LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to Adjust Your Headlights Writeup w/Pix

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 03:36 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the horizontal adjustment? Can the lights be adjusted left or right?

I'm curious because AFS adjusts the drivers side light by a bunch. But the passenger side light barely moves to the right when i'm making a turn in that direction. I'm wondering what might be causing it. Do you guys noticed a larger amount of left movment in your drivers side light, than you get right movment in your pass side?
Old 07-24-10, 08:15 PM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

Default anyone one left to right?

My lights are pointed down.... for years.. time to make the adjustment but I have a siamese cat look too.. crossed eyed
Old 08-10-10, 10:51 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

great thread ! i need to ajust my lights. im tired of running over random animals on the road =/
Old 03-03-11, 12:50 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
How about the horizontal adjustment? Can the lights be adjusted left or right?

I'm curious because AFS adjusts the drivers side light by a bunch. But the passenger side light barely moves to the right when i'm making a turn in that direction. I'm wondering what might be causing it. Do you guys noticed a larger amount of left movment in your drivers side light, than you get right movment in your pass side?
Normal. Passenger side is like half of the movement of drivers side in a turn... 5 degrees vs 15 degrees, or something like that.
Old 03-03-11, 01:10 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

cool find! I love threads like this - I thought my headlights were normal but after reading this I think they are shooting to low also - seems I only have about 50-60 yards of true visibility.
Old 08-16-11, 07:53 PM
GHSER7
Lead Lap

Quick and easy....thanks for the DIY!
Old 09-25-13, 02:12 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I had to change the lowest passenger-side lightbulb so I reaimed the lights at the same time. I used a 10mm ratchet on the front gear to aim both high and low at the same time. When you don't take apart the connecting rod cover, the connecting rod spins both sets of gears without slipping.

For adjusting high and low independently, you could pop out the entire headlight assembly if you want to have an easier time removing the connecting rod cover. Besides the 2 10mm bolts, you have to disengage the side pin by pushing the entire headlight assembly towards the radiator - see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8151600-post10.html. Then the whole thing comes out easily enough.

Side note: if you pop out the passenger side headlight assembly, you have direct access to the 2 parking sensors underneath. Easier than removing the fender or bumper. Haven't popped out the driver side headlight so I can't say.
Old 09-10-14, 02:56 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

For some reason, I had to turn the bolt inside a LOT in order for my headlamps to move. I was worried that something was going to break, so I just kept turning and turning, very slowly and gently ..... and finally the headlight moved up ......

Thanks to all .... love this place !

Last edited by Stu; 09-17-14 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 07:40 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

why am I bumping this ? For almost 4 years I drove with my lights aimed too low. It took 10 minutes to adjust and the difference is unbelievable.

If you don't think you see the road ahead well at night, you need to do this !
In the city, it really doesn't matter much .... on the highway its really amazing

Last edited by Stu; 09-17-14 at 08:34 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 10-05-14, 08:18 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just wanted to say a huge

THANK YOU to the OP

Great write up and tutorial.........easy fix.....problem solved......

Just bought my LS430 2004 had drivers side low beam aimed up to blind on coming drivers....it was so bright I couldnt even look straight at it at night from 25 yards away........

my additional thoughts....tips......

I did not have a lot of slack in my wire harness .....So I removed surrounding plastic covers....especially the one to the left to give a little space to hold the black box out of the way....I actually bungeed it to the hood latch......I put a rag over the electrical panel to the left because there is a ton of wires in there

Then I went after the little white plastic cover....it was as the OP stated......and yes u could easily adjust the headlights without removing the white cover.....but the catch is u would raise or lower both high and low beam......in my case I just needed to lower low beam.

To remove white plastic cover you will need to use the correct size phillips tip or driver....I say the correct size because its a small screw and u need good contact with it to remove...especially in such tight quarters. As the OP stated....the bottom blind screw is tricky.............my tips.....I placed a towel under the area to catch screw if it fell out..........I used a dental mirror to help me see and get connected to screw.........if u have a magnetized phillips head I strongly recommend it........I did as the OP said and used a socket wrench with adapter to a phillips bit.......once the screw was almost out I put a magnet down there to catch the screw.......PHEW....

Once the white cap is off......again.....do as the OP said......mark the sprockets with a sharpie for reference...........I also marked the rod so I could put it back in exactly how I found it.

Once rod is marked....and maybe a few pics w your phone have been taken.....pull the rod out...no big deal.......then get your socket wrench out.....attach to the sprocket u want to adjust and go to town.......In my garage before I started to adjust...I placed a large white board in front of my car....I turned on the headlights and marked w blue tape where the lights top edge was on the board.............then with headlights on I started lowering the light ...watching on my board as it went down.....I took mine down 4 inches........it is now perfect and I wont be getting flashed anymore by oncoming drivers............

Note.....when putting the screws back in the white cap.....i used blue tape and taped each screw to my mini screw driver so I could get the screw started without it falling into the abyss.......especially the tricky bottom one........

hope this helps........
Old 09-24-15, 08:17 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Sorry to bump up this thread. I was wondering if there is an adjustment for tilt? I hit a pothole last night and now my passenger headlight is aiming really high (like it shines the overhead street signs in the street). I noticed the tilt may be a little off too, so the light cutoff is not straight. Not sure if this will be fixed once I adjust the aim down.
Old 09-24-15, 01:59 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Hello,

Sorry to bump up this thread. I was wondering if there is an adjustment for tilt? I hit a pothole last night and now my passenger headlight is aiming really high (like it shines the overhead street signs in the street). I noticed the tilt may be a little off too, so the light cutoff is not straight. Not sure if this will be fixed once I adjust the aim down.
No, the projector will not tilt horizontally. But if you lower it down, it should go back to normal.
If it doesn't go back to normal after you bring it down, then you might have rifted or cracked the bracket. Which I HIGHLY doubt, I've seen those brackets and they're very very strong.

So go ahead and aim it down till it matches the driver's side, and I think it will go back to normal.

Another thing to note is, if you think the projector shifted a little bit more to the right or to the left vertically, that can be adjusted by the very far to the right adjustment screw. You will see a whole once you pop the hood, right over the fender line. You will need a very long, maybe 12 inches screw driver to re-adjust this one.

Last edited by KING; 09-24-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 02:11 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-25-15, 10:40 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I adjusted the passenger headlight just now, and now the level is more even. I have to do it at night against a wall or something to get a better idea and further adjust. I attempted to do it without removing the little cover. I used a 10mm socket to make the adjustment but I heard some "crunching". Upon removing the cover noticed the rod was damaged, so use this as a warning to remove the rod.

Additionally I noticed my high beams were pretty level (before the low beam adjustment) so I left it alone. I did notice that it was aiming towards the center of the car though, so it might need left/right adjustment. So is there a way to adjust that?
Old 09-25-15, 11:36 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikevanle
So I adjusted the passenger headlight just now, and now the level is more even. I have to do it at night against a wall or something to get a better idea and further adjust. I attempted to do it without removing the little cover. I used a 10mm socket to make the adjustment but I heard some "crunching". Upon removing the cover noticed the rod was damaged, so use this as a warning to remove the rod.

Additionally I noticed my high beams were pretty level (before the low beam adjustment) so I left it alone. I did notice that it was aiming towards the center of the car though, so it might need left/right adjustment. So is there a way to adjust that?
I guess you missed my previous post.

Quick Reply: How to Adjust Your Headlights Writeup w/Pix