.
Joe
Old 05-21-11, 07:42 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
How nice!!!
I left Philly with the wife and kids and headed to Orlando (Disney).
Car performed well on the 1100 mile trip. As soon as we entered FL the volume control froze up. Still heard volume but it would not adjust. I powered off the stereo and restarted... nothing. Same symptoms and all others. No sound and all adjustment buttons are no longer working. So now I have to drive 1100 miles back home with no radio
Anyway with all of the great knowledge and experience here has anyone tried to repair the amp or even test to determine the problem?
If amp shops are fixing these units then it is safe to say they are just swapping out some parts. They are not swapping out the mother board or processors. I am leaning towards a faulty capacitor or resistor. My 94' LS had some issues with the fuel gauge. Turned out to be a bad resistor that cost $.32 to fix. When I get back home I am going to pull the cover off and start spraying some cooling spray on the components to try to isolate what if any parts are overheating and causing this issue. Seems like some people have had their units work when they are cool. This is a tell tale sign that something is overheating and causing the unit to fail. I will keep you posted.
Joe

*************Update****************
On Tuesday (we left to come back home on Thursday) morning I started the car and the radio was working. I thought that it would work for an hour or so until the amp heated up. Since we were only a few miles from the parks the amp never heated and it worked well. I thought for sure that it would fail again on the 1100 mile trip home. To my surprise there were no issues at all. I am not going to tear into the amp unless she gives me issues again.
If so I will post an update here.