LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430. Amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 08:00 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruhhman
Hey guys, I have the same problem on an 01 LS430 with an ML system. I took it to two different dealerships, and both suggested a full replacement at $800.Do we suspect that this a common problem that Lexus should consider backing?

Bruhhman are the options under sound un-adjustable and does the ASL button disappear on yours?

Does it ever work or is it completely dead?

Also do you have the Lexus Link system? and is it still connected so it mutes the audio when first started? I've seen on other posts where people have disconnected the LL and the audio issue went away. To disconnect it all you have to do is switch the 4 white connectors around on the trunk lower right floor, basically that loops the LL system to itself and reconnects the harness to itself.

Lexus will not back them unless you have a warranty or have very recently come off of warranty. The one in my car lasted 8 years that I'm sure is more than sufficient in their eyes.
Old 02-22-09, 01:32 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There were a lot of problems associated with ML amps during the 2001 year. I've posted before part numbers for the updated version used in '02 models that was greatly improved ('01 GS owners face very similar issues.)
Old 02-23-09, 09:27 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
There were a lot of problems associated with ML amps during the 2001 year. I've posted before part numbers for the updated version used in '02 models that was greatly improved ('01 GS owners face very similar issues.)
Agreed, at least from all the posts I've seen it does appear that the amp in the '01's are problematic, but the issue that I'm having works when it wants to and the ASL button and stuff disappears like what happened to Lexusthai, that issue is the only one I can find that appears that it was doing the exact same as mine. I'm just trying to prevent buying a $700 amp if it's actually one of the control units for the center stack. It's troubling that the buttons and options disappear and that is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on buying an amp. I replied to this trying to get Lexusthai to respond and I also sent a pm.

It seems to always work in the morning when it's cold outside, but with the sun on the dash right now (still somewhat cold out side) and after sitting for a few hours it is not working. I'm thinking it might be something in the dash, that's why I'm trying to get Lexusthai's feedback.

Edit - Meant to put the link from the other thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...av-disc-q.html

Last edited by speedemon; 02-23-09 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added link to other thread
Old 03-19-09, 11:52 AM
Bigstyle09
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an ML Amp off Ebay. Does anyone have any instructions or picture showing how to remove the Amp? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-09, 08:02 AM
opie
Driver School Candidate

Did you find instructions? Was the problem with your audio the AMP or something else?

Having the same issue and some help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-09, 08:38 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My turn to contribute.
Attached is the PDF you need.
Be careful not to break those clips. They aren't cheap.
Oh, too big to attach.
PM me if you need it.
Old 04-09-09, 08:38 AM
eld664
Driver School Candidate

Smile 2001 ML Amp

I had the same problems with my ML amp. It worked off and on for months then finally died. When it cuts out you can't adjust the sound controls. I wasted about a month trying to get it repaired and then two days at an audio shop that tried to replace it with after market. I discovered that you must have the ML amp installed the nav to work and even if you wanted to add an after market it has to be feed by the the ML amp. There are very few of these in salvage yards because the cars aren't scrapped often. So it was time to bite the bullet. I was going to order from a NY dealer for $750 which did not include tax but figured I would check with a Lexus dealer I found before when ordering mats on EBay. Sewell Lexus in TX had it for $650 and minimal shipping charges so that saved $100 bucks and taxes. I installed the new amp and it sounded better when old amp from when I first got the car. The ML amp is a long device held up by 3 screws behind a trunk panel on the passenger side wall. This is one of the few things that I think is worth getting from the dealer. The originals had lousy parts and I think the refurbished ones from the dealer have been upgraded which may explain the sound difference I notiiced.
Old 04-09-09, 08:53 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Here is the page for removing the amp.

In my case, I bought one on ebay for $350 and sold my dead one on ebay as-is for $250. I think that guy can make Lexus swapping the dead one for a good one and he sells them at retailed price.
Old 04-09-09, 09:07 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DerekC - where did you get the page image showing the location from?
Old 04-09-09, 09:14 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

The PDF for that chapter is too big to attach. I exported the page into JPG and put it in the gallery and copied and pasted the link from there.
Old 04-09-09, 11:49 AM
speedemon
Rookie

I finally got a replacement amp today and it works as well, I guess the disappearing buttons are an indication that the amp is bad.
Old 04-09-09, 04:27 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DEREKC
The PDF for that chapter is too big to attach. I exported the page into JPG and put it in the gallery and copied and pasted the link from there.
What was the source for the PDF? I'm happy to pay to subscribe to the source if it's online somewhere.
Old 04-10-09, 08:38 AM
opie
Driver School Candidate

Pages 75-45 and 75-48 would be helpful as well.
Old 04-28-09, 09:15 PM
opie
Driver School Candidate

Here's my closeout (hopefully)..

note: I posted this on another Lexus forum as well.

I bought a used amp on eBay. The seller described the amp as remanufactured but when it arrived, there was no factory remanufactured sticker. I did order the p/n that ended in 01, not 0 so hopefully it will be OK (the supposedly upgraded part).

Installation went well. I had some trouble with a round plastic fastener at the far front of the side panel (the piece with the pocket) and this makes access more difficult than it should be. Oddly, this particular fastener had a sticky rubber coating which made re-installation much easier. It sticks to your finger when you go to replace it. Be sure to use this exact fastener in this particular place when you put everything back together.

All-in, it took me a little longer than an hour. It would have been faster had I done the procedure before. The replacement amp seems to be working fine and the sound is back. When I had finished, I opened up my old amp to see if there was an obvious problem. Although one part of the board was discolored, there was nothing else obviously wrong.

I thought I'd be helpful and provide photographs for those that follow in my footsteps. Some of the photos have notes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oparvez...7617363721873/

I hope this helps others...

Last edited by opie; 04-28-09 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 09:53 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Excellent post. Thanks so much for the pictures inside the ML amp - I suspect this is a first view inside the amp itself. I've never seen photos anywhere of it posted before. They seriously have that amp packed away in the trunk.

Glad your audio is back and working as well. Does it sound better than before your old amp died?

Quick Reply: No sound but Navi ok on my 04 LS430. Amplifier?