LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Remove Front Bumper and Replace Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 08:30 AM
dewalt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Front Bumper and Replace Parking Sensors

I need to replace at least 1 (maybe 3, according to the Lexus dealer) of my front parking sensors. The sensors have shorted, and I get the annoying beep for that corner of the car when park assist is on. They're quoting me $1000 for the job, and I can definitely get the parts for a 1/3 of that.

Anyone here have any experience in removing the front bumper? I haven't taken a look down there yet, but I was told it's not hard.

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430
Old 10-07-08, 10:36 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you want you can go through the wheel well right by the front tires, and reach the sensors instead of taking your front bumper off.....
Old 10-07-08, 12:07 PM
dewalt
Driver School Candidate

Really? When I looked down from the hood, it looked like I had to go through the bumper.

Although, it makes sense, since I just saw a picture of a sensor, and its orientation was vertical, rather than horizontal.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 10-07-08, 01:45 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The beeping may simply be too many coats of paint or too thick paint on the sensors. Try scraping off the paint from the sensors with a flathead screwdriver and see if that doesn't calm them.
Old 10-07-08, 01:55 PM
dewalt
Driver School Candidate

The dealer tested them and said that 3 of them have shorted.

My bumper was repainted a long time ago, and this just happened randomly in March. Since I dont drive the car much, it hasn't bothered me. But I figured I try and get this fixed at some point.

Has anyone taken the sensors off by reaching your hand up?
Old 10-07-08, 08:20 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dewalt
I need to replace at least 1 (maybe 3, according to the Lexus dealer) of my front parking sensors. The sensors have shorted, and I get the annoying beep for that corner of the car when park assist is on. They're quoting me $1000 for the job, and I can definitely get the parts for a 1/3 of that.

Anyone here have any experience in removing the front bumper? I haven't taken a look down there yet, but I was told it's not hard.

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430

The sensor alone cost about $215/ea. If the quote is for replacing one sensor, I'd take it somewhere else or just take bumper off and do it yourself. Good luck.
Old 10-08-08, 05:55 AM
dewalt
Driver School Candidate

The quote was for replacing all three sensors. I can get 3 new sensors from Iron Toad at $150/ea. For comparison, dealer pricing is at $250/ea.

But if I can get my hands on the sensors without removing the bumper, doing it myself is a no brainer.
Old 10-08-08, 09:37 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

To me it sounds cheaper to just bump into stuff. I have always been a fan of parking by feel, thats how we used to do it in NYC.
Old 05-18-10, 08:27 AM
jon657
Driver School Candidate

so did you have to take the bumper off or were you able to go through the wheel well?
Old 05-22-10, 01:38 PM
LS617
Driver

I'm now experiencing that problem too. One of my sensor continues to beep, so i just shut it off.
Old 05-22-10, 02:49 PM
tkbalt
Driver

I have had mine in (Dealer) for parking sensors twice (CPO) since I got the car. They removed the front bumper cover each time.
Old 05-24-10, 12:03 PM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure they are painted for 150 each.
Just replaced 2 of them, but it was in the rear.
Old 06-02-10, 10:15 AM
StlLexusTe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the bumper cover to get at the sensors. There is one screw behind the wheelhouse liner right where the bumper cover, wheelhouse liner and fender meet. remove it (just pry the liner out of the way. Open the hood and remove the black retaining clips. There is also a hex head screw holding the wheelhouse liner to the bumper cover, and the rest of the screws are underneath the vehicle where the bottom of the cover is screwed to the engine under-cover. There are also 2 10mm nuts holding the bumper cover to the fender at the lower rearward edge of the headlamp. you will need a long extension and a 10mm socket to remove these. when you remove the wheel house liner screws, look behind the fender toward the front of the car. the 2 nuts are in there. Not hard job once you do it. (just really hard to explain how in text)
The following users liked this post:
LexRex (03-27-20)
Old 08-13-12, 05:53 PM
grut
Driver School Candidate

My 2005 LS430 with 88Kmiles just started acting up with the park assist sensor flushing forward object whenever I hit the brakes and when stopped even when I am the only one on the road!
Should I assume sensor replacement or could it be fuse issue or what is it? anyone out there that knows please help. I would like to fix it myself.
Old 08-14-12, 03:15 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Parking sensors cannot get 'shorted'. It's the paint. It's too thick OR too thin. You'll manage...

Quick Reply: Remove Front Bumper and Replace Parking Sensors